The Chainlink

Big Shoulders Big City Bike Winter Classic Discussion and Photo Sharing Page

This month we kick off our second annual Winter Cycling Series. This year, we are honored and excited to offer the rides in partnership with Bike Winter. We are calling it the Big Shoulders Big City Bike Winter Classic. Riders that complete all four rides will get a commemorative t-shirt ONLY given to those that complete all four rides. On all rides, Bike Winter will be on hand to offer demonstrations, advice and/or workshops, and hand out free maps, balaclavas, water bottles, stickers and gators. The first ride is next weekend on Saturday November 28, 2009. Details for the rides are as follows:

Big Shoulders Big City Bike Winter Classic Ride#1
Uptown/Andersonville
Meet at Graceland Cemetery at the intersection of Clark and Irving Park
Saturday November 28, 2009 at 1:00 PM
Chainlink Page | Ross Felten poster | Route Map | Starting Spot

Big Shoulders Big City Bike Winter Classic Ride#2
Hyde Park
Meet at the Washington Park Field House at 5531 S Martin Luther King Drive
Saturday December 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Big Shoulders Big City Bike Winter Classic Ride#3
Lincoln Square
Meet at East River Park at 5100 N Francisco
Saturday January 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Big Shoulders Big City Bike Winter Classic Ride#4
West Town
Meet at Humboldt Park at the intersection of California and Division
Saturday February 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Ross Felten is my friend and the artist that does all of our posters. He always does a great job but this is my favorite one so far. Each of the “individual posters” is a winter recreation of the original poster (except Uptown which had a different theme for its poster), all combined into a single poster, with their community areas pinpointed in the larger community map in the center. Check out the full poster as well as Ross Felten’s chainlink page and website.

Until next time, thanks and stay warm, but keep pedaling.

Cheers,
– Lee Diamond
lee@bigshouldersrealty.com
773-255-6347

Views: 1457

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the links to the photo album I just threw together. Sorry for the delay:

http://www.thechainlink.org/photo/albums/tour-of-hyde-park

We are also going to hangout after the ride at the same spot as the last ride, namely, Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap, which is a great place and treated us well last time....why switch it if you like it? Try the grilled cheese with a pint of anything on tap. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Yummy.

See you Saturday! - Lee
Wow, Lee's Big Time! This weekend's ride made Crain's Chicago Business "10 things to do this weekend" column: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=36487
Cool. Thanks for letting me know Kevin. I am not quite the regular Crain's reader. Thanks!

Kevin Conway said:
Wow, Lee's Big Time! This weekend's ride made Crain's Chicago Business "10 things to do this weekend" column: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=36487
FYI, this route to get to Hyde Park is 18.7 miles. Around half bombing down Milwaukee.

Lee Diamond said:
NORTH SIDE MEET UP FOR HYDE PARK RIDE
Hello, hopefully the questions I have been getting regarding the north side meet up are a good indication of the interest in the ride. The total trek from the meeting place at the intersection of Elston and Milwaukee (THE SOUTHERN ONE RIGHT HERE) to the start of the tour at Washington Park is about 19 miles. Therefore since the tour starts at 1, it seems logical to make the meeting time at 11:30 AM, which gives northsiders 90 minutes to hike to the start of the tour. Remember, the tour itself is a 17-18 mile journey, so you could be looking at a pretty high mile day if you aren't used to that. Plus, it may be several miles of biking to get to the northside meet up which is near north side.
Just saying....

I have to haul at least two of my loaner bikes to the ride, plus my own so I can't join you, but I know of at least 3 riders who will be at the meet-up so there will be a group going down for sure. You can go anyway you like of course and a lot of people choose to take the lakefront path, which is easy enough, but if you are up for some cool architecture, you might want to try this:

Milwaukee south to Ogden
Ogden south to Racine
Racine south to 18th St.
18th St. east to Halsted
Halsted south to 35th St.
35th east to Michigan
Michigan south to Garfield (55th)
Garfield east to Martin Luther King Dr.

