The Chainlink

I can't believe the amount of people I saw wearing headphones on their bikes this morning. It's really bugging me since I got bumped the other day by a guy who had his headphones on and didn't hear me yell "left" as I went around him.

You're not in a car. You have nothing protecting you if someone decides to run you over. You are putting other cyclists in danger as you listen to Vampire Weekend. Stop pretending you are the only thing on the road. Headphones really just makes you look like an inconsiderate ass.

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think this is true since last year, I passed someone, gave a shout "on your left", and gave a good 5 feet clearance. There was no cars so I had no excuse not to give ample passing distance. It just so happens that at the moment I passed them they also desided they were going to take a sharp left and go directly across the lane and they ended up broadsiding me. We weren't at an intersection or anything. They just up and decided they were going to cut across the street at a 90 degree angle right at that moment. They didn't hear me because they had headphones on and rode like they were in lala land. The amount of clearance I gave while I was passing had nothing to do with it.

dav said:
>
If someone yells "on your left" and passes you and you get clipped that person didn't pass properly. That person didn't allow for enough distance to safely pass on the left.
You had one bad experience a year ago? It stinks that you had that rider hit you and I hope no one was hurt, but statistically we're in blue moon territory. What you describe was an unfortunate accident. The other rider should have looked over their shoulder before doing what you describe.

PJ said:
I don't think this is true since last year, I passed someone, gave a shout "on your left", and gave a good 5 feet clearance. There was no cars so I had no excuse not to give ample passing distance. It just so happens that at the moment I passed them they also desided they were going to take a sharp left and go directly across the lane and they ended up broadsiding me. We weren't at an intersection or anything. They just up and decided they were going to cut across the street at a 90 degree angle right at that moment. They didn't hear me because they had headphones on and rode like they were in lala land. The amount of clearance I gave while I was passing had nothing to do with it.

dav said:
>
If someone yells "on your left" and passes you and you get clipped that person didn't pass properly. That person didn't allow for enough distance to safely pass on the left.
i will occasionally ride with my right ear bud in at a reasonable volume, but not too often
Wow. Of all the posts here, this one rings truest. Judge not, all ye, the headphone-abusers, nor the ear-nudity-revelers.

Now I'm not sure if the devil had a hand in creating the ipod, but I think it wouldn't kill all of us who wear headphones biking, walking, sitting, etