BikeIndex: Worth re-registering my bikes from BikeShepherd?

I used BikeShepherd to register all my bikes. When attempting to register my newest bike, i saw that the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry now links to BikeIndex. They used to link to BikeShepherd.
Is there any advantage to re-register all my bikes on Bike Index? They both look similar.
Thoughts?

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know that I'm more detail oriented, but I agree with this message. None of the registration sites has a security staff that goes out and looks for your stolen bike. The value is in the exercise of photographing, describing your bike and writing down your serial number. That's the exercise that enhances your ability to recover a stolen bike.

h' 1.0 said:

Kevin can probably explain better as he's more of a 'detail' guy.... but a bit of history:

Sometime after we communicated with Bike Shepherd and set up the connection, they went off in a more commercially oriented direction and kind of orphaned our relationship with them.

The Bike Index effort came along recently and after meeting with founder Seth we wanted to support it.

In my opinion, the main advantage of registering your bike is that you have something constituting proof (including most importantly a record of your serial number) if 'the bad thing' happens.

If you've already got that on your end, I wouldn't worry.

But I do want to see Bike Index succeed so I my vote is to give it a whirl if you have the time.

Seth registered my bike yesterday at The Comfort Station event and I stole some of his stickers for The Chainlink table setup at upcoming events.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service