The field house is the mid-century modern brick building of no acclaim or pedigree. If you are standing in front of an impressive looking structure in Washington Park, you are in the wrong place.

Here is a map my ride link.

I am quite excited for this! I will post some public transportation info shortly and put a photo album of the area's architecute that will be featured on the tour together. No promises about having the virtual tour done before the tour, but it is being worked on.

Can't wait to see you all! _ Lee
SHEETZENHEIMER!

Ryan,

Thank you for being diligent in noting this....there were two different routes I made. One was from the top of the knife at Elston and Milwaukee at 6100 North just above Peterson, to the bottom of the knife where Elston and Milwaukee meet again at 900 North just above Chicago Avenue.

So the good news is I have updated the map. The other good news is the meeting place is the same. ELSTON AND MILWAUKEE JUST NORTH OF CHICAGO AVE at 11:30 tomorrow, Saturday December 19, and the mileage is much less. From that point it is about 9.4 miles, much less than advertised.

So basically, I posted the wrong map, and made my mileage comments and time frames using that map. Should have known but my brain is fried and I am feeling a little bit overwhelmy. Thank you Ryan for catching my error.

The bad news is I have to make sure noone goes to Milwaukee and Elston above Peterson and I have alloted about double the time you need to make it to the park in time.

I am sorry folks. This is a bonehead move on my part and I can only say that at least there are other festivities at the park to keep you occupied if you get there too early, namely Winter Fest 2009 which is ALSO happening in Washington Park, but meeting at a different place.

Weather looks like some nice actual snow, and low to mid thirties in temperature.

PERFECT.

Cheers and hope to see you tomorrow. - Lee Diamond

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
FYI, this route to get to Hyde Park is 18.7 miles. Around half bombing down Milwaukee.
Haha, you're welcome? I honestly didn't even realize it was an error. I was just noting that for people because riding Milwaukee can be a bit scary at times up north.

Lee Diamond said:
SHEETZENHEIMER!

Ryan,

Thank you for being diligent in noting this....there were two different routes I made. One was from the top of the knife at Elston and Milwaukee at 6100 North just above Peterson, to the bottom of the knife where Elston and Milwaukee meet again at 900 North just above Chicago Avenue.

Thank you Ryan for catching my error.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Well, you noticed that it was from the different merging of Elston and Milwaukee. That is what created the 18+ mile trip, and that is what I based the 90 minutes off of, but not a big deal anyway.

Rode the route today and caught a couple of detours based on construction, etc. Should be fun. See you there

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Haha, you're welcome? I honestly didn't even realize it was an error. I was just noting that for people because riding Milwaukee can be a bit scary at times up north.

Lee Diamond said:
SHEETZENHEIMER!

Ryan,

Thank you Ryan for catching my error.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Report Mr. Sulu!
How did it go? Looks like Aaron backed up his hard drive to chainlink this morning?
yuck yuck yuck....

H3N3 said:
Report Mr. Sulu!
How did it go? Looks like Aaron backed up his hard drive to chainlink this morning?
Report coming shortly. A brief report is this:

About 2 dozen of us gathered in Washington Park for what was the most wintery winter ride of the series this year or last, thus far. I personally had a blast, and except for one grumpy guy who borrowed one of my bikes, and then more or less complained from that moment on, I think most everyone there had a good time as well.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but my guess is this might be one of those that you can't please ANYTIME.

Cheers and stay tuned for a ride report. - Lee "Sulu" Diamond

H3N3 said:
Report Mr. Sulu!
Well done on the music and the Fountain of Time shots. Now it will haunt my dreams!

Brian Kennedy said:
Here's a little video of the Winter Hyde Park Tour. If you were there, you are in the video, so watch it!!! Proper credit given in the...credits. Go figure. Song: "Redneck Stomp" by Obituary. You have to love death metal instrumentals. I attached it as a wmv zip file, which may exclude some from being able to view it but I can't embed it because YouTube keeps catching the audio track as unauthorized!!!!
Nice Job Brian!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service