The Chainlink

Because we all need to share triumphs and disasters with other people!

This morning's chilly ride went well, although I'm starting to wonder how I'll keep my face comfortable in January when I'm already wearing a balaclava over my cheeks right now. Gloves kind of failed: I was testing out some Garneau wind-blockers, and my pinky fingers went numb partway through. Looks like I'll be back to the Bar Mitts-and-gloves combo soon, unless I can figure out something else without dropping too much cash.

Also: I'm not sure about anyone else who's doing this for the first time, but I'm gonna have to invest in fleece bike pants. The snow pants shell + heavy capilene tights just aren't doing it for me.

Random winter experience: using my bike like a crowd control device to move a squirrel out of the traffic lane. I think he'd been grazed by a car; no visible injuries, but not interested in moving, either. It was a very gradual procession to the sidewalk. I'm pretty sure I amused/confused more than a few motorists who passed me on Oakbrook by MLK.

Views: 2325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Getting ready to head out of work, stop at home, and then head over to the Chainlink bar night. This was the coldest ride of the season for me and the first where I had to cover my ears (although there were a couple others where I wished I had covered my ears).  I felt good with my layering but definitely need some warmer gloves!  

I've ridden almost every day of the year for a few years now, and if it's any comfort this morning was more unpleasant for me that riding in January (I thought I'd heard it was supposed to be warmer today and I wore gloves with open fingers and a hat that didn't cover my ears.)

Once you get the clothing right it will be fine, although I don't know how long your commute is.

I love http://www.rei.com/product/789718/buff-wool-buff as a hat/balaclava/gator depending on the weather and/or a pair of 360 ear warmers. 

I really struggle to keep my legs feeling warm, even as I my core works up a sweat in a silk undertop and a light jacket.  I've got a pair of wind resistant Amfib tights under jeans and the skin of my legs still feel like ice when I get inside.  Any recommendations?

These transitional cold days with wind are the hardest. Coming off two weekends in a row with temps in the 60's and 70's, the wind chills in the 20's and 30's feel particularly harsh. If you stick with it, you'll acclimate (I kept telling myself this morning).

This has worked great for me until now, it is also my first winter biking. I'm from the tropics so this is a really big step. I'm really surprised as to how well your body stays warm through the ride if you are wearing the right layers. I usually bike 15-20 miles on my commute north through the Green Bay Trail and haven't had problems warming up my core. Nevertheless, I have to find a appropriate set of gloves, I felt that I was going to get frostbite today. :p

Robin Babb said:

This will be my first winter to bike through, also, and I'm trying to stock up on gear now. I've been trying to find some kind of warm cycling cap that will cover my ears and that can fit underneath a helmet - any suggestions?

The fabulous Erin (a Logan Square resident) hand makes great summer and winter cycling caps under the name Kozie Prery. The winter ones have full ear flaps. You can get them on her Etsy page.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KoziePrery

I and a bunch of BikeWinter kooks also make fleece balaclavas and gaiters that we give out for free at bike events throughout the season. I will be at Critical Lass tomorrow with some freebies if any ladies can make it. I'll also pass some on to Kim W. at West Town Bikes to keep at the shop for any customer who wants one. They should be there by next week at the latest. 

Oh and newbies, I've heard it's really helpful to keep a running document of the temperature/wind chill on a particular day and what you wore. If you were comfortable with that ensemble than you know it will work again at that temperature and if you were too cold/too warm you know how to amend it on the next go-round.

Not my first bike winter, but my first bike winter in the suburbs! We'll see how it goes. :)

Yesterday, I wore a thin fleece over-the-ears motorcycling beanie under my helmet.  I found that my Giro had to be loosened to fit--luckily I have a quick-adjust knob at the back of the helmet, so it wasn't difficult.  At the end of my ride, my beanie was soaked with sweat, so I either need to only wear it when I stop for a break or else get some sort of beanie with moisture management properties, like Gore-tex.  Under-helmet warmth is a common concern of bicyclists, motorcyclists and snowboarders, so there are plenty of options out there.

The rest of the stuff I wore over my work clothes worked fine: a thin zip-up fleece jacket, over that a heavier North Face fleece jacket with pit zips for heat adjustment, over that a down vest and finally a reflective vest.  Thin fleece gloves, thick socks, work polo, slacks and dress loafers.  Had to rub some mud splashes from my shoes after arriving, with a paper towel, but it was fine.

i'm a big big wool fan. wool balaclava for my face/neck/ears (icebreakers), wool baselayer top and bottom (icebreakers or nau), wool socks (smartwool), toss on regular clothes over that and i'm good to go. i got a snowboarding helmet, which has just enough ventilation to keep my head from sweating. 

my buddy joel says, if you're cold, you aren't pedaling hard enough.

i did a blog post over at ChicagoNow detailing some of my favorite winter gear: http://www.chicagonow.com/transportation-harmony/2011/11/cold-weath...

I've got the bottoms and top down, both of these are on their 4th winter season and look brand new. Machine washable and hang to dry.  For bottoms, just these tights are enough for me down to at least 10 degrees. They're so warm I wouldn't dare wear them until it falls below 35. It's nice not having much bulk on my legs

http://www.coldlizard.com/product/men/ms-swift-polartec%C2%AE-power...

Ground Effect in New Zealand makes some great stuff. I like their socks and particularly this jacket, its another one I can't bring out until it hits 40 or so. I only need a short sleeve wicking shirt under it now, will probably move to a long sleeve when its below 30.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-FRO-WIN.htm

Hands and face are my nemesis, I have a good balaclava but sunglasses don't cover everything, and no matter what product I use ski goggles always fog up on me when its super cold.

Fogging ski goggles are the result of cold air outside condensing the warm moist air from your forehead and eyes on the lens interior.  If you have major fogging problems, check to see that any adjustable vents are wide open--if you can get enough cold dry air inside the goggle, they won't fog.  If the goggles are badly designed to not permit enough air flow, you can look into a better pair.  I've always found the rub on paste wax Cat Crap very effective, though you have to reapply it whenever you begin to fog up.  While skiing, I often reapply several times a day.  And some folks, unclear on the concept, apply the anti-fog to the outside of the goggle rather than the warm moist inside, defeating the purpose.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service