The Chainlink

i recently picked up a 1983 ochsner road bike. i've been messengering on a fixed wheel for a while and riding the roadie has been some of the most fun i've had. its got an almost complete shimano 105 1050 group on it, and i'm slowly changing it to the 1055 group from the 90's. just curious to see who else is riding vintage steel... also curious to see what people are doing to them. any one fitting old bikes w/ modern components? i've personally been digging the downtube indexing shifters. any one restoring to factory spec? its nice to hear from people who are taking old road bikes and keeping them road bikes... not to hate on conversions, but a good road bike should be a good road bike.

Views: 15792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not exactly high end, but it's sure a lot of fun:

Glad to see someone doing this topic! This is exactly what I do! Restore old bikes....though Niconico, I do convert some....my rule of thumb is if it has long horizontal dropouts it gets to be a single speed/fixed gear. If it has a derailleur hanger that is aligned properly or can be, it gets road components. All bikes are stripped to metal, boiled lintseed oil on the interior tubes, shaken by hand, and then powder coated. Good and saveable components are kept, and new components added as needed.

I make these bikes to lend out for my rides/tours and showings. They are all named after famous (dead) Chicagoans. Here is an example:

http://www.thechainlink.org/forum/topics/big-shoulders-recyclerybsr002

Though that is a 70s road bike, from the 80s I have a Trek 560, 2 Bianchis, a Centurion, a Schwinn and two Fujis. I also have a variety of bikes from the 90s, 00s, 70s, 60s, and 50s.

In general I prefer lightweight steel with nice lug work or good filey brazing. IMHO, these bikes are better, sturdier and overall a better deal than anything you could get for under $1,200 today. And who wants to spend $1,200?

Niconico, glad to see you do this! Cheers! - Lee

Good choice on the Ochsner. Blue or Red? I think its the third Ochsner here on chainlink. Maybe we should have a group ride to Ochsner in Wheeling.
Mine has a mix of Campy and Gipiemme components. A great bike.
you work for cms? sox cap? i think i seen you around

Video_Drome said:

a sprint from the 80's. it was made in taiwan by giant.

i got it as a one speed. but still its steel. I use this for messengering
right on man. when did you land the gig? i remember you asking about it before

Video_Drome said:
niconico said:
you work for cms? sox cap? i think i seen you around br />

that's me :)

I just picked up this 1976 Schwinn varsity for $20. The guy selling it was real cool and had a bunch of vintage bikes from the 50s and 60s.

I did a post about this bike around Christmas. It has some top shelf 1970s parts on it, but it is primarily a 1968-or-so Italian road bike with the original Campagnolo bar shifters, hubs, and cranks.

It's been beautifully restored to running order (repacked bearings, new cables, new rims, new bar tape, new brake shoes, new tires, and so forth)...trouble is, I ride a 54cm frame and this is (according to my measurements) about a 60cm frame.

I need to find a 54cm vintage Italian frame, but thus far have had no luck. So now I need to find someone to give it a loving home. It's way too nice to not be ridden. Any ideas?
The Bianchi Bull. All components upgraded to 105 or higher, new rims and hubs too. And urban bull horns just to add personality. 7-speed cassette. Rides so fine.

great picture!

David Travis said:
The Bianchi Bull. All components upgraded to 105 or higher, new rims and hubs too. And urban bull horns just to add personality. 7-speed cassette. Rides so fine.

I've got this sentimental attachment to my "first" real bike, when I was a kid. I just rebuilt it at WTB's Build-a-bike class. I even learned wheelbuilding with the wheels on this one.

The real fun came when I got & rebuilt this 1954 Carlton, though. I have a thing for steel. Great thread, thanks for starting it! (my first time including images, hope this worked...)

My Fuji Team is riding super smooth. Steel. Downtube. Suntour Superbe Pro. Butta.

mine's a blue one too! once i get some pictures taken i'll put them up. i was curious if you knew how to tell which tubing it is... i hear that blue means either zeta or aelle and that red was sl. that bike looks sweet though. ochsners are gorgeous and its cool because you don't see them too often.

Ed said:

Good choice on the Ochsner. Blue or Red? I think its the third Ochsner here on chainlink. Maybe we should have a group ride to Ochsner in Wheeling.
Mine has a mix of Campy and Gipiemme components. A great bike.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service