The Chainlink

I've been looking around at waterproof panniers lately, and there are a lot of options and a pretty wide price range for seemingly similar stuff.  I really just need one to fit a laptop, some shoes and extra clothes in so I can ride to work on rainy days, but as the title says, it has to be absolutely 100% waterproof and not overly expensive.  I have a Banjo Brothers pannier right now but it's nowhere near as waterproof as I'd like it to be for carrying a company-provided laptop.  I've been looking at lots of different brands (Ortlieb, Blackburn, Timbuk2, Banjo Brothers, etc.)  but I'd like to get a better feeling of your actual subjective experiences with them.

So, what does everyone use and how do you like it?  Would you have spent more money for nicer gear or would a lower-priced pannier have worked just as well?

Views: 10881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AFAIK All the Ortliebs bags are made in Germany.

I know that you are really upset that Chainlinkers don't love your brand as much as they do love Ortliebs. That doesn't give you permission to make up facts about the competition.

Ortliebs are made in Germany. Period.

http://ortlieb.de/m-produktion.php?lang=en

Evan said:

I think I saw some ortlieb front rollers on sale here http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126179659
Don't believe the Ortlieb USA bit. It is still just a subsidy of the German company and I believe are made in Asia these days.
I think I would rather have my money go to Portland, OR. 212 vs 153 and the Blaq has some pockets too.

I'd rather keep my money in the country also. But it looks like the Blaqs use simple hooks to attach the panniers to the rack? If that is the case we cannot compare them to the Ortliebs which clamp on to the pannier and will not fall off. Panniers with simple hooks can and will fall off. Don't ask me how I know!

Evan said:

I think I saw some ortlieb front rollers on sale here http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126179659
Don't believe the Ortlieb USA bit. It is still just a subsidy of the German company and I believe are made in Asia these days.
I think I would rather have my money go to Portland, OR. 212 vs 153 and the Blaq has some pockets too.

They do use simple hooks to mount to the top of the rack.  There's a hook with a bungee type cord that hooks under on the bottom of your rack.  The tension is pretty tight and only when I accidentally kick my panniers pretty hard while riding have they actually come off.  Even then one of the hooks stayed on the top so they've never fallen off completely on me.  Just dislodged so to speak.  

Tony Adams 7 mi (dirtbag hipstr) said:

I'd rather keep my money in the country also. But it looks like the Blaqs use simple hooks to attach the panniers to the rack? If that is the case we cannot compare them to the Ortliebs which clamp on to the pannier and will not fall off. Panniers with simple hooks can and will fall off. Don't ask me how I know!

Agreed that I like the classic PVC material better, but people who are really trying to stay green should choose the Deluxe for it's Cordura material that doesn't use environmentally harmful chemicals/processes to make.

At least, that's what I've read about it but I am definitely no chemist.

David of the North (David606xx) said:

Ortlieb rules! get the classic version with the shiny surface not the "deluxe" kind.

I'll add Seattle Sports because I don't think anyone else mentioned them. I only needed one bag, and at $50 it was a good deal to me. The bag is very waterproof.
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00241QY9E/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
My house mate has a pair of ortlieb back rollers and those are nicer in that they are easier to take on and off.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.  I'll look at the Axioms, but I think I'll probably just suck it up and go Ortlieb.  Are there any shops in the Humboldt/Wicker/Bucktown/Logan area that carry both?  I'd be interested to see them side by side.

OK, just to throw another brand in the mix - I've been running the Topeak MTX Trunkbag DXP for years.  Around $100 for the bag, plus you'll need their rack.

I got 8 years out of the first one before it started to look a little shabby, though I still have it as a backup.  In its later years it wasn't waterproof, but the new one (in year 2) has been fine.  When I know it's going to rain, I do the white kitchen bag thing.

The best part is the way the back clicks in and out of the rack - a big time saver.  But you have to use a Topeak rack for that to work.  Still it's a cheaper alternative, and I've carried a laptop, a suit, and shoes in it (though it's a little snug.)  Great for a laptop, change of clothes and shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Trunk-Side-Panniers/dp/B000FIAU0W

There's the ugly, yet definitely waterproof option of a DIY bike bucket. Is $10.00 cheap enough? I have toured a few thousand miles with them, sometimes spending over 24 continuous hours out in rainy weather. Contents remained dry.

Try Rapid transit for starters. Boulevard Bikes might be another good option.

Nick G said:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.  I'll look at the Axioms, but I think I'll probably just suck it up and go Ortlieb.  Are there any shops in the Humboldt/Wicker/Bucktown/Logan area that carry both?  I'd be interested to see them side by side.

I have commuted for over 7 years, all 4 seasons here in Chicago and have not found a bag that attaches easily and securely (even with a swift kick), has enough room for laptop, clothes and lunch and is all-weather-proof other than Ortlieb. Yes, they are slightly pricey and not made in the USA, but in my experience are still the best bang for your buck. I currently use the Ortlieb Downtown and it's great! I'm not sure why REI doesn't have the QL3 version available online as I bought it at their store in Lincoln Park. I am so happy with it that I thought to get another QL3 bag that I can wear as a backpack, the Vario. Unfortunately this bag didn't work for me... I'm petite and the bag is too long for my height and end up with a slight blind spot when looking back for traffic. When I did use it (only a week and half), it was incredibly versatile and comfortable when worn as a backpack and conversion from pannier to backpack is neat, easy and simple. Since I bought the Vario online, I cannot return it so if you want to take a look before I put it on Craigslist, I'll be more than happy to demo it since I have the QL3 attachment on my rear rack, email me: jtwhatever(at)yahoo(dot)com

Somehow, I was able to guess that you were going to say "Ortlieb."

jtwhatever said:

I have commuted for over 7 years, all 4 seasons here in Chicago and have not found a bag that attaches easily and securely (even with a swift kick), has enough room for laptop, clothes and lunch and is all-weather-proof other than Ortlieb. Yes, they are slightly pricey and not made in the USA, but in my experience are still the best bang for your buck. I currently use the Ortlieb Downtown and it's great! I'm not sure why REI doesn't have the QL3 version available online as I bought it at their store in Lincoln Park. I am so happy with it that I thought to get another QL3 bag that I can wear as a backpack, the Vario. Unfortunately this bag didn't work for me... I'm petite and the bag is too long for my height and end up with a slight blind spot when looking back for traffic. When I did use it (only a week and half), it was incredibly versatile and comfortable when worn as a backpack and conversion from pannier to backpack is neat, easy and simple. Since I bought the Vario online, I cannot return it so if you want to take a look before I put it on Craigslist, I'll be more than happy to demo it since I have the and QL3 attachment on my rear rack, email me: jtwhatever(at)yahoo(dot)com

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service