The Chainlink

Okay, I'm sort of new around here, an usually just a lurker, but I gotta speak up.

I got a pinch flat yesterday on my way home from work at Milwaukee & Chicago. No biggie, pulled off the street and got out my "crash kit" with tools and a spare tube, and got to work. But in the 20 minutes I spent putzing around, I saw at least 2 dozen other riders fly by, and not a single person stopped to ask if I needed help. I mean, really? What happened to this community of cyclists that's supposed to exist? I don't say anything to the other riders that I see cutting in front of cars/pedestrians and blowing red lights, but this really takes the cake.

Views: 850

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Iknow how to do it as I've seen it done plenty of times before ... I just haven't taken the time to try one myself."

You should try it sometime just to confirm you know how to do it.  I imagine it will take at least 20 minutes.

Rich S said:

Someone mentioned it earlier and I agree. How many of the people who passed don't know how to fix a flat? I'm actually a bit embarrassed to admit that in the last 3+ years of riding I haven't fixed one of my own flats. I know how to do it as I've seen it done plenty of times before ... I just haven't taken the time to try one myself. The funny thing is that one of my best friends barely ever rides and he's fixed plenty of flats. 

So what I'm saying is that if you looked like you knew what you were doing I probably wouldn't stop because I would not be of much assistance except for passing you a wrench or moral support or something. But if you looked like you were in distress I would absolutely try to help. I've helped a few strangers put a spare tire on their car because they had no idea how to do it themselves. 

For the future, you can always just roll on some of these.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/453751/453751,1...

I guess you're just a better person then I am then...

Having somewhere to be is not an excuse; I stop and offer help a lot but there are times when being to work on time is more important to me than helping somebody who is not prepared to help themselves.

Melanie said:

I have stopped for motorists that are stranded, and I have stopped for cyclists to see if they need any help or don't have a pump, etc. even when I "have to be somewhere".  Usually the person has it under control, but always seems thankful that someone at least cared. I have also stopped and asked if someone needed help, and actually been able to help (you would be surprised at how many people carry a spare tube and patch kit, but no pump).  "Having somewhere they need to be" is many times just an excuse people use to justify why they can't take a second out of their lives to see if another human being is all right or needs help, since their lives are so important that they can't be bothered. It is just as self-centered as the OP wondering why no one even attempted to offer some help. 

All in all, while no one should have any expectation that a fellow cyclist should stop and offer assistance whether needed or not, it is always nice when there is someone out there that does. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service