The Chainlink

There's a lot being written about the rise in cycling in the U.S. and, consequently, also a lot written about the clash between cyclists and drivers. Amanda sent me this article from the New York Times about the rise of road rage aimed at bikers. One of the people quoted summed it up by saying, “We’ve had a car culture for so long and suddenly the roads become saturated with bicyclists trying to save gas,” Mr. Cooley said 10 days after the attack, still feeling scrambled, in pain and traumatized. “No one knows how to share the road.”

Even though Chicago's a pretty bike-friendly city, there are those people who are downright mean. One time I was riding down Halsted with a guy who, every time I caught up to him at a light, kept yelling at me, "Out of my way! Stay on the sidewalk!" (which is illegal). And even worse, riding in a car with a few people, one of whom joked to the driver, "Ten points if you hit a biker." I got off easy compared to some of the stories in the article, but I'm sure there are worse examples from around here.

What about you guys. Do any of you have stories of drivers behaving badly?

Views: 362

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I almost became the meat in a a tour bus sandwich last week. I was used to taking Columbus at night last semester and there was no traffic. This was during the afternoon....I ride the sidewalk there now if I don't take the LFP.
In the city of Chicago threating some one, calling them names is considered simple assault. A misdameaner.
Call 911, get the plate number and discription of the car and driver and hope the cops show up...
i was on a side street by my mothers place, in my old hood and some jerk came flying up behind me. He followed me on a left turn, he proceeded to taunt me by coming real close and breaking hard all down the block. Then the moron turns down the alley, he lives right across from my mother! It was on i saw where he parked and i was gonna snap...

First reaction was destroy the car!!! Then i stopped to think, as i did this a cop who was walking his dog strolled up and he offered to called a squad car over...

Some people are just a$$wholes! I drove for years and still do every once in a while, there is no reason to be treated like you don't belong in the road. i have spent time on both sides of the spectrum, i love cars. I used to drive fast, street race, and have fun. i have always been considerate of cyclists, but i rode my bike every time i broke my car. (which was often) It sucks how some people just get mad and forget that they can kill with their temper. I gave up driving in the city, i have crazy road rage! I wish more people would see the light!!!!!
I have a great story about a road raging women driving a car. A friend of mine was riding down the edge of a road down the white line not swerving or eratic and she flies up along side him screaming at him to ride on the sidewalk and he shouldnt be on the road in her way.My friend traded the usual pleasantries while continuing down the road, she still was so busy raging out the window that she wasnt paying attention to the stopped traffic and rear ended the car ahead of her. revenge was delt swiftly on behalf of bicyclists. who have to put up with these nit wits.
That's great! I hope the driver she rear-ended was PISSED OFF!

Jim said:
I have a great story about a road raging women driving a car. A friend of mine was riding down the edge of a road down the white line not swerving or eratic and she flies up along side him screaming at him to ride on the sidewalk and he shouldnt be on the road in her way.My friend traded the usual pleasantries while continuing down the road, she still was so busy raging out the window that she wasnt paying attention to the stopped traffic and rear ended the car ahead of her. revenge was delt swiftly on behalf of bicyclists. who have to put up with these nit wits.
I can't even count how many times a-holes in cars have gone out of their way to express how displeased they are that I dare ride a bicycle. For some reason a majority of these d-bags are in an Audi and I usually just ignore their stupidity but on one occasion, against my better judgment, I retaliated.

One night while riding up and down Damen from Lawrence to Chicago and back, I experienced several instances of idiots in cars going out of their way to express how much they hate me. I ignored the first two or three but while I was riding north on my way home, around 2 am, this Euro trash a-hole passenger in an Audi rolls down his window, sticks his head out, yells something like “dork get a car”, spits at me, missing myself and my bike, then sped off.

I quickly chased after the car while acquiring all the mucus I could muster in the hopes that this scumbag’s window would still be down. It took me a while to catch up since every time I did he got a green light and raced off. I finally caught up to him around Addison. Right as I rode up to the car it started to pull away and that is when I flipped him the bird and spat a gigantic green slimy glob onto his window, it was unfortunately up. I laughed my ass off as I turned the corner and sped off with and image burned in my brain of the expression on that dudes face as he watched my nasty loogie slide down the window, probably thinking “how the hell did that guy catch up to us”?

Like I said before I usually ignore such ass-hatery and I definitely do not condone doing anything like this. For all I know the dude had a gun and tried to find me and prove how much more awesome than I he was. I have never done anything like this before and I probably never will again.

But alas, why do so many people have to go out of their way to be such assholes? It is something I have never understood.
Ryan LaGasse said:
But alas, why do so many people have to go out of their way to be such assholes? It is something I have never understood.

Because they're assholes. Wish there was a better explanation, but, unfortunately, there isn't.
A lot of people are saying they didn't call the police or report bus drivers. I think that just perpetuates the problem. When I had my run in with a bus (guy swerved and tried to run me off the road) I got the number of the Union Manager, called 911 and the guy was written up and suspended. I truly believe that if something is going to change aggressors should be punished.
What is been annoying the hell out of me is the scooter drivers that think they have the right of way ON A BIKE LANE!!!!
I've had a couple of them cut me off on the bike lane trying to pass a car.
the bike lane is not for scooters people!!!!
I have had to get out of the way of a motorcycle or two in the bike lane recently on Damen.

Also, I have had kids throw bottles at me or even shoot bottle rockets at me.
Since the firing solution of hitting a moving target with a bottle rocket is a complex one, I have yet to be hit. Now that summer is here, all the kids have re-stocked their supply of rockets and attempts to hit me have become more frequent. It is actually kind of funny, because they always miss by a mile. I have gotten to the point to where, when I see them preparing their missile, I shout out "first one that hits me gets a free beer!"

No one has collected the beer yet.
Reminds me of an afternoon last summer when I was going down Halsted. This weed-whacker-on-wheels was using the bike lane in front of me. I stopped next to him at a stop sign and said, "Excuse me, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the bike lane applies to you."

Result: No bitching and no more bike lane use by this guy. :)

Hector said:
What is been annoying the hell out of me is the scooter drivers that think they have the right of way ON A BIKE LANE!!!!
I've had a couple of them cut me off on the bike lane trying to pass a car.
the bike lane is not for scooters people!!!!
Yeah this happens every summer when all the bikes come out and drivers can't stand being passed up by bikes when they have to sit in traffic for hours.

Recently my wife and I almost got run off the road by a bus driver while riding our tandem. His response was get off the road its for cars not bikes. I was too mad to write anything down or make a complaint.

You have to watch out for the really angry and annoyed drivers especially on friday afternoons when everyone wants to be the first one home. Last week I almost slammed into this guys door when he tried to turn right in front of me. I was just inches away and yelled at him to watch it so he pulled over got out and tried to run at me. I barely escaped unharmed while he was stuck in traffic waiting for his next rage victim

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service