The Chainlink

What does your family think of your life as a cyclist?

I'm mostly a city commuter and I know my dad is nervous that I am going to get hit by a car while I'm biking. I explain to him that more people my age are killed in car accidents than bike accidents.

My 7 year old suburban nephew thinks I'm cool cause I don't use my car often. He is quickly becoming a bike fanatic too!

Views: 877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Because it's called a sidewalk, not a sideride. :)
Julie Hochstadter said:
If your family ever wonders why you ride on the street and not the sidewalk send them this video from CDOT. A number of Chainlinkers are in the video!
I used to bike from Milwaukee to Waukegan for a Mother's Day ride, camping out at Illinois Beach SP overnight. Mom was always happy to see me, and could tell her friends in the home where she lived that her son would bike from Milwaukee to see her.
When I came back "home" they were always offering me rides and I'm like no it's just 6-7 miles and if I need to I can catch a bus most of the way back.
Most people don't get it as cycling to them is a "drive to the park on a Sunday" thing to do.

Everything else I'm sure they think I'm crazy and cringe when I say things but hey someone has to be the crazy eccentric.
My parents keep trying to figure out way in the world I would want to commute. They seem to think there is something wrong with me. They will forward me every acticle they see about a bike rider being injured.
My parents worry very much about me getting hit by a vehicle when riding. On the other hand, they see how fit and in-shape I am and conclude that what I'm doing is worth the health benefits. Sure beats sitting in front of the Tube eating junk food, thereby contributing to the national healthcare crisis.
Hi Brian!

Brian Bird said:
My parents worry very much about me getting hit by a vehicle when riding. On the other hand, they see how fit and in-shape I am and conclude that what I'm doing is worth the health benefits. Sure beats sitting in front of the Tube eating junk food, thereby contributing to the national healthcare crisis.
My family was really freaked out before my accident, now I don't think my parents accept that I plan on biking again when my ankle is healed.

When my dad was visiting to schlep me to work and doctor's appts, I thought I'd show him that it really isn't so bad and had him drive on Halsted to see the bike lane I took when I was commuting... bad idea. I'm lucky my dad didn't have a heart attack, he was so nervous and hyperaware of the cyclists.

I hope they can be supportive when I get back to riding, I miss it like crazy.

I just got a call from my sister.... she rode 11 miles round trip from Deerfield to Northbrook to babysit my niece!!!!

Only problem she has was the intersection of Lake Cook and Sanders.

always nice to hear of a new convert.

Parents like to ride in the burbs for exercise and, aside from parental rights to worry, have no problem with brother and I and our enjoyment of city riding. We all grew up on bikes so it is natural to keep on doing it.

My dad keeps saying I Should get a car Just In Case, and especially now that I'm a single parent and so on, and since he was also a single dad He Knows What I'm Going Through, and I did not remind him that he wasn't the one who stayed with the kids, because well the holidays are stressful enough. So that's definitely oversharing.

The other end of my family, however, is cool with it.

I like that helmet too!

Peenworm Grubologist said:

The other end of my family, however, is cool with it.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service