The Chainlink

Tips to keep you rolling along

October 27, 2008

WITH MARY WISNIEWSKI mwisniewski@suntimes.com

This was the year of bikes in Chicago -- high gas prices and a growing acceptance of bicycling filled the streets with two-wheeled commuters.

But now that leaves and cold rain are falling, the bicycle ranks are thinning. Dave "Mr. Bike" Glowacz says this doesn't have to happen.

"There's so much attrition because of winter," said Glowacz, who wrote the book Urban Bikers' Tips and Tricks. "So many people went to bicycling this year, I want to try to keep some of them on their bikes."

The big fears for would-be winter bikers are snow, ice and cold.

Snow and ice are not as big a problem as people think, Glowacz said. Even after a big storm, big streets are usually clear a day later. "For every one snowflake, the city throws five grains of salt," Glowacz said.

As for the cold, the key is to know how to dress. Biking in winter means layering, so you can strip a layer as the exercise warms you up.

On cold days, ski goggles keep your nose from running, according to Martin Hazard, a bike shop worker who co-chairs Chicago Bike Winter, a program for keeping people biking all year. Hazard also likes balaclavas -- those knit hats favored by bank robbers.

Another big deterrent for bikers is rain. One way to protect against the wet is fenders, to keep water from splashing up from the tires, Glowacz said.

Fenders are also useful for protecting your bike against salt and other winter muck, said Hazard. It also helps to keep bikes indoors when they're not in use.

"Every spring, we have the Night of the Living Dead Bikes, with people coming in to the shop with chains that are one solid piece of rusted metal," Hazard said.

To keep off the wet, zippered galoshes like Totes or even plastic grocery bags will protect your feet. Nylon pants and a waterproof jacket will protect the rest of you.

It's also crucial to stay visible with light-colored clothing, lights and reflective gear, as it gets dark early in the winter.

"One of the things I notice the most in Chicago is that people ride at night wearing black," Glowacz said. "I want to ask them, 'Do you want to paint a bull's-eye on your back?' "

Both Hazard and Glowacz emphasized that winter biking can be fun.

"It keeps off the winter weight," Hazard said. "It's gratifying when it's 30 below biking past a bus stop full of people who are shivering because they're not moving. They look at me like I'm crazy, but I'm comfortable."

Glowacz said that since he started biking in winter, he spends more time outdoors and has a greater tolerance to cold.

"I don't dread winter," Glowacz said. "I'm looking forward to my first snow ride."

Glowacz teaches a free winter biking class Nov. 23 at 3 p.m. at the University of Illinois at Chicago Student Center, 750 S. Halsted. Hazard teaches a free class Nov. 16 at 6:30 p.m. at Performance Bicycle Shop, 2720 N. Halsted. For more information, see www.mrbike.com or www.bikewinter.org

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/1243433,CST-NWS-ride27.....

Views: 37

Reply to This

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service