The Chainlink

I have my Bell bike helmet for over 10 years and I have been told that I should replace it? Is that so?
As far as I know Styrofoam(the inside of the helmet) lasts thousands of years and it does not become brittle in a lifetime.

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think I agree with you. It doesn't make sense that the styrofoam would become less effective in protecting your head from a fall over time (at least a reasonable amount of time). I'm sure if sweating in it for ten years would have anything to do with breaking down the integrity of the foam, but I'm no expert.
If you ask the helmet manufacturers they would say replace every three weeks !!! Seriously though, they say that if the foam is cracked that it won't be as reliable. Which is another reason I wouldn't spend top dollar for those 300 dollar fancy schmanzy ones.
wow. you should replace that helmet pronto. in fact, you should have done it like 6 years ago..
I've heard from people I trust that helmets are mostly worthless after 3 years. That is, if you get in an accident, it will break apart sooner and allow your head to take more of the impact. Someone should study the environmental impact of all this creation of styrofoam for bike helmets.
"Fancy" helmets mostly differ in weight and it's aerodynamic properties, cooling vents, etc. Take a Catlike helmet; they're $250/USD, but light as a few spokes and have a crazy amount of vents.
Depends on how you ride. I've gone through 2 before my current in the past 2 years. I've also had two major falls where my head received impact. Those fellas went in the trash.
I guess it's time for me to get a new helmet, too!
Hrm.

So I just read that if your helmet conforms to ASTM or SNELL standards then it must be sweat resistant. Also most helmet manufacturers put UV resistant stuff in the product to prevent breakdown. This info totally let the air out of the major arguments I've heard for replacing a helmet.

The following is true though: 1) The older your helmet is the more chance it will suffer damage that you may or may not be able to see. 2) New helmets will probably fit better 3) Newer helmets might be more safe than those avail 10 years ago. 4) If you let your helmet roast inside your car a bunch of times you should probably replace it.

I replace my helmets every every 2 seasons or immediately after a crash. I figure that if I'm logging 4-5,000 a year its probably worth it. Even if I were to spend $250 on a bling-bling helmet, that's significantly less than a hospital bill because my helmet failed on me.
Thank you all for the input. I think I am good, My Bell helmet is ASTM compliant.

I did some research too and came across this http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm page. I think Tommie is quoting from it.

The next step is to write myth busters (TV show) with the question. I am sure they will find a spectacular and pseudo-scientific way to settle the question with watermelons and bottle rockets.
Ummm...helmets should be replaced every 3-4 years. They do, in fact, become brittle. Don't even buy a used helmet. I've seen plenty of helmets able to be broken into pieces by bare hands because they were so old! They don't feel like they've changed much, but, save up 30 bucks and protect yourself properly. You won't regret it!
I have heard helmet styrofoam compared to Sliced White Bread:
Put a slice of bread on the counter for a few days, and it will still look the same, but when you pick it up and drop it, it breaks.
Yeah, brittle is what I meant. They feel as if they have gotten harder, but they literally can crack in your hands if you try. The older they are, the easier it is. We got a 20 year old helmet in and we threw it down and it looked as if it exploded!

h3 said:
Not sure if brittle is the right word, but supposedly the compounds in the styrofoam break down and it loses its absorbency.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service