The Chainlink

Consider this: You like to use the Chicago Bike Map but you don't always carry it with you. You want to be reminded of where the bike lanes and trail access points are. But you do carry your smartphone with you, all the time. 

In April 2012 I launched my first-ever app, the Chicago Bike Guide. It works similarly to the "Chicago Bike Map" (the City's printed one) in that it shows the presence of on-street bike lanes, multi-use trails, and train stations. It works like Google Maps, though, where you can pinch and zoom to interact with the map. 

Divvy, train stations, directions, The Chainlink, Twitter, points of interest, it's all right here. 

Available for Android and iOS

Routing on the Chicago Bike Guide

Views: 3849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The next update, hopefully coming this week, has a slightly reduced file size (by 17 MB). You can check to see what other apps are taking up a lot of space by going to Settings>General>Usage. Photo and Twitter apps take up a lot of space. Music and Photos also take up a lot of space, and these can by synced in and out of your iOS device easily. 

Thank you for the icon compliment. 

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

The new icon is beautiful. Nice work! I can't seem to get the update to work, but I think that is because my phone lacks room for it.

I have no one to blame but myself, but I'm still mad at the dude at the Verizon store for not even mentioning the option of a phone with more storage capacity.

The app is up for a Moxie Award, hosted by Built in Chicago. You can vote daily until June 12.

Details on my blog.

Voted. Good Luck.

Steven Vance said:

The app is up for a Moxie Award, hosted by Built in Chicago. You can vote daily until June 12.

Details on my blog.

Ditto! Good luck.

Kevin C said:

Voted. Good Luck.

Steven Vance said:

Details on my blog.

Thank you for voting. You can vote every day ;)

50% of any profits I get from this long weekend (including today, Friday) will go to OpenStreetMap's fundraising efforts for new servers. Details on the blog.

Divvy will be the next "big" feature in the Chicago Bike Guide. Read how it will be helpful to find the right destination Divvy station. Divvy will launch June 28 with 75 stations, most of them in the Loop and surrounding, but some as far as the Diversey Brown Line station. (Read Divvy news on Streetsblog Chicago.)

New version, v0.8, with Divvy integration is now available for updating: details here, download update

The app currently doesn't show you real-time bike and dock availability because Divvy hasn't yet released the details of that API.

On sale for 99 cents today. If you already own it, share the link with a friend. I'm working on version 0.8.1 this weekend to improve Divvy and update the map with new bike lanes. 

I want to promote organizations in Chicago in the Chicago Bike Guide to provide a one-stop for the over 1,200 people who've downloaded the app. This new resource would help app users find an organization to join, to support, or to get something from (like a class on how to build wheels, or a legal cycling clinic). 

If you're a member or manager of a bicycle-related organization in northern Illinois, please submit this form.

Could you post a message when the Droid version comes out? Thanks!

I've decided to make a third attempt at getting the app working on Android. Since the app is written in HTML/CSS/JavaScript and doesn't use any iOS-specific frameworks, this should be simple. But the last two attempts failed and I didn't want to waste any more time when I could continue making the app better for people who use it on iOS and for free on the web.

That being said, will you lend me an Android device that has 4.0+?

Also, I'm reiterating my call to list bicycle-related organizations in northern Illinois: fill out this form.

Android users, rejoice. A version of the Chicago Bike Guide for you really is coming soon this time.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service