The Chainlink

Here's the story, I'm about 6'1" and I recently bought a Fuji Track Bike with a 56 cm frame. The people at the bike store I bought it from(Cycle Smithy) seemed to think that the frame size was ok and I ended up buying it(mostly because it was a really good deal in terms of price). I am beggining to think that this was a poor decision because the frame is seeming to small. I realize that I should have done a bit of research on this topic before buying it, but to be honest I am a bit of a bike novice and didn't know much in terms of bikes at the time. Regardless, I am considering buying a 58cm or 60cm surly frame and simply putting all the parts from the Fuji on it, and possibly selling the old frame. I would like to know what problems I would run into in when transferring the parts and any other helpful comments you guys have. Thanks a lot in advance.

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yeah thats weird they would have recommended that size for you... i ride a range between 58cm to 56cm and im 5'11''. obviously the top tube length affects the feel of the bike as well. id say a 58cm would be good for you depending on how long your legs are etc. well transferring parts might be tricky because everyone makes different size parts and threading varies. if you research the parts sizes and threadings they have and get a frame and fork thats the same then theoretically it should work fine.
There should be no major issues with transferring cranks, BB, and wheels to a Surly frame. You'll obviously need a headset press and crank pullers for a majority of the work. Both frames have the same BB width and threading.

In terms of sizing, Surly sizes their bikes on the larger side, so beware when you buy a frame. Check the measurements of the Fuji against the measurements of the Surly. You need to check both C-C measurements as well as top tube length. I'd go test ride a Surly at Johnny Sprockets, or ask somewhere here if they have one in your size.

Track bikes (such as the Fuji) run small, and most people riding tarck bikes on the street get them sized small, as well. I've seen problems with the steerer tube being too short, etc. See if you can get an un-cut fork and ride for a while before cutting the tube to determine where "your" size is at.
I also bought a 56 cm Fuji from Cycle Smithy, I am 6'0" and seemed to fit me just fine...Before spending the dough on a new frame you might want to look into a setback seatpost or even a threadless headset with a longer stem. But it all comes down to what frame fits you, I personally prefer a size smaller frame than the "proper" fit mostly due to the fact that a smaller frame is a little more nimble. Conventional wisdom would dictate that I should ride a 58 but my racing bike is a 54 cm compact...In my opinion you should be able to fit a 58 with a setback seatpost and a longer stem...That's just my 2 cents...

-Ali
weird, they are usually pretty honest over there. I ride a 54 and I am 5'5 and it fits comfortably.

I did try one of thier Fuji track bikes there (a 54) and it felt a bit low even for me. Not really that comfortable of a bike for me either.
I don't know if this helps, but the Fuji I have is an 07' model.
Why an unusual frame?
h3 said:
Maxwell Palmer said:

Hey Maxwell-- be sure to share your experience about Cycle Smithy here:
http://www.chicagobikeshops.info

If you're looking to get the experience of building a bike under your belt, certainly go ahead with this.
If you're looking for a bike that fits, as someone suggested, you could try a longer stem or one with a different rise first before going to greaterexpense and effort.
Seems to me, if you're going to go to the trouble of building up a bike, you should try to find an unusual or esoteric frame (old/used) rather that buying a current "off-the-rack" brand.
And yes, I do want the experience of building up a bike so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go through with this. I just need to save up some money for a frame, which will take a few weeks or a month. So I guess the thing I'm most worried about is transferring the parts.

Maxwell Palmer said:
Why an unusual frame?
h3 said:
Maxwell Palmer said:

If you're looking to get the experience of building a bike under your belt, certainly go ahead with this.
If you're looking for a bike that fits, as someone suggested, you could try a longer stem or one with a different rise first before going to greaterexpense and effort.
Seems to me, if you're going to go to the trouble of building up a bike, you should try to find an unusual or esoteric frame (old/used) rather that buying a current "off-the-rack" brand.
I have decided against the Surly frame because the one I wanted(the steamroller) is built for wider wheels and the Fuji that I am going to transfer the parts from is a purely track bike with thin wheels. I am now thinking maybe an 59 cm IRO Angus, but I also like the frame on the most recent Bianchi Pista, but I haven't been able to locate any Bianchi frames except Pista Concepts and other very expensive ones. To answer your question, I am mostly going to be commuting with this bike but I also want it to be track legal because I am considering doing some Velodrome racing in the spring.

h3 said:
It gives your bike about 1,000 times more personality. "Unusual" may not be the right word, but I mean something you can't just go to a store and buy.
I guess I don't really know-- are you looking to do track racing? Or is it just supposed to be an around-town hipster bike?

Maxwell Palmer said:
Why an unusual frame?
h3 said:
Maxwell Palmer said:

Also you might want to look into Leader Frames...They have awesome frames for relatively reasonable prices...I am not too sure about the bottom bracket being cmpatible with Fuji. I am just throwing some ideas out that's all...

-Ali
Thanks a lot =)
Ali said:
Also you might want to look into Leader Frames...They have awesome frames for relatively reasonable prices...I am not too sure about the bottom bracket being cmpatible with Fuji. I am just throwing some ideas out that's all...

-Ali
Thanks a loit. I'll definitely check that forum out, it looks good. I understand what your saying about the whole classic frame thing, but I have no idea where I would find them. Thrift stores? Ebay?

h3 said:
Thanks for the reply, Maxwell. Definitely hope you stay around the Chainlink, but you may also want to check out the Chicago Fixed Gear Forum, and particularly pore through the many many threads made up entirely of people's posted images of their bikes to get ideas and inspiration. Hopefully you will also get pointers on where to find what you're looking for.
To further illuminate the point I was trying to make, I don't want to see you spend a lot of money on commercially available options, then fall in with a fixie crowd that places value on finding old classic frames to build, and the DIY ethic, and regret having a mostly "store bought" ride.
Have you been to West Town Bikes yet? Good place to rub elbows with people who know stuff.
Maxwell Palmer said:
I have decided against the Surly frame because the one I wanted(the steamroller) is built for wider wheels and the Fuji that I am going to transfer the parts from is a purely track bike with thin wheels. I am now thinking maybe an 59 cm IRO Angus, but I also like the frame on the most recent Bianchi Pista, but I haven't been able to locate any Bianchi frames except Pista Concepts and other very expensive ones. To answer your question, I am mostly going to be commuting with this bike but I also want it to be track legal because I am considering doing some Velodrome racing in the spring.

h3 said:
It gives your bike about 1,000 times more personality. "Unusual" may not be the right word, but I mean something you can't just go to a store and buy.
I guess I don't really know-- are you looking to do track racing? Or is it just supposed to be an around-town hipster bike?

Maxwell Palmer said:
Why an unusual frame?
h3 said:
Maxwell Palmer said:

Maxwell, just figure out what you want. If an IRO is what you're interested in, get one. They're good frames and will do you well. A bike is most personal when ridden; you can also do things like upgrade your wheels and other components once you decide on sizes and save some money.

If you have any other questions, post back here and we'll try and get them answered.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service