The Chainlink

I'm looking for a place to get my frame sandblasted and painted at a reasonable price. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also know anywhere to get good decals?

Views: 971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recommend against diy paintjobs unless you want it to look like one, which can look really cool on the right bike. But I've stripped and painted a few frames with unreasonable expectations. This is the consensus of most people I know who have tried their hand at frame painting. When I'm ready to paint another frame I'll take it to a shop like UV Metal Arts. For Sure.
Mine is being powder coated at Advanced Enameling, 5849 S. Bishop. $75 for an in-stock color. I saw another they'd done while I was there, looked decent, I'll let you know how it turns out if I remember. Owner says one of his guys has done a bunch for himself and therefore knows what he's doing.

Why not wrap it in luxurious leather?

original source here

Ron from Lugs (1152 Milwaukee) was just saying he has a great guy that he's been sending everything off to. I even saw funky fenders and a rack come back in some damn cool colors. Lucky folks found the right spot!
leather does look snazzy. There are a lot of good options here. I am going to have to check into all of them this weekend. Thanks guys!
Oh this post came at exactly the right time!
I need my touring frame redone. Thing is kind of an eye sore.
Martin Hazard said:
... The downside is that they are on the edge of the known world, in South Chicago Heights- the most depressing place I could ever imagine. They can be reached at 708-754-3311. (ask for Bob)

hah, that's where i was born...

h
Just a report back: I picked up my frame yest. and they did a pretty good job. It's not 100% perfect: there's a very slight miss behind one of the braze-ons. It would probably be unnoticed once it's built up, but I also asked for some spare powder for touch-ups, so I'll probably experiment with it (instructions are available on-line). Def. worth the $75, which included blasting the existing coatings off.
I will probably have to chase all of the treads a little, but they're not too bad.

Homebuilt said:
Mine is being powder coated at Advanced Enameling, 5849 S. Bishop. $75 for an in-stock color. I saw another they'd done while I was there, looked decent, I'll let you know how it turns out if I remember. Owner says one of his guys has done a bunch for himself and therefore knows what he's doing.
What if I want my bike stripped and then clear-coated? As in, I want to look at steel and braze, not paint. Comments on practicality, durability, etc?
Depends on your frame material...If it is CroMo, then I would not recommend it, paint apart from looking good protects a frame. This is especially true for steel frames which are susceptible to rust. If it is Aluminum on the other hand go for it, you can lock a good quality Aluminum bike outside for years and the frame's finish will be still good as new...

-Ali

natesos said:
What if I want my bike stripped and then clear-coated? As in, I want to look at steel and braze, not paint. Comments on practicality, durability, etc?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service