The Chainlink

Small milestone.  Hit 190 rides to work for 2010 today.  Was hoping for 200 by year end but I'll be just short of that; 200 is now my 2011 goal.

Oh yeah, 22 trips to work on the Red Line in 2010. Those remind me how much I'd rather be biking!

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations, "in it".  Hope you can make 200 rides in 2011.  Maybe you could make 2000 rides to work between 2010 and  2020. Or cooler yet, 2020 rides.

I celebrate your milestone as I personally avoided 4 colds, having to purchase at least $25 worth of medication, overhearing 275 annoying cell phone conversations, and having to sit next to at least 200-300 grossly overweight, smelly, obnoxious, or otherwise unpalatable individuals on the train in 2010.   I also saved about a grand in transportation costs, strengthened my legs and lungs and maintained my body weight.

Bike == Good.

Yeah, congrats. That's terrific! It's such a simple idea; I'll start counting in 2011.

For the summer I was using the Cyclemeter app on my iPhone to track my commutes, but after a while I stopped using it b/c it just said the same thing everyday and when the weather got cold I was worried about the phone getting too cold. Now I wish I'd used it every day. I just checked and it shows 93 rides this year with a total of 837 miles. The way I use it, it counts 1 ride for each direction of my commute, so one ride in the morning to work, and another ride home in the afternoon. That would make somewhere around 47 days commuting, but I know I did a lot more than that (and still counting -- I'll be commuting every day this coming week).

Anyway, I like your numbers and inspiration. Keep riding!

OK, finishing up at 197.  Off work tomorrow, so that's it.  Definitely shooting for 200+ in 2011.

BTW for those that think I count too much, 2010 commute stats:

197 rides to work

2,910 commute miles

$985 not spent on CTA (est at $5/day)

10 lbs lost (was 13 but I found a few over the holidays . . . )

Great job!  I never thought to track number of rides.  I actually met my (revised) goal for the year just yesterday afternoon while heading out for the Meatyballs truck at lunch: 6200 miles.  My original goal was 5200 (100/week), but I reached that mid Oct, so I figured why not add a nice round 1000.  Odd thing is, I lost 0 lbs; I bike to eat (and eat and eat and eat...)

in it to win it said:

OK, finishing up at 197.  Off work tomorrow, so that's it.  Definitely shooting for 200+ in 2011.

197 rides to work

2,910 commute miles

Nice. I think I should hit 3,500 miles for commutes. Will be more counting all riding.

JeffB said:

Great job!  I never thought to track number of rides.  I actually met my (revised) goal for the year just yesterday afternoon while heading out for the Meatyballs truck at lunch: 6200 miles.  My original goal was 5200 (100/week), but I reached that mid Oct, so I figured why not add a nice round 1000.  Odd thing is, I lost 0 lbs; I bike to eat (and eat and eat and eat...)

in it to win it said:

197 rides to work

2,910 commute miles

When I used to be a randonneur, I kept track of every mile I rode (to the 10th), and I had a computer on every bike. Training rides, organized rides, errands, it all went in the ledger. I topped out one year at 7300 miles and decided I didn't want to ride that much anymore. Since then, I don't keep track of mileage, but I could still probably tell you within 250 miles or so how much I rode this year. After a lengthy commuting layoff, I returned to bike commuting in December of 2008. I rode 228 commuter days in 2009. I told that to one of my smart-ass lawyer friends and the response was "aren't there about 250 commuter days in any given year?" Today was my 240th commuter day for 2010. Factoring in vacation and/or business travel, I may not be able to ride that much again. I may finally be done counting.

in it to win it said:

Nice. I think I should hit 3,500 miles for commutes. Will be more counting all riding.

Its always good to know that there are people more obsessive/compulsive than I am.  I hadnt previously counted, but a minute on the computer shows me at 225 commutes for the year.  I correct accusations of "bravery" by non-cycling coworkers by claiming Im stubborn to a fault.  :-)

Happy Cycling in 2011!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service