The Chainlink

Views: 1428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see your point, but it's still on their record, no?  I know any college or university worth it's salt would look at that suspension and laugh, but you never know what can happen in a kids life where something like that will come out and potentially be used against them.  Best example I can think of and hate to bring it up: the Trayvon Martin case.  

But it is still unnerving that a person like that could be in charge of so many students and clearly not be suitable for a position of authority.  I mean, it is as if after 4 years of existentially soul crushing "education" and "character building", that Katie Pennington felt the need to deliver one final blow to her students psyche's in an effort to say "Go forth into the world and be just like me.  Be afraid to bend the rules, be afraid to follow your heart once in a while, and don't forget to be afraid to laugh and experience true joy." 

Cameron Puetz said:

At this point as long as they get their diplomas the suspension really doesn't matter. They've already made their post high school plans and aside from checking that they have a diploma, no one will ever ask to see their high school records. As much as the principal wants to think she matters, in a few weeks she'll be nothing more a pathetic part of these students' pasts.

Speaking as someone who almost didn't graduate high school because of an equally small minded power tripping principal, it's amazing how quickly someone like that becomes irrelevant to you. If anything she may have made graduation a little sweeter for some of the students as it's the day they walk out of the small world of Kenowa Hills High School and people like her quit mattering.

It's all gravy.  

"The controversy got the attention of "Gravy," one of the morning deejays at 105.3 Hot FM in Grand Rapids. He brought a gift for Principal Pennington -- a bicycle, to introduce her to the joys of cycling."

yeah, the article has totally be updated.  And I usually copy and paste the article with a link.....

Cameron Puetz said:

The article has been updated since it was first posted. The school board appears to be in damage control mode and distancing themselves from the principal.

We did the same with 5 cows. Fun cow fact, Cows can only walk UP stairs and lack the skill to walk DOWN them.

That was a great day of second floor classes.

James BlackHeron said:

Get 3 pigs.

Number them 1, 2, & 4.

Let them loose in the school stadium.

Laugh all day while they look for pig #3...

Cows go up the stairs.  Hamburger comes back down...

It is funny how the article keeps changing? I sent an email to the Superintendent and snail mail my letter on our company letterhead with my business card, letting him know my disappointment on how Ms. Pennington handled the situation.

ADA does not apply to utility/mechanical areas of the building.

it's always hard to take the elevator to the elevator penthouse.

Most buildings have areas that are not ADA compliant.  

Honestly most school and jobs could care less about getting a suspension in high school, if you have the GPA it doesn't really matter.  Tryvon Martin's suspension is equally irrelevant to what happened, but its one of the few things people have to vilify him.  Its quite a rare exception that there's ever any mention of a suspension again in life. All that permanent record stuff is baloney, in general if your actions lead you to many suspensions, your grades are not likely good and you likely didn't participate in extracurricular activities, and that is what colleges and employers care about. If you do well but have a few run ins its not usually a problem.

I've received security clearances and in any of them I have never been asked about a suspension in high school (I did actually get suspended at one point), all they cared about was verifying my graduation records and ensuring I had not committed any felonies as a juvenile. 

Zoetrope said:

I see your point, but it's still on their record, no?  I know any college or university worth it's salt would look at that suspension and laugh, but you never know what can happen in a kids life where something like that will come out and potentially be used against them.  Best example I can think of and hate to bring it up: the Trayvon Martin case.  

But it is still unnerving that a person like that could be in charge of so many students and clearly not be suitable for a position of authority.  I mean, it is as if after 4 years of existentially soul crushing "education" and "character building", that Katie Pennington felt the need to deliver one final blow to her students psyche's in an effort to say "Go forth into the world and be just like me.  Be afraid to bend the rules, be afraid to follow your heart once in a while, and don't forget to be afraid to laugh and experience true joy." 

Thanks!

Steve said:

It is funny how the article keeps changing? I sent an email to the Superintendent and snail mail my letter on our company letterhead with my business card, letting him know my disappointment on how Ms. Pennington handled the situation.

"My first response to learning of our high school seniors riding bikes to school on busy roads was to fear for their safety, and I responded in kind."

Seems like there's still some work to be done here.

Such a lame apology.

This is plainly an abuse of authority -she needs to be fired, or at least "suspended" for her gross misconduct and abuse of authority.

This person should not be in charge of a school.

A million times THIS!

h' said:

"My first response to learning of our high school seniors riding bikes to school on busy roads was to fear for their safety, and I responded in kind."

Seems like there's still some work to be done here.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service