I was wondering if anyone here in Chicago has done a research or study on bad bike locking and recorded it on video.

There is this guy in SF that did it, walked around to all kinds of bikes and how they were locked and graded their locking skills.

I think if there is or one is done... a video of this made available to cyclers across chicagoland, would help decrease bike thievery just by our own doing.

Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Views: 931

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are the sticky notes that I had made up: http://www.thechainlink.org/group/chainlinkbikethefttaskforce/forum...

I gave most of the away since I only printed up a very small quantity.  I just had them printed by an online printer, so they were really cheap.  I think they were about $7 total for about 500 total notes, or 10 pads of notes. I never heard anything from folks who received tickets, which makes sense as there was no contact information.

I may have half a pack of these left, but it's packed away.

I think the best suggestion so far has been to partner with a bike shop and offer a sticker(or whatever) with a 10%(or whatever :) ) off coupon on it for a good lock.

Many people lock with cable locks because they are cheaper.

Sometimes people get these locks from bike shops. You would think the person selling them the lock would fill them in on just how inadequate it is. Especially since the u-lock is an upsale for the shop.

Sadly, sometimes I am the moron who locks my bike up parallel so that I can lock my front wheel & frame with one u-lock and back wheel and frame with my 2nd U-lock, to the rack. I know it is rude, but I usually only do that when there are other racks nearby that are empty. I admit it isn't the nicest thing to do, but I fear bike theft, and my bike is pretty secure that way.  Of course, I am aware that it is improper. 

JeffB said:

At first I thought this thread was about the incorrect use of bike racks, like the wave-type racks that are meant to hold 6 or more bikes when parked perpendicularly, but then some moron parks his parallel to the rack, thus taking up 4 spaces.

I guess I misspoke.  A moron does it out of ignorance or thoughtlessness.  You know its wrong and yet you do it anyway.  So what does that make you...?

Melanie said:
Sadly, sometimes I am the moron who locks my bike up parallel so that I can lock my front wheel & frame with one u-lock and back wheel and frame with my 2nd U-lock, to the rack. I know it is rude, but I usually only do that when there are other racks nearby that are empty. I admit it isn't the nicest thing to do, but I fear bike theft, and my bike is pretty secure that way.  Of course, I am aware that it is improper. 

JeffB said:

At first I thought this thread was about the incorrect use of bike racks, like the wave-type racks that are meant to hold 6 or more bikes when parked perpendicularly, but then some moron parks his parallel to the rack, thus taking up 4 spaces.

I'm sorry, Jeff, but you're wrong.

There are actually stickers on Chicago bike racks instructing users to lock exactly as Melanie does.

I consider it necessary-- having only one locking point opens you up to tool-less theft such as this one:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/191084

Not her fault that bike racks were previously purchased and deployed by the city that weren't up to local thieving practices.

JeffB said:

I guess I misspoke.  A moron does it out of ignorance or thoughtlessness.  You know its wrong and yet you do it anyway.  So what does that make you...?

Melanie said:

JeffB said:

First, the stickers you describe are on the inverted-u racks.  Those are meant to hold two bikes, so parallel parking on either side is ok (although a third bike can straddle the top of the rack if the bikes are perpendicular).  I was talking about the wave-type racks that are meant for multiple bikes parked perpendicularly (see http://www.bicycleparkingracks.com/items.asp?itemcode=I342-1053&...). 

Next, the report you cite says the u-lock was pried apart and left behind, so what's to stop a thief from doing that to the second u-lock?  Any lock is merely a delay mechanism.

And last, it certainly is her fault.  She says up front she knows its "improper", but she does it anyway.

H3N3 said:

There are actually stickers on Chicago bike racks instructing users to lock exactly as Melanie does.

I consider it necessary-- having only one locking point opens you up to tool-less theft such as this one:

Not her fault that bike racks were previously purchased and deployed by the city that weren't up to local thieving practices.

