The Chainlink

Don't know what I did to tick off the karma gods, but they are hatin' on me!

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If your tires are old, might be time to get a new set.

Be sure to use tire liners like Mr. Tuffy.
Get some Vittoria Randonneurs. They are like riding on cement but they never flat and they're much cheaper than some fancier but equally cement-like tires.

What kind of flats?

If it is pinch flats you need more air, less weight or to stop riding into pot holes.

If it is punctures on the outside of the tube you need to make sure your tire is free of whatever caused the original puncture and/or seriously look into the condition of your tires.  lining the valve up with the logo on the tire helps with this.

If it is punctures on the inside you need to inspect the rim and rim strip for defects.

If it is torn or leaking valve stems you need to stop pulling so hard on the pump when you pull it off.

If the holes are in the sidewall and look like perfect pinholes, you need to stop pissing off co-workers

notoriousDUG said:

What kind of flats?

If it is pinch flats you need more air, less weight or to stop riding into pot holes.

If it is punctures on the outside of the tube you need to make sure your tire is free of whatever caused the original puncture and/or seriously look into the condition of your tires.  lining the valve up with the logo on the tire helps with this.

If it is punctures on the inside you need to inspect the rim and rim strip for defects.

If it is torn or leaking valve stems you need to stop pulling so hard on the pump when you pull it off.

a year old

envane x said:

the kind that don't hold air

really don't know, i have the shop replace the tube

notoriousDUG said:

What kind of flats?

I will do that tonight!

Mark said:

Be sure to use tire liners like Mr. Tuffy.

That could be it. Maybe I'll try being nicer?

Duppie said:

If the holes are in the sidewall and look like perfect pinholes, you need to stop pissing off co-workers

notoriousDUG said:

What kind of flats?

Were they new when you got them?  Any idea on the mileage?  Can you see any fabric, cracks, or thin spots?  

in it to win it said:
a year old

envane x said:

If the shop that is replacing the tube is doing their job correctly they should be telling you these things; but that is a whole other subject...

Personally I recommend learning to change a tube yourself and making sure it is done correctly but understand that is not always an option; I just had to have a shop fix a flat for me because I was making a run to the store with no bag for tools and caught a flat.  At the very least learn what you need to make sure the shop does when they change your flat.

Anytime you have a shop change a flat, or change one yourself, make sure:

1. If the valve is not lined up with the label on the tire mark the tire to keep track of where the valve was so you can locate the cause.

2. After the tube is out inflate it and locate the leak, based on the location of the leak move to step 3.

3a. If it is a 'snake bite' or double puncture on the inside of the tube chances are you caught a pinch flat, possibly from running to low an air pressure or hitting a big hole.  Ensure proper pressure and be careful.

3b. If it is a puncture in the outside of the tube go to that area of the tire and try to find the debris and remove it is present.  It is always a good idea to run the whole tire looking for debris, tears and other defects anytime it is off regardless.

3c. If the puncture is on the inside look for problems with the rim tape or rough spots in the wheel itself.

3d. If the puncture is odd and in the sidewall either stop pissing off coworkers or stop using tire levers to put your tire on.

4. Install the new tube ensuring the label and valve stem line up to make finding the next flat easier.  Make sure to install the tire by hand or with a tire bead jack only, never use levers or anything else to get the bead on as it may damage the tube.

Follow those rules, run quality tires inflated to the proper pressure and change them when worn and you should be able to live a life of fewer flats.

Who wants to bet I go out and get a flat immediately after telling people how not to get them?

in it to win it said:

the kind that don't hold air

really don't know, i have the shop replace the tube

notoriousDUG said:

What kind of flats?

I played the same game 1 week last Summer---my favorite moment was changing out a tube and the new one popping in front of my eyes before I even got back on my saddle---and this (damaged rim strip) was exactly it.

Good luck getting to the bottom of it!

notoriousDUG said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service