The Chainlink

Big bike weekend! Who's joining us at the Chicago Cycle Swap on Saturday??

It's a big weekend for bicyclists with the Bicycle Film Festival starting Thursday, the West Town Bikes Winter Meltdown Friday and the Chicago Cycle Swap on Saturday.

Stay safe out there while having fun, Chainlinkers. Don't forgot your $5 off coupon for the Swap.

Keep the rubber side down,

Ethan, with Active Trans

PS: we're still looking for some volunteers for the Swap, you can get in free by offering your services.

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heya Nick,

It was in the vendor info on the site at some point and probably in what was sent out, but the info's been pared down now that vendor registration is closed . . . no wifi at PPF, sorry. It's "Bring your own Dongle."

I'm having work done at the house but I printed and handed the $5 coupon to several of my coworkers who showed interest.  Good luck!

Thanks for the support init!

C'mon folks, can we hit 100 by Saturday?

H3N3 said:

Last year's swap (around 500 total in attendance) topped out at over 100 positive RSVPs on the chainlink listing.

Can we top it?

http://www.thechainlink.org/events/chicago-cycle-swap-2011

Jason Thomas of WXRT is thinking about the Swap...and check out his sweet ride from YoJimbo's!

Ethan, with Active Trans

what exactly is the SWAP part? How does it work?

I won't be there until 2pm so will it be picked thru?

Its my first time attending.

Very lame line up of vendors and the show in general...

This Active Trans Alliance is not doing a good job. They are just sucking fed, city and state money to feed themselves, not the cycling community.

I could promote and produce a better cycle trade show here in Chicago in a heart beat.

I'll be there - likely manning a door of some sort.  And trying desperately not to buy every awesome accessory I can get my hands on. 

wow, bernard, what's with all the hate? do you even know anything about the Active Transportation Alliance, or what kind of work goes into an event like this?? i guess you'll find out next year when you're planning your big show, though, huh?

to end on a positive note, of course i'll see you tomorrow! martin hazard and i will be presenting at 2:45; along with discussing winter bike choice and maintenance, we'll be stripping down to show off what's keeping us warm under our rain pants. and thanks again to ActiveTrans for all the bike lanes, the ability to take bikes on transit, and the bike-friendly legislation that wouldn't have happened otherwise!

Bernard Joseph Hannigan said:

Very lame line up of vendors and the show in general...

This Active Trans Alliance is not doing a good job. They are just sucking fed, city and state money to feed themselves, not the cycling community.

I could promote and produce a better cycle trade show here in Chicago in a heart beat.

wow, what's with all the hate? do you even know anything about the Active Transportation Alliance, or what kind of work goes into an event like this?? i guess you'll find out n
The swap got a mention on huffington post one of the top five (or six? whatever) things to do in Chicago this weekend. 

HufPo, cool!

We got it on the XRT site as well, and I couldn't listen but I think Jason may have plugged it today:

http://wxrt.radio.com/author/jason931/

We got the space set up tonight, it feels unreal but the day is here.  I can't imagine anyone will be less than thrilled.

A few first peeks:

"Swap meet" is a bit of an antiquated euphemism-- it's basically like a one-day flea market. Business and individuals buy table space and sell stuff. There's no rule saying you can't literally "swap" items with another party but it's not really what happens for the most part.

Re: 2 PM-- it's a trade-off; you may find less to choose from later in the day, but sellers may be more eager to make you a good deal, and the stress level may be a hair less than when the crowd is at its peak.

I don't have a crystal ball but personally I anticipate fairly steady attendance throughout the day, with the presentations and the opportunity for a hearty lunch and fine spirits via Goose Island being factors, in contrast to the suburban swap which usually has a big rush for the fist hour or two and then starts to taper.  Interestingly this year's Palatine Swap was much better attended and stayed busy until around two (last year it slowed down around noon), and I also heard attendance was way up at the Midwest (St. Louis) Bicycle Swap Meet a few weeks ago.  In other words, it's like "the age of the bike swap" (cue Al Stewart and/or Fifth Dimension) and I think there's room for Bernard Joseph Hannigan's swap too, and I'd like to be the first to reserve a table, as long as I can get to it by bike, bus, or train.

Robot Gabe said:

what exactly is the SWAP part? How does it work?

I won't be there until 2pm so will it be picked thru?

Its my first time attending.

Forgot to mention-- I got to see the Racketeers rehearse a bit tonight-- what an honor to be there for the big debut!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service