The Chainlink

alright dudes, I need some assistance. I have popped 3 flats in the last 2 months and I am damn tired of the inconvenience this creates...

--- late for a meeting at work
--- almost late for Critical Mass
--- almost missed Project Runway...phewww thx TiVo

anyways, a friend recently mentioned adding a "tuffy tire liner" to prevent flats...I feel like if these worked so well then everyone would just have them, so what am I not seeing about this?

any words of wisdom would be awesome...also Bike shop employees, whose got em and how much?

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do every 5-7days. It makes a difference on how you ride. Sometimes if my psi gets too low I feel like I'm riding through mud. Then I fill up, and ZOOOOOMMM.

Then again, it could be the crack. j/k

Eric said:
Agreed, bad luck...

Your tires only go to 90PSI? How much do you weigh? I just googled the tire size, says it's a 700x28, which should be plenty wide enough if your tire is at 90. With the unlucky spree you've been through and with the specific things you've hit, the tuffy liner might be your best option!

I'm with Ammo on the tire pressure, I ride 700x23 and I have to pump them up at least every 3 days. I ride them at 115 PSI but at the end of 2 days they are around 90. Pressure is lost REALLY quick. They're not mtb or car tires that are at 30 to 40 psi, skinny tires have to be filled all the time (ugh).
Hard cases FTW. I had a bad tire where the tube actually came out the side wall of the tire LOL... but that was a manufacture problem. Otherwise they are light and made for commuting reliability!
I saw this video, those people are crazy. the devil I tell you.

root said:
tires are for suckers!

Invest into good tires. Schwalbe Marathons, Continental Gatorskins, and Specialized Armadillos are all good bets. A $40 tire is worth so much more than a $20 tire that you end up fixing flats on.

I'm not a fan of tire liners not only because they add more weight, but they also add another edge inside the tire that can cause pinch flats when tires are not adequately filled. Slime is bad all together. Not only does it add rotational weight, but because it's a liquid it moves around in your tire weird when starting and stopping. It's really gross when punctured (as mentioned) and clogs up valvestems and pump heads when inflating.
hey bikefreeek - I could be wrong but I think you were the guy (alex?) at west town that helped me and root change a tire for the first time ... So I am gonna listen to you.

New tires it is, bad luck it was...we will start there

BONUS: root is sacrificing some Gatorskins from a unused ride

Bikefreeek said:
Invest into good tires. Schwalbe Marathons, Continental Gatorskins, and Specialized Armadillos are all good bets. A $40 tire is worth so much more than a $20 tire that you end up fixing flats on. I'm not a fan of tire liners not only because they add more weight, but they also add another edge inside the tire that can cause pinch flats when tires are not adequately filled. Slime is bad all together. Not only does it add rotational weight, but because it's a liquid it moves around in your tire weird when starting and stopping. It's really gross when punctured (as mentioned) and clogs up valvestems and pump heads when inflating.
I've heard a few examples of the Marathons lasting for thousands of miles.

Bikefreeek said:
Invest into good tires. Schwalbe Marathons, Continental Gatorskins, and Specialized Armadillos are all good bets. A $40 tire is worth so much more than a $20 tire that you end up fixing flats on.

I'm not a fan of tire liners not only because they add more weight, but they also add another edge inside the tire that can cause pinch flats when tires are not adequately filled. Slime is bad all together. Not only does it add rotational weight, but because it's a liquid it moves around in your tire weird when starting and stopping. It's really gross when punctured (as mentioned) and clogs up valvestems and pump heads when inflating.
You should be able to get 3500 miles (at least) out of any decent tire. Now 10,000 miles, that would be impressive!

Kevin Mulcky said:
I've heard a few examples of the Marathons lasting for thousands of miles.

+1 on no liners/slime generally, though in winter the liners if used properly can add extra security. Snow+wind+20 degrees+flat = very bad day.

I've gotten over 10K miles off of a set of Maxxis Detonators (took me a whole month! harhar), and IMHO they are smother rolling than other big mileage tires. Maybe a tad hard to find.

Also keep an eye out for debris/glass/nails/tiny unicorns.

Having said that, I flatted TWICE yesterday while doing a little cross practice on the lakefront. Failed to find the culprit the first time 'round. Lesson: ALWAYS ALWAYS have a way to patch a tube with you, like the park tools self adhesive patch kit.
Well darn. Random information : FAIL. I'll have to find where I read that...it seemed legit... :(

Oh, and it still says C on my tires. And all the packages off the tires in the shop. And on all those tires. And on all articles I've read about tires...
I thought the 700s are VERY similar. The cross ones are wider, not taller. But hey, I could be totally wrong. It happens.

h3 said:
Circumference?
Refers to rim size more than tire size, no?
Is there a bicycle equivalent of snopes.com?
A question for "The Straight Dope?"

Jessica said:
Well darn. Random information : FAIL. I'll have to find where I read that...it seemed legit... :(

Oh, and it still says C on my tires. And all the packages off the tires in the shop. And on all those tires. And on all articles I've read about tires...
Tire size is the circumference of the tire; 700 tires fit on 622 rims. 622 is the bead seat diameter of the rim, which just about equals the inner bead measurement of the tire. There's an ISO marking on most tires which equals the BSD.

sheldon brown == snopes

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Sounds like your tire was over inflated, your rim is damaged, or the tire wasn't seated properly. Just a guess though!

Jessica said:
I ride 700 by 32. Had one problem...that was a straight up blow out. Heard the tire unseat, the tube rubbed on the brakes twice...I had enough time to get a 'Son of a bitch..' out before the shot was heard to the world. I have NO idea what caused that...I was riding home from work...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service