The Chainlink

I have an old Raleigh convert that is difficult to skid. Any suggestions?
I run 46x16
28c (some Forte 15-buck Kevlar tires)
SPD

Never you mind the morality of skidding. Yes I have a brake, but it's only because sometimes I get to be lazy (some days I ride a lot).

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed, fixed.
I'm more wondering how the various set-ups make it easier or harder to skid.

I'll keep practicing. It's easy in the rain.
Not to be crass, but your crotch should be on the stem and you should look down over the front of the front tire. Else you need more leg strength.

Go practice on the limestone portion of LFP or your local trail, or in the rain. If you can't skid there, then chances are your legs don't have enough strength to hold.
As I said, those are the best two places to learn how to lock legs. Good luck evan.
yea wtf @ learning in the rain.

i don't know much about tires, but vittoria zaffiro pros usually treat me right for skids. they don't last for shit, but the grip is just perfect.

and you'll probably want to invest in 17t cog if you are skidding a ton. helps to keep the wear down
Video_Drome said:
vxla said:
As I said, those are the best two places to learn how to lock legs. Good luck evan.

bro, the rain is NOT the best place to learn how to skid. please stop giving dangerous advice.
I've taught, hmm, 7 people to skid. Now I haven't probably talked about it as much as you have online; I'm more into actually doing it.

The fixed-gear trend jumped the shark last year anyway. Everyone here should go back to riding in cars.
Omgz! lets meet in the parking lot and fight it out!

Hilarious, this thread just keeps on getting better.

Continue on!
is this where I get to watch a montage of each of you training for the upcoming one-on-one skid-off under the bridge at the park while some really rippin 80's cockrock is playing? Man, I hope so.

Video_Drome said:
and anytime u would like to maybe contest this bike knowledge in real life, just let me know which parkinglot to meet at, i'll out skid ur ass in the rain, sleet, or snow. or just on regular pavement. P.S. stop giving dangerous advice to people.
Thanks for all the suggestions. For the record, I do find it a ton easier to skid in the rain. I don't have any problems with balance.
I'll just have to get my crotch closer to the stem; my stem looks, well, sharp and nobby, so maybe I'll wear a cup. I used to have 32c commuter tires, and then it was definitely impossible.

So the skid contest is on? I want to see this happen, rain or shine. And there should be video.
i think the most commonly recommended surfaces are like: wet pavement, wet grass, and gravel. I really caught on skidding one night after a rain downtown in one of those marble plazas

im loving this thread btw
i'm pretty sure the park mounties on segways would make short work of that.
a brake will stop you ten times faster than skidding will. anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to justify not having one. i occasionally ride brakeless yes, but the faster you can stop, the faster you can ride. word.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service