The Chainlink

I'm thinking we could leave early on a Saturday, stay the night, and then head back Sunday afternoon. It's about 50 miles, so probably take 5 hours or so. I've never ridden it, so if anyone has a path or suggestions, post em!

Maybe last weekend in May or First in June...?

Views: 829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, Anne!

I've done quite a bit of backpacking so I'm lucky in that I have camping equipment that is small. I can pretty much get my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and various other camping items into my rear panniers or strapped down top of my rear rack. I'll have everything in those waterproof roll bags that kayakers use.

I'm not an experienced bike tour guy, but there seem to be a lot of good articles online about packing for a bike tour. Based on what I've read, the technically correct way to do it seems to be packing the heavy stuff (like camping gear) in the front panniers and packing the lighter stuff in the rear panniers. Obviously few of us own touring bikes with front-mounted panniers, so we'll make do lugging things in backpacks and on rear racks and rear panniers.

That said, I'm considering buying a trailer (I've been looking for an excuse to get one). So within reason, if people are having a hard time getting everything on their bike, I might be able to haul a couple of extra things.

Anne said:
How does one pack for this? Any advice on panniers? Apparently I need to get some before June 6! I don't plan to bring much- but how do you do it with tent/sleeping bag?
brett,
what site did you get?

Brett Ratner said:
Hey, Anne!

I've done quite a bit of backpacking so I'm lucky in that I have camping equipment that is small. I can pretty much get my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and various other camping items into my rear panniers or strapped down top of my rear rack. I'll have everything in those waterproof roll bags that kayakers use.

I'm not an experienced bike tour guy, but there seem to be a lot of good articles online about packing for a bike tour. Based on what I've read, the technically correct way to do it seems to be packing the heavy stuff (like camping gear) in the front panniers and packing the lighter stuff in the rear panniers. Obviously few of us own touring bikes with front-mounted panniers, so we'll make do lugging things in backpacks and on rear racks and rear panniers.

That said, I'm considering buying a trailer (I've been looking for an excuse to get one). So within reason, if people are having a hard time getting everything on their bike, I might be able to haul a couple of extra things.

Anne said:
How does one pack for this? Any advice on panniers? Apparently I need to get some before June 6! I don't plan to bring much- but how do you do it with tent/sleeping bag?
I got #46.

Did you guys have any luck reserving a spot?

shar said:
brett,
what site did you get?

Brett Ratner said:
Hey, Anne!

Anne said:
we didn't get anything yet. we want to know where you got yours... the site number and I believe erick was confussed on the campground...
we wanna reserve today so hit me or erick back at some point
Hey, Shar:

It's Indiana Dunes State Park "INDIANA DUNES CAMPGROUND ELECTRIC 2008"

I would call 1-866-622-6746 or try this link...

http://www.indiana.reserveworld.com/Campgrounds/search.cfm

In the drop down menu, pick "Indiana Dunes State Park" and then pick "Indiana Dunes Campground Electric 2008"

After that, it will let you reserve a spot by looking at a map of the campground. You click on the number you want.

It's not the most intuitive reservation system I've ever used, so hopefully that helps...

shar said:
we didn't get anything yet. we want to know where you got yours... the site number and I believe erick was confussed on the campground...
we wanna reserve today so hit me or erick back at some point
I just booked site 44. There is only one more site available on the other side of the park (98). We can fit 12 ppl at the moment, and the two sites we do have are next to each other. We may wanna look into larger tents (2 max tents a site, 6 ppl a site) i have a two person tent myself which takes care of Shar and I. what do we have available?
thanks iggi for takin care of that...i know you're busy at work :).
ummm if it ends up that we only have 4 tents that fit only 2 each... i would sleep outside on the site just to accomadate others more comfortably
i would reserve it...just looked, still avail. Im sure we would hang together regardless.

Im not clear what the "partially available" site means...maybe someone wants to deal with that and look into it?

Also, if we have some bigger tents available (the condo type), im sure we can sneak a few extra bodies to a site. From what i gather, we up to 20 ppl. We are on large sites that accommodate trailers, so we can work i out. REI does rentals if needed. Lugging a biggun would be the challenge. Brett...maybe thats where a trailer comes in...we can take turns hauling.

