Preferably as close to Andersonville as possible. I'm pretty sure I'd need a 30mm/32mm wrench.

For your troubles, and my appreciation, I can bring beer along with me. It'll take less than 5 minutes to tighten down.

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you can use mine, but i'm down in humboldt park...

Well Jim, if nobody else close responds in the next few hours, you're the man. Are you available today?

i wish i could message you directly.  anyway, email me and we can set this up: james.morski@gmail.com

Friended you and messaged as well.

I am in A'ville @ Clark and Bryn Mawr. I think I have 2 30-32 wrenches.

You can come by late tonight (9ish?) or tomorrow early evening (between 6 and 7)

I'm in Logan Square.   I've got an assortment of  headset wrenches as well as BF adjustable wrenches for those crazy Whitworth sizes.  

Duppie saves the day. The headset was scary loose, and I'll never make that mistake again. I'm fairly certain that I should have googled "threaded headset adjustment" or "adjust quill stem" before I started using my fingers to unscrew shit. Lesson learned.

If you were able to loosen the headset with your fingers it most probably needed attention anyhow.  It would have loosened up with riding sooner or later.  Better to find the issue now than halfway through a long ride.

Did you find a nice stem that got the bars where you wanted them?  I can't wait to see your new vintage bike and how you set it up.

I haven't found a stem, yet. I'm going to pick up a free quill stem from a gentleman down in Logan Square after work today. Hopefully it's longer than 80mm. Then, its on to bars and a seat post. I have no idea why vintage bars are set up the way they are. Im so used to having lots of room on the ramps; these go from the flats and just dive straight down, it seems.

I like a TON of room on the ramps, and almost level with only a slight downhill slant to them to the hoods.  Bar type is pretty personal and there are so many choices out there.

If I were you I'd ditch the stock brake levers on any vintage bike and go for a nice set of modern aero levers while you going about setting them up from scratch with new cork tape.   I really like the Tektro R200's which are WAY more comfortable than skinny-hooded (or non-hooded) brake levers, and give you a ton more feel and power from the hoods than ancient vintage pre-aero levers and you don't have the cables looping up and in your way when you are gripping the hoods.

Origin8 rebrands the Tektro units and sells them for a really good price.  I have them on my own bike and really like them.  Super comfy and have a lot of leverage.  They are absolutely identical except for the little 8-ball logo painted on them.  Even the rubber hoods have Tektro stamped in them.

I've considered possibly switching out the levers, but I'm going to give the Dia-Compes a fair, 90 probation period. They definitely feel much stranger than aero levers with my hands on the hoods, and their position is much, much lower. I'm sure the honeymoon with the 'vintage' will end soon.

For me the comfort is actually a secondary thing.  Many older non-aero levers just don't seem to have any power or feel from the hoods -or they just have too much reach for my stubbly little sausage fingers to get any power or feel    

I want my brakes to WORK, and I want to be able to reach them from the hoods easily as I spend most of my time in the hoods.

But you probably already know if the vintage levers have good power, feel, and reach as they are now.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service