The Chainlink

I was wondering if anyone here in Chicago has done a research or study on bad bike locking and recorded it on video.

There is this guy in SF that did it, walked around to all kinds of bikes and how they were locked and graded their locking skills.

I think if there is or one is done... a video of this made available to cyclers across chicagoland, would help decrease bike thievery just by our own doing.

Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Views: 923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man this makes me worry about locking my Aurora every day with only a Krypto NY ulock (and locking wheel skewers). I considered getting a chain too, but don't really want to leave the chain out 24x7, wouldn't it get rusty and ruined? (well the locking mechanism).  Does anyone do that have trouble? My S.O. did it in D.C. but they get 2 inches of snow per year, iirc.

Maybe bringing back those stickers Jamie made would be good, but maybe add something at the bottom, besides the link to the registry, a twitter hashtag for feedback. Or maybe changing the text of the link to the registry to "learn from others mistakes" or something to that effect, since i learned a lot about what not to do just by reading what happened to other people.

Took this photo a few days ago. Don't see that bike anymore.  I wonder . . .

2 U-locks.

Chris B said:

Man this makes me worry about locking my Aurora every day with only a Krypto NY ulock (and locking wheel skewers). I considered getting a chain too, but don't really want to leave the chain out 24x7, wouldn't it get rusty and ruined? (well the locking mechanism).  Does anyone do that have trouble? My S.O. did it in D.C. but they get 2 inches of snow per year, iirc.

Maybe bringing back those stickers Jamie made would be good, but maybe add something at the bottom, besides the link to the registry, a twitter hashtag for feedback. Or maybe changing the text of the link to the registry to "learn from others mistakes" or something to that effect, since i learned a lot about what not to do just by reading what happened to other people.

He still hasn't found what he's looking for...

Serge Lubomudrov said:
U2 locks?

H3N3 said:
2 U-locks.
What a rack hog!

Serge Lubomudrov said:

On another note . . . this bike is parked inside, where the for it risk of being stolen is much lower (or so one hopes). But look how much space does it take!

I think I read that article as well.  If I'm not mistaken, the guy gets his bike back by venturing into the "hood" to get it back.  He eventually gets his bike back without his panniers if it's the same story I followed.

Eric said:
I read a story on CGOAB about a touring cyclist in New Orleans who wanted to check out this psychic who allegedly was suppose to be top of the line. This homeless guy outside said why are you locking your bike, I'll watch it for you.....and he AGREED?!?!?! You know what happens next, he comes out, bike is gone, homeless guy still there and he asks him I thought you were going to watch my bike and he sais...oh yeah I watched it, some guy came and took it.

No that guy who asked you for spare change won't REALLY watch your bike for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_On_%28song%29

James Baum said:
He still hasn't found what he's looking for...

Serge Lubomudrov said:
U2 locks?

H3N3 said:
2 U-locks.

We went to New Orleans on a high school band trip.

Favorite street scam memory:

Mr., I'll bet you $5 I can tell you the place you got them shoes, and the street you got 'em on!

You can what?

I'll bet you $5 I can tell you the place you got them shoes, and the street you got 'em on!

The place I got my shoes and the street I got 'em on?

Yeah, I'll bet you $5 I can tell you the place you got them shoes, and the street you got 'em on!

OK, you're on.

The place you got your shoes is ON YOUR FEET, and the street you got 'em on is BOURBON street.

I saw several tourists fall for it . . .

A.K.A Paul said:

I think I read that article as well.  If I'm not mistaken, the guy gets his bike back by venturing into the "hood" to get it back.  He eventually gets his bike back without his panniers if it's the same story I followed.

Eric said:
I read a story on CGOAB about a touring cyclist in New Orleans who wanted to check out this psychic who allegedly was suppose to be top of the line. This homeless guy outside said why are you locking your bike, I'll watch it for you.....and he AGREED?!?!?! You know what happens next, he comes out, bike is gone, homeless guy still there and he asks him I thought you were going to watch my bike and he sais...oh yeah I watched it, some guy came and took it.

No that guy who asked you for spare change won't REALLY watch your bike for you.

That is correct! I thought that maybe that was a fake story.....how he went into the hood and coerced the rough looking character to just give his bike back.

A.K.A Paul said:

Eric said:

Saw this tonight outside a UIC building:

I had a hard time walking away from it but had no choice . . . talked myself into it being a UIC police sting operation.   Significant sudden uptick in bikes locked outside the places I pass weekly.

If I had a pug that is how I would lock it too.  Best case scenario...

(just kidding)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service