Anne said:
I'd be up for leaving Friday, too.

Brett Ratner said:
Hey, Joe. Good to see you at the MM ride!

Good call on breakfast. When planning the route, we'll need to figure out a place to buy beer and such, decide whether to eat dinner at a restaurant or to cook out at the camp site...and find a place to eat breakfast before riding back on Sunday.

Since the state park requires people to reserve two nights on weekends, I guess we should reserve spots for Friday and Saturday.

That way, anyone who wants to come down on Friday will have a camp spot, but no one has to come down Friday. In other words, our spots will be there no matter what.

I'm gonna go ahead and pay for a spot for myself for Friday and Saturday. Two tents are allowed on each site, so whomever wants to...ummm...pitch a tent on my site is welcome to.

But everyone who plans to come and wants to sleep in a tent should probably reserve a camp spot as well. Other options are a lodge, possibly cabins, and passing out on beach.

As I said there are only 5 or 6 sites left so we'll need to act quick.

joe said:
sounds like a plan. im 100% in. and i can go down on the 5th if need be. just need to know sometime next month so i can make sure to get it off. im also down with just gettin hammered pissing my pants and passing out on the beach. we should also look in to a place to eat in the morning cause im usually pretty fucking hungry after riding and drinking and beaching and what not...im sure theres a store near by we can pick up supplies and shit as well.
ok...so i looked into it. Partially available...we are booking for 6/5 and 6/6. That leaves night of 6/7, which non of us need, so thats out. Im not seeing any for 6/6 and 6/7. Cannot book any one nighters till Tuesday of that week, thats too much of a risk..

That leaves us site 139 and site 98 for grabs.

iggi said:
i would reserve it...just looked, still avail. Im sure we would hang together regardless.

Im not clear what the "partially available" site means...maybe someone wants to deal with that and look into it?

Also, if we have some bigger tents available (the condo type), im sure we can sneak a few extra bodies to a site. From what i gather, we up to 20 ppl. We are on large sites that accommodate trailers, so we can work i out. REI does rentals if needed. Lugging a biggun would be the challenge. Brett...maybe thats where a trailer comes in...we can take turns hauling.

Anne said:
I'd be up for leaving Friday, too.

Brett Ratner said:
Hey, Joe. Good to see you at the MM ride!

Good call on breakfast. When planning the route, we'll need to figure out a place to buy beer and such, decide whether to eat dinner at a restaurant or to cook out at the camp site...and find a place to eat breakfast before riding back on Sunday.

Since the state park requires people to reserve two nights on weekends, I guess we should reserve spots for Friday and Saturday.

That way, anyone who wants to come down on Friday will have a camp spot, but no one has to come down Friday. In other words, our spots will be there no matter what.

I'm gonna go ahead and pay for a spot for myself for Friday and Saturday. Two tents are allowed on each site, so whomever wants to...ummm...pitch a tent on my site is welcome to.

But everyone who plans to come and wants to sleep in a tent should probably reserve a camp spot as well. Other options are a lodge, possibly cabins, and passing out on beach.

As I said there are only 5 or 6 sites left so we'll need to act quick.

joe said:
sounds like a plan. im 100% in. and i can go down on the 5th if need be. just need to know sometime next month so i can make sure to get it off. im also down with just gettin hammered pissing my pants and passing out on the beach. we should also look in to a place to eat in the morning cause im usually pretty fucking hungry after riding and drinking and beaching and what not...im sure theres a store near by we can pick up supplies and shit as well.
and hammocks are not a bad idea actually, as long as someone doesnt mind...er...hanging like that. there are some great bivy options like that available. its likely that park rangers wouldnt think someone is in them. and the obvious...but...i hope there are trees to accommodate.
Hammocks are good....I'd sleep outside, not a problem...plus do you think they'll really count that only 6 people are at each site.

iggi said:
and hammocks are not a bad idea actually, as long as someone doesnt mind...er...hanging like that. there are some great bivy options like that available. its likely that park rangers wouldnt think someone is in them. and the obvious...but...i hope there are trees to accommodate.
Lets all meet up for drinks next week and discuss what we have and who's gonna lug the trailer and what not! Estelles has $2 on all Beers on Tuesdays...we could meet there 10pm next Tuesday?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service