The Chainlink

The area around Wells/Hubbard is a mess. The intersection is closed off due to Wells Street bridge reconstruction. There are no signs or accommodations for cyclists. There is no way to directly access Kinzie (or continue to Dearborn) if coming from the North.

Monday, I was able to take Hubbard, but today because of the snow, I was not. There are signs blocking car access at Wells/Illinois, but I was able to squeeze my bike though to access Hubbard. Unfortunately, due to yesterday's snow, that block was not plowed, forcing me to take Illinois. Illinois, does have a bike lane, but it was full of buses and cars anyway. I took Clark to Kinzie, which was not much better than Illinois.

Does anyone have a good way to get around this clusterfsck until construction is complete?

Views: 699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have not ridden this week, so do not know whether bikes can get across Wells on Kinzie coming from the west.  Anyone?  If yes, then my suggestion would be to go west from Wells one block to Franklin, take Franklin to Kinzie and then Kinzie east across Wells.

Luckily this is only for another week (and for another ten days in April), but it's still frustrating. I'll give Superior to Wabash a shot tomorrow. Does Wabash have bridge plates or filled in concrete?

Wabash is my route in.  It is the best bridge in the city.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

The deck is solid concrete, one of it's main selling points.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Luckily this is only for another week (and for another ten days in April), but it's still frustrating. I'll give Superior to Wabash a shot tomorrow. Does Wabash have bridge plates or filled in concrete?

I took Wells–Superior–Wabash today into the Loop, per Cameron's suggestion. It was very pleasant. I shall be taking this route until construction on Wells is complete.

That route isn't bad, but I'd like to get back over to Dearborn once I'm south of the river. I can ride on the sidewalk on the north side of Wacker for 2 blocks but I feel like a dork (it also happens to be illegal). Any suggestions?

I took Wells–Superior–Wabash today into the Loop, per Cameron's suggestion. It was very pleasant. I shall be taking this route until construction on Wells is complete.

Today was much better. Wells south of Illinois (the blocked off area) was plowed, so I was able to access Hubbard via the sidewalk. Hubbard is much more bike-friendly than Illinois, despite Illinlis having a bike lane.
Is Couch Pl wide enough to bike through?

Joe Guzzardo said:

That route isn't bad, but I'd like to get back over to Dearborn once I'm south of the river. I can ride on the sidewalk on the north side of Wacker for 2 blocks but I feel like a dork (it also happens to be illegal). Any suggestions?

Hmmm, maybe I'd be better off just staying southbound on Wabash and cut over to Dearborn on Randolph.

Is Couch Pl wide enough to bike through?

Joe Guzzardo said:

Thanks to Cameron and Adam for some great tips on getting into the loop from the north side. On my way home I've been taking Dearborn north to Oak and heading over to the LFP from there. I find Dearborn gets a little hairy once you're north of Kinzie, even with the designated bike lane. Dooring is a real hazard there. I've been wondering if maybe Rush would be any better?

Heard this morning on the radio that Wells is reopened to traffic up to Kinzie.

Yes, everything is back to "normal" when riding your bike, including Hubbard and Franklin. Of course, the bridge is still closed.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Heard this morning on the radio that Wells is reopened to traffic up to Kinzie.

Wabash/Superior/Rush/Oak/LFT or continue on Rush/State/North/LFT.  Either way, it sure beats Dearborn.

Joe Guzzardo said:

Thanks to Cameron and Adam for some great tips on getting into the loop from the north side. On my way home I've been taking Dearborn north to Oak and heading over to the LFP from there. I find Dearborn gets a little hairy once you're north of Kinzie, even with the designated bike lane. Dooring is a real hazard there. I've been wondering if maybe Rush would be any better?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service