The Chainlink

I know I'm just being cranky and some wrenches are going to flame me for being so demanding, but C'MON! Car mechanics open early, because people drive cars to work. I drive a bike to work. Besides the cost of gas and the environmental benefits, people do purchase bikes for the convenience of being able to compete with both cars and public transit in terms of speed (at least in the city).

This is what I propose. USE A KEY DROP BOX. Most bike shops have racks outside (go figure). Number the spots on the rack. Put a drop slot on your door or the building. Make service tags available online for printing. That way people who commute early can drop bikes off for simple service (tires, tubes, tweaks, etc.) and pick them up at the end of the day. So simple. WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN DONE?

DRU

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree. 10 to 11 seems to be the gold standard. I'd like to see some up a bit earlier for morning commuters in need of supplies.
I won't flame you, but if you'd worked in a service department, especially a really busy one, you'd know why shops generally don't do this. First, there is the liability issue. When you drop off a bike for service, the shop is now liable for theft/damage/etc. So locking it outside is pretty sketchy. (If something happens to a car in this case, it's insured by the owner -- not so much with bikes.) Second, the intake process is pretty important for diagnosing maintenance issues. If this isn't done properly, it can add a lot of time for the mechanic.

Lastly, and this is kind of key, and maybe something consumers won't be so keen on -- but the intake process is also a really important selling opportunity for bike shops. ("Oh, your chain is skipping? How about a new chain/cassette/chainrings/bike?") The margins and salaries are a fraction of the auto industry, so this interaction is actually crucial for service departments to stay afloat.

All that said, you will find (usually smaller, independent) shops that do go out of their way for trusted customers who reciprocate with their loyalty (buying components from their neighborhood shop at MSRP rather than on Ebay, etc.). I work at a shop that not only does exactly the things you've suggested, but makes house calls, after hour appointments, and even last minute deliveries for desperate commuters or racers. But these services are based strictly on mutual trust and relationships, and are not indicative of the shop's standard operating procedures.

Edit: Just regarding the operating hours. I know many shops that do open as early as 7 or 8am, but again -- these are typically highly profitable suburban shops that can afford to simply eat the labor cost. Those first several hours really won't generate any sales that you wouldn't otherwise get. Many bike shop managers/owners already work in the range of 60-80 hours per week, so...
Thanks for the inside perspective. I'm glad somebody put this to rest for me. The liability thing is definitely something I'd never have considered. Another question, does anybody know if it's even possible to insure a bike against theft or collision?

J said:
I won't flame you, but if you'd worked in a service department, especially a really busy one, you'd know why shops generally don't do this. First, there is the liability issue. When you drop off a bike for service, the shop is now liable for theft/damage/etc. So locking it outside is pretty sketchy. (If something happens to a car in this case, it's insured by the owner -- not so much with bikes.) Second, the intake process is pretty important for diagnosing maintenance issues. If this isn't done properly, it can add a lot of time for the mechanic.

Lastly, and this is kind of key, and maybe something consumers won't be so keen on -- but the intake process is also a really important selling opportunity for bike shops. ("Oh, your chain is skipping? How about a new chain/cassette/chainrings/bike?") The margins and salaries are a fraction of the auto industry, so this interaction is actually crucial for service departments to stay afloat.

All that said, you will find (usually smaller, independent) shops that do go out of their way for trusted customers who reciprocate with their loyalty (buying components from their neighborhood shop at MSRP rather than on Ebay, etc.). I work at a shop that not only does exactly the things you've suggested, but makes house calls, after hour appointments, and even last minute deliveries for desperate commuters or racers. But these services are based strictly on mutual trust and relationships, and are not indicative of the shop's standard operating procedures.

Edit: Just regarding the operating hours. I know many shops that do open as early as 7 or 8am, but again -- these are typically highly profitable suburban shops that can afford to simply eat the labor cost. Those first several hours really won't generate any sales that you wouldn't otherwise get. Many bike shop managers/owners already work in the range of 60-80 hours per week, so...
You can insure ANYTHING if you're willing to pay for it. You can insure jewelry...why can't you insure a bike??
If you don't own, you can get renters insurance pretty cheaply. Anything happens to your bike, you claim it was stolen off of your porch/fench/whatever on the property you rent.
I've heard that renter's insurance covers bike theft even if it happened outside your apt.
DRU- I'm not sure what part of the city you live in, but Upgrade at Milwaukee and Chicago opens at 8 am.
Jessica- Yes, my renter's insurance covers my bike after a $250 deductible. After my wheels and Brooks lady saddle were stolen last year (on a busy corner in the middle of a snowstorm in Janurary!!!), I felt the only recourse was to cover my bike$. In a good way, I have not had the oppurtunity to use the insurance since I got it, so I won't renew it for 2009. But its available through Progressive if you want it.
Saddle, Brakes, Wheels, Left me my lights@ Northwestern Memorial
Suzanne-

THAT'S ON MY WAY TO WORK. Thanks so much.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service