The Chainlink

I'm just curious how many folks ride brakeless, and why or why not. I ride with a front brake. Sometimes I get tired and I don't want to down pedal! That's pretty much the reason.

Views: 668

Replies to This Discussion

yeah, had to wear a leg brace for about a week but no serious injury. A few scratches on the frame, and a dent on his hood. The driver couldn't have been nicer or more apologetic, of course it helped that there happened to be an Evanston police car driving behind him at the time - saw the whole thing.
Gelacio said:
I ride fixed/brakeless/clipless cause its just the way I learned
Seriously?
Are you a moron or just a troll?
i use a front brake on my current operational fixie. My other track bike is set up fore & aft and i use 'em both as needed. Braking down on the drivetrain is fine most of the time, but i find it beats up my old knees terribly sometimes, and i've never been a good enough bike handler to knee-lock up on a dime in traffic. Generally i recommend folks use two brakes if the frame is drilled for it... it helps keep one from creaming a ped or hood riding... i believe in using every weapon in the safety arsenal. Just my 2 cents...

Now on the velodrome it's a different story. i always believed road racing is much more dangerous because people have brakes and USE them! On the track, you're all in the same boat and the danger that the guy ahead will lock it up on you is greatly reduced.
i ride with both brakes. although i only use one. i imagine when i get the new bars put on in spring i may after two years, drop the other brake.

but having two isn't a big deal, and sometimes, legs and two breaks, can create a crazy quick stop.

granted that didn't really help that day with that door. *cringe*
I have a front brake, and I'm certainly glad I have one for one of the above mentioned reasons: When I got doored by a cabbie last September, I filed a claim to cover my hospital bills (broke my collar bone) The first thing the lawyers grilled me on was whether or not I was wearing a helmet, if I had breaks on my bike ect. Even though there was no way I could've stopped in time (I didn't even see the door open), The simple fact that I had a brake is making the lawsuit go way smoother.

When riding around town, I rarely use the front brake, but it's always nice to know it's there as an 'oh crap' handle.
That's what I'm going to call a front brake from now on!

ZC said:
When riding around town, I rarely use the front brake, but it's always nice to know it's there as an 'oh crap' handle.
Yeah, by law, you have to have a brake. if not, they can sue you, even if it's their fault! Madness. It's the same way with lights at night. Without a front light and rear reflector, it can be pinned on you. Glad to hear everything is working out a bit smoother.

ZC said:
I have a front brake, and I'm certainly glad I have one for one of the above mentioned reasons: When I got doored by a cabbie last September, I filed a claim to cover my hospital bills (broke my collar bone) The first thing the lawyers grilled me on was whether or not I was wearing a helmet, if I had breaks on my bike ect. Even though there was no way I could've stopped in time (I didn't even see the door open), The simple fact that I had a brake is making the lawsuit go way smoother.

Sometimes there is just no reaction time, no matter how safe you are. Guh. I think many of us know that all too well.

leftovers said:
i ride with both brakes. although i only use one. i imagine when i get the new bars put on in spring i may after two years, drop the other brake.

but having two isn't a big deal, and sometimes, legs and two breaks, can create a crazy quick stop.

granted that didn't really help that day with that door. *cringe*
Danielle said:
Yeah, by law, you have to have a brake.

Ironically though, the law also says something to the effect that you must be able to skid the braked wheel on clean dry pavement. Physics tells us you can stop much faster with a front brake than a rear, but you could never hope to skid a front wheel before flipping over, so you're breaking the law if that's all you've got.

I contend though that for legal purposes, the drivetrain on a fixed bike constitutes the brake.
Where did you find the law about skidding the front tire on dry pavement? Just curious. I've only seen the law say it needs to be able to stop and hold the bike at a standstill - which a fixed drivetrain can do (see my earlier posts to this discussion)
GabeW said:
Where did you find the law about skidding the front tire on dry pavement?

It's in the Chicago Municipal code 9-52-080 - Headlamps, reflectors and brakes. Section (b,) which says:
Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake that will enable the operator to make the braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
When i first started riding fixed, I rode with a brake for about a month, and then I took it off. It never felt that dangerous, nor did i ever get hit. I like how it makes the bike look simple and clean. I am however, thinking of putting it back on my other fixed gear.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service