So, I know this is a bit nit-picky but I just wanted to suggest a little suggestion to my fellow cyclist commuters:

Rear fenders are not just to keep your own butt dry, they're also a curtesy to the person riding behind you.

The last few days I've had to pass more riders than I wanted to in order to keep my face dry.

That's all, thanks!

Matt

Views: 670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have two sets of the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, 700C-45mm wide. After a couple years, I tore the mudflaps off on my daily commuter and replaced them with alex wetmore's custom mudflaps. They look a bit hokey, but as much as I liked the stock mudflaps, these are better.

Yep!

Like Alex, I used stair tread rubber I bought for a couple dollars from Ace Hardware. But, I don't think mine look hokey at all.  I've installed mudflaps on both my bike (Berthoud 50mm) and my wifes (SKS P45) and they've last about two years now. Before I found Alex's guide I made some flaps from a tide bottle and one from multiple sheets of duct tape; they both worked great but looks heinous.

Kevin C said:

I have two sets of the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, 700C-45mm wide. After a couple years, I tore the mudflaps off on my daily commuter and replaced them with alex wetmore's custom mudflaps. They look a bit hokey, but as much as I liked the stock mudflaps, these are better.
Maybe I should upgrade to stair treads. Mine are made out of former cat litter plastic jugs. At least I riveted them on...

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Yep!

Before I found Alex's guide I made some flaps from a tide bottle and one from multiple sheets of duct tape; they both worked great but looks heinous.

Kevin C said:

Just curious: Why aren't you going with the SKS Longboards?
Ha, I definitely agree.  However, my "office" (work bicycle), has both full front and rear fender. I notice some messengers ride track bikes for work, however I feel that approach is not as good as it could be.  I own a track bike, but it is definitely not used for work.  Having water spray and weather damage to my track bike just does not sound like a good idea to me.  Function > "fashion", or whatever you want to call these elitists these days.  Being on a bicycle for 6+ hours per day, mon-fri, rain or shine, really let's you know how to be courteous to yourself and others.

Duppie said:

Or you can just keep a little more distance. If you get wet from the spray, you're to close to the rider in front of you.

Remember, commuting is not the same as riding in a pace line.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service