The Chainlink

So I've been noticing the birds are starting to prepare for migration, which reminds me that winter will be here sooner than you think. And I want to be prepared (I used to be a girl scout), considering that I plan on riding during the winter and haven't done so in Chicago before. I've read in a couple of places that single-speed is the way to go for winter. Currently I ride an old Schwinn 10-speed road bike that I've been considering converting to single-speed for a little while now, since I never change gears because I never feel the need to. But my friend who rides fixed-gear said I should hold onto my gears because I'm going to need them when it gets windy. So what are folks' opinions? Single-speed or 10-speed for our blustery, gross Chicago winters?

Views: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think you really need anything specific for winter. My personal choice is a fixed gear with cross tires on it (the orange bike in the slide show on my member page). The nice thing about the single speed or fixed is you don't get ice buildup on the dérailleurs resulting in shifting problems. Plus, without a dérailleur, there's less to clean and lube every week to prevent rust and parts wearing out. There's a lot of crap on the roads around town in the winter, even on days where there isn't snow. If you go single speed, you'll probably want a lower gear for winter than you would for summer, just because of the wind and possible slick conditions. My gearing for winter is 44x16 on the winter beater, which is down from my gearing of 48x15 on my summer bike.

If you really love your current bike, you might consider picking up another for the winter, so you don't subject your nicer bike to the horrors of a Chicago winter- salt being foremost among them. Or you could set up your current bike for the winter, and get another geared bike for the summer next year. The one other thing I would be sure to have is full coverage fenders. The slop on the roads can make for a messy commute, and more crap on the bike to clean.
Hey Chucko - I like the idea of cross tires on a fixed gear, but I've heard that with track bikes (vs. fixed gears that have been converted), the small space between the tires and the frame/fork limits the kinds of tires you can put on. Or maybe I'm making that up? Either way, if I look for cross tires for my Fuji Track bike, is there anything I should look for?

Chucko said:
My personal choice is a fixed gear with cross tires on it (the orange bike in the slide show on my member page).
Leah said:
Hey Chucko - I like the idea of cross tires on a fixed gear, but I've heard that with track bikes (vs. fixed gears that have been converted), the small space between the tires and the frame/fork limits the kinds of tires you can put on. Or maybe I'm making that up? Either way, if I look for cross tires for my Fuji Track bike, is there anything I should look for?

Chucko said:
My personal choice is a fixed gear with cross tires on it (the orange bike in the slide show on my member page).

Yeah, you're definitely limited with tire choice unless you have either a converted road bike or a fixed gear that isn't a track specific bike. The bike I have the cross tires on was made for 27" wheels, but it has 700c wheels on it, and has crazy amounts of room for big tires. The tires I have are 35c, but I've seen cross tires as small as 30c. Mainly just anything with a good tread, and lacking the smooth center part of the tire (which just doesn't work too well on slick roads). I've been known to ride my regular fixed gear, with 27 x 1 1/4" road tires on it in the winter, but it always makes for a slow ride with snow since it gets no traction on lightly snow covered roads.

Here are the tires I've been running for the last couple of years- they're technically hybrid tires, but they work really well in slick conditions for some reason. I'm guessing because of the somewhat larger road contact area since they're flatter across the top than a regular road tire- http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16500&subca...

If you have room for a 28c tire, I'd try a "touring" tire, as they generally have a bit more tread than standard road tires...
internally geared hub.
I like riding fixed in the winter because it keeps you pedaling through the slipery stuff. This gives you more control of the rear wheel. Plus, your not relying as mush on a rim brake that could get mucked up and become ineffective.
Winter wind is usually brutal, so a lot of usually-fixed riders will switch to a bike with gears. I've ridden fixed for 2 winters, and this year I'm riding geared on windy days, and fixed on not-so-windy days.

What you really *need* are full fenders, first. Next, a good set of lights. Third, good tires.

Some said...

"And then there's the response of the bike in general. fixies have much better control in the wet environment simply because you stop with your legs mostly so theres no sketchyness on the brakes slippin on the rim."

This isn't exactly true. Someone with lots of experience riding fixed will be able to use it to their advantage, but to novice riders it usually leads to a fall.
vxla said:
What you really *need* are full fenders, first. Next, a good set of lights. Third, good tires.

I too want to build a bike for the winter.

I have been looking at flip flop hubs and sealed cranks.

If I am throwing all this money into decent wheels should I spend the money on a nice frame or just buy a working bikes lump?
i did the same thing, ride year round this past winter, what i found is: fixed is a double side sword. yeah it gives you better control and keeps you pedaling thur the slush and stuff, but when it gets chicago cold, and snow/slush turns to ice or worst black ice covered with muck and snow and you catch that ice and cant coast, grrr!! ouch!! a few swear words, and thump!! you remember how hard cement really is!! but with the coasting you can TRY to toss the bike or try to control the bike. and yes it does sux having to do upkeep on the drivetrain. but follow the advice of the other bikers, full fenders, good lights, good tires, AND windproof gear: jacket, gloves, etc.
-RIDE ON!!!!
Sounds like its time to build up a fixed/s.s. cyclocross rig.
I put of full fenders on my surly steamroller by using "P-clamps" and couldn't be happier. Any one else use this type of attatchment?

I also picked up a rain cape, which is probably the dorkiest thing in the world. In a light rain last week I tested out my new set-up. Awesome. I got tons weird looks, and they were totally warranted. I looked bizarre. The rain cape fits over my arms, handlebars, and the rear bag. I look like a rolling tent.
I rode 4 out of 5 days for the last two years from Hyde Park to the Loop. My goal was to not break any bones. I did not have any injuries at all, thankfully. My set up is a crossbike (any frame/fork that allows a 35 mm tire will work) with HAKKAPELIITTTA WXC 300 studded tires. I swear by these. I fell over only once in 6 inches of snow and never slipped on ice, hidden or not. They are not cheap but the carbide tips do not wear out and I expect them to last over five years. Lights are very important as it is dark most of the time. Fenders are necessary. And you should learn how to dress. I now use all wool layers and only seldom use a wind cheater. a wind cheater vest is however helpful. The wind off the lake is often up to 20 knots and I have ridden single speed in the winter but reality is something else exposed to a blast from the northeast. I use various weights of balaclavas and in the worst weather goggles. I have learned all of this from iceboating for the past ten years. For the first half of each season I find myself overdressing. Also the bike path is heavily salted so rinse off the bike once or twice a week. I found that the bike path is plowed sooner than my residential street. Half of the days in the winter are free of snow and ice, but windy. I also love the lobster mitts used with glove liners for braking and shifting. On days colder than 10 degrees I do not ride as even the Lake insulated boots do not keep my feet warm enough after 45 minutes. Remember it is windier for your feet as they are pedaling most of the time. When the snow is over 4 inches it is tiring to pedal because of all the sliding. But I loved being able to take charge of the season and remain independent of automobiles, buses, and trains.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service