The Chainlink

when i was at home this weekend, i found a 1948 schwinn dx in my parents basement. used to be my dad's bike as a kid. here's photos:

Flickr: 1948 Schwinn DX

it's missing some original parts (handlebars, seat, fender), so i'm thinking i'll repaint the frame and rims and make a fun little custom cruiser out of it.

my questions to you chainlinkers:

* would i be destroying history (and/or killing its value) by doing anything that would remove original paint, parts, etc??

* know any good resources, web or otherwise for restoring schwinns?

any other advice, recommendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Views: 932

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that bike is beautiful!
you should consider restoring the original parts in the same fashion.
Yo Joe, I am a schwinn nut so here's my 2 cents... The parts you are missing can be found fairly easly, go to schwinns web page and you will find a classic schwinn forum. Post what ya need and folks will let ya know if they have it. Also try Memory Lane Classics, 419-832-3040. Dont destroy the paint!!! From the picts ya posted that paint looks awesome. Also have the hubs rebuilt and the crank pulled and lubed up.
Remember it's only original once and good luck.
thanks guys, i had a feeling that might be the case. thank god for chainlink!

as for the paint, it does look like it's in great shape. a few minor knicks here and there on the frame. the only place that shows rust is on the hubs. that's really my only concern serious concern.

Chuck a Muck said:
Yo Joe, I am a schwinn nut so here's my 2 cents... The parts you are missing can be found fairly easly, go to schwinns web page and you will find a classic schwinn forum. Post what ya need and folks will let ya know if they have it. Also try Memory Lane Classics, 419-832-3040. Dont destroy the paint!!! From the picts ya posted that paint looks awesome. Also have the hubs rebuilt and the crank pulled and lubed up.
Remember it's only original once and good luck.
One word, Joe:

JACKPOT!

Congratulations to you.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service