The Chainlink

There's been a thread about each of our real jobs, but forget the real jobs... what about your dream job?? If salary, education, training, etc. weren't a consideration, what would you do?

I have two:
1) I would study languages all the time, it would be my full time job. Not to be a translator, but rather to understand how languages work and grow and change.
2) I would be a professional cyclist! Duh. :)

Views: 948

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I make a distiction between a "job" and "work". A job is what you do to earn money and that is the main motivating factor (but not necessarilly only) for doing it. Work is what I do because it's what I believe in and maybe fortunate enough to be paid. I am doing my dream work, but unfortunately (if I was paid hourly) only make about minimum wage.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7654267.stm

Mr. Crankypants will loose the pants, wear a robe and deliver hot towels and sake to anyone!!!
Here's a chance for a dream job...

West Town Bikes will be hiring for a Shop Manager position. Details and the job description can be found on the West Town Bikes website, www.westtownbikes.org, and here.

The Job Description is as follows...

Shop Manager

West Town Bikes, NFP is looking for an energetic individual who supports our mission, values and community. Our ideal candidate will bring a unique mix of bike shop expertise and nonprofit organizational know-how. Experience developing a business plan would be A+!

Our Bike Shop Manager must be willing to work hard to create a professional, empowering, and accessible shop environment for our customers, volunteers and staff. While this position requires a great deal of responsibility and experience, it also offers exciting opportunities for professional growth and making a difference in our community. Finally, someone with a healthy sense of humor and the ability to have fun with our funky organization will fit nicely on our team.

Essential Job Functions:
The Bike Shop Manager assumes primary responsibility for leading the West Town Bikes retail operation in fulfillment of its mission and vision. Primary duties include:

• Managing daily Bike Shop operations
• Development and build out of new retail and shop space
• Developing new business relationships including wholesale accounts
• Securing all appropriate business licenses and permits
• Acquisition of used bicycles for resale
• Ensuring the financial health of the Shop, successfully meeting revenue & expense targets
• Overseeing and delivering professional customer service to a diverse customer base
• Managing and developing shop staff: recruit, hire, train, manage and evaluate
• Working in partnership with the Executive Director to guide business strategy, growth & development
• Collaborating with Program Staff to support youth programs and volunteer activities
• Participating in strategic planning process for the organization, helping to develop a long term mission driven strategic plan, and annual operational plans

Desired Qualifications:

• Strong commitment to youth leadership, sustainable communities and bicycle transportation
• Previous experience in retail management and sales preferred; bike shop experience essential
• Experience successfully managing staff
• Experience mentoring youth ages 9-20 in engaging and empowering apprenticeship relationship
• Excellent organizational skills: systems oriented with high attention to detail
• Excellent mechanical skills required (preferred 3 yrs professional experience working on variety of bikes)
• Strong interpersonal skills & a friendly outgoing attitude with a desire to work with the public
• Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, ever-changing environment
• Respect for and a commitment to diversity, teamwork, and progressive social values
• Basic PC skills, working knowledge of QuickBooks and Microsoft Office applications

Pay Rate & Benefits:
Hourly wage of $12-$15 to start depending on skills and experience. Up to 40 hours a week with a varying schedule to begin with. Wage increase and benefits to be offered upon a scheduled timely review.

How to Apply:
Send your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to

Alex Wilson, Executive Director
West Town Bikes NFP
2418 W. North Ave.
Chicago Il 60647
alex@westtownbikes.org

Application deadline for this position is Friday February 6, 2009
Have 3 jobs that I would call dream jobs. 1. working on bikes for big money. I have been doing this for the last 15 years for no money on the side, but great rewards were money is not as important. Do custom airbrushing and wrenching. 2. Treasuring hunting-Living in FL or CA hunting for gold, silver, jewlery in the warm sun and white sand. Warm water to dive in and find the booty that is left behind!!!! Being around hot women on the beach would be nice also. 3. moon miner-Live on the moon mining minerals and making new discovries. Hopefully the world can come together one of these years and put our small differnces aside and unite as a single race, the human race!
I think my dream job would be hosting one of those shows where they show you all the great vacation resorts around the world. I would get to go to the best places and eat and drink and live like a king in a new hotspot each time. People work to live the good life, but when the good life is your actual job... fantastic.
Anything Mike Rowe does.
dream job: high end custom woodworking
current job: (laid off) carpenter

almost there!
Pete, want to come help me organize? It's driving me nuts that my stuff is so cluttered.... Personal organizer?

Pete said:
I would love to classify things. Well, I kind of already do that working in geology and biology. But, more seriously, I like to have things organized. When I know my sh!t is together, I just function better. And I feel good when someone comes in, sees my stuff and says, "Wow! This looks great!"

The other part of the dream job involves just doing projects for people. In high school and college I worked at Six Flags. During part of my time there, I worked entirely behind-the-scenes. I was given a lot of projects by the uppers and I loved having the freedom of planning and executing it.
I used to manage a bakery. Trust me. You don't want to do that. Unless your dream job is being up all night and dealing with crazy people for very little profit. Then there's the customers.....

Kelly said:
I want to own a cake shop. Decorating cakes and delivering them via bicycle. Oh yeah! Anyone ever seen Ace of Cakes? That's where I want to work!!

I'll take anything that lets me be a bum for at least 6 figures, since we're dreaming...
My dream job is that I would want to be a rancher working as a cowboy. Smoking plenty of trees and living off the land. Russling up some cattle, mustangs, but most importantly going hunting.
New dream job: help bring bikes to Gaza and the West Bank. And doggie/kitty daycare.
M.A.R.K. said:
How bout this?
Tue Jan 13, 1:52 AM ET SYDNEY (AFP) - An Australian state has launched a global search for candidates for "the best job in the world" -- earning a top salary for lazing around a beautiful tropical island for six months

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/lifestyleaustraliatourismoffbeat;_ylt=A...

It looks like the island is too small to ride a bike around for any appreciable time. My brother had a pretty sweet job last year. He had this work/study gig for college where he had to patrol various trails on this biological preserve that was closed to the public. Due to the distance, he was given a mountain bike to ride the trails on. Basically he got paid to ride around on trails for 10-13 hours a week. Since the preserve was an ecologically sensitive area the only people allowed on them were researchers or authorized people. A lot of the time it was just him.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service