JeffB said:

Melanie said:

JeffB said:

Well, I guess I am a jerk and/or a moron in your opinion, but I would rather be thought of as a true bitch instead and if you feel that is what I am, go right ahead and think that, too. At least I'll admit to it. I somewhat deserve the flame, but you don't have to go on about it. Thanks, H3N3, for your support- as the majority of the racks I lock to are the 2 per rack type, and only sometimes, like I said, when there are hardly any bikes around and there are plenty of other racks, do I lock like that to the wave style rack- usually because there just aren't any other bikes that use those racks (my neighborhood grocery store has 3 long sets of wave style racks of which I have seen at most 3 bicycles or less locked to at any time). Not that it justifies it, but that is usually when I do the double lock like that.  If you want to continue to berate me to get the last word in, go right ahead. I just wanted to clarify. 

Personally, I agree that I am selfish with certain things, as I believe a lot of people are, I don't believe it makes me a horrible person.  I also agree that locks are only a delay mechanism, but I like to delay as much as possible or let the thief look for an easier target.

JeffB said:

First, the stickers you describe are on the inverted-u racks.  Those are meant to hold two bikes, so parallel parking on either side is ok (although a third bike can straddle the top of the rack if the bikes are perpendicular).  I was talking about the wave-type racks that are meant for multiple bikes parked perpendicularly (see http://www.bicycleparkingracks.com/items.asp?itemcode=I342-1053&...). 

Next, the report you cite says the u-lock was pried apart and left behind, so what's to stop a thief from doing that to the second u-lock?  Any lock is merely a delay mechanism.

And last, it certainly is her fault.  She says up front she knows its "improper", but she does it anyway.

H3N3 said:

JeffB said:

Melanie said:

JeffB said:

...but when she was bad, she was horrid

@Serge- I agree. I wouldn't do that type of locking if it is in an area that is already crowded with bikes or soon to be that way. I also agree that sometimes I really am horrible and terrible. 

@James Baum - you don't know how horrid I can be! 

I love Chainlinkers!

For the record, I do not believe Melanie is a horrible person.  I simply disagree with her behavior in this regard and with her attempts to justify it under the guise of taking responsibility for it.  I stand by my initial point: don't parallel park to wave-type racks.  To add to that: if you know you're acting selfishly, don't complain when someone calls you out on it (or at least don't start a discussion admitting your selfish actions on a public message board and not expect criticism).

Serge Lubomudrov said:
Melanie, you are horrible. And terrible, too ;)

Melanie said:

Personally, I agree that I am selfish with certain things, as I believe a lot of people are, I don't believe it makes me a horrible person.  I also agree that locks are only a delay mechanism, but I like to delay as much as possible or let the thief look for an easier target.

I do not believe I am complaining, just making a joke out of the vehement stance you have taken on parallel bike locking. 

com·plain/kəmˈplān/Verb

1. Express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.

I do not think I expressed any type of dissatisfaction or annoyance, in fact, I believe you did. That is all. And I will justify as much as I want, since it is a public forum, and you basically attacked me in it. This is the last I will write about it in this forum post, as I don't want the post to get any more off track than it already has.  

JeffB said:
For the record, I do not believe Melanie is a horrible person.  I simply disagree with her behavior in this regard and with her attempts to justify it under the guise of taking responsibility for it.  I stand by my initial point: don't parallel park to wave-type racks.  To add to that: if you know you're acting selfishly, don't complain when someone calls you out on it (or at least don't start a discussion admitting your selfish actions on a public message board and not expect criticism).

Serge Lubomudrov said:
Melanie, you are horrible. And terrible, too ;)

Melanie said:

When she is good she is VERY good...

Melanie said:

I do not believe I am complaining, just making a joke out of the vehement stance you have taken on parallel bike locking. 

com·plain/kəmˈplān/Verb

1. Express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.
I do not think I expressed any type of dissatisfaction or annoyance, in fact, I believe you did. That is all. And I will justify as much as I want, since it is a public forum, and you basically attacked me in it. This is the last I will write about it in this forum post, as I don't want the post to get any more off track than it already has.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service