The Chainlink

My husband, Rob, has fractured his ankle. Just in time for the summer riding season and fun things to do.  So, given the creativity and ingenuity of many of those on Chainlink, I am curious if anyone knows how I can fashion some kind of rig to basically take him along safely on some bike rides to the lake, park or some CL events during the 4-6 weeks he will be off his feet, without resorting to driving the car.  Maybe on a flatbed trailer of some sort, or fashion some kind of hitch to a wheelchair onto the back of the bike. I have seen people hauling furniture and stuff, so I am curious as to what ideas may be out there? He won't fit in the kiddie trailer, so that option is out.  Or, if anyone has anything I could borrow or rent (cheaply) for the time he is healing up, that would be great, too.   I thought of a pedicab, but that would get expensive when all I want to do is take him on picnics and stuff around the city. 

I know it may be a odd request, but I thought I'd give it a shot. :) 

Thanks!

Views: 1962

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well now, that is good news since I am on the north side! Maybe I should close this post out and put a "Wanted: Pedicab for Picnicking" ad...I'd even pack a lunch for the pedicab driver, too. 

The smallest size Bikes at Work trailer is  $450.  Don't know what you would be using for a tow bike and if it would be up to the task -but the Bikes at Work trailer will haul 300lbs easily.  The bigger trailers just have more bed space -not more hauling capability, they are all modular and can be converted to bigger or smaller with add-on length pieces or taking some off. 

It's sort of pricey but you might be able to find one used, and/or sell it if you find you no longer need it later after he is well. 

A smaller/low reclining lawn chair would probably do for a seat if it was strapped down securely.  Or rig up something as a seat.  Just make sure it is secure.  An adult probably doesn't need a seat belt... 

I hired a pedicab (Roger Rickshaw) years ago for a Mother's day ride, and the charge was $50/hr.

I have not seen a solution posted here that looks viable. Extracycle poses too great a wrist of touching down hard on fractured ankle. A chair on a trailer would only work at crazy-slow speeds due to tipping risk.

The only thing I can think of that might be functional and safe is a Bikes at Work trailer with hubby sitting low to ground/reclined, careful to keep hands away from wheels-- would have to be very well balanced over trailer axle to not be too heavy to pull though.

Hand cycle would be the best option by far.

The Wike Special Needs Trailer is rated for someone up to 5'10" and 150lbs.   But it's pretty expensive.

I still think the Bikes at Work trailer would be best.  A suitable low CG seating arrangement could easily be rigged up. 

Extracycle poses too great a wrist of touching down hard on fractured ankle.

Oh, no I didn't . . . scary.

strap him to a skateboard. lol.

One of those "trail-a-bike" type add-on trailer bikes had 2 wheels in back, sort of like a trike -which would allow the rider to just sit and not have to ever put their feet down.  With a b0rken ankle/leg or whatever it would be best if the husband didn't pedal at all -which would make it harder for the rider of the bike, but the same could be said of any of the adult trailers I've seen.

I still like the Bikes at Work trailer.  It is really seems to be a great trailer for hauling stuff on bikes -not just broken husbands.  Right now I'm using a donated kiddie-trailer for my hauling needs but I can foresee a time in the future when I'll need more.  Then the choices will be to either build my own trailer or buy something like the Bikes at Work ones.  The nice thing about the Bikes at Work trailers is that they are modular.  If one needs a longer trailer to haul something very long (like an extension ladder, kayak, canoe, or whatever) then the add-on extension parts can be simply bolted-onto the trailer to make this possible. 

300lbs is a lot of weight for a bicycle to tow -even in flatland.  i wouldn't want to haul any more than that without a special bike designed to deal with such tow loads with a stronger rear wheel and much better brakes both front and rear. 

h' said:

Extracycle poses too great a wrist of touching down hard on fractured ankle.

Oh, no I didn't . . . scary.

I like the bikes at work trailer and thinking of looking into getting one- the extra plus is that I have always wanted to be able to tow furniture or odds and ends with my bike- like from garage sales and stuff, but never had a decent enough trailer to do it with so it is a definite options.  I think my touring bike would be sufficient- 36 spoke double wall mavics something or other touring wheel and hub, it can and has carried a good amount of weight before.  Not sure if I could pull 300lbs, luckily my husband is nowhere near that size, but he also isn't a lightweight at 6'3" tall, so something that only hauls 150lbs isn't going to work.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

you have to include yourself and your bike trailer weight, I am sure it adds up to well over the 300 lb mark

My Burly travoy loaded weighs about 70 lbs, I weigh just under 190 and my bike is under 20, that puts me very close to 300lbs without a second human

Can you rent a tandem and have him not pedal?  Or will too much Vicodin be involved?

Without hills and with proper gearing, the weight isnt as much of a problem.  I've had 200lbs in my kiddie trailer a couple of times, and while I tried to keep the the tongue weight to 10-15% optimal the draw bar was still really bendy.   It pulled OK, even over the Damon Bridge but my 7-speed IGH is geared down to 35 gear-inches in low.  It's just a matter of spinning fast while moving very slow up the hill.   It's more work, but the job is doable for a little bit. I'd hate to live in a hilly town though.  I was sure to keep the speed down coming down the other side.  My city bike is TOUGH though, with a strong MTB frame, and heavy duty wheels and fat tires and effective hub braking up front. 

Yes, I would love to get one of these nice trailers someday -but what I have is working and it's hard to justify spending that sort of money to replace something that is working.   Having an excuse to upgrade would be great ;)

Adding another 100lbs of weight would make it tougher, and the going slower -but still possible I think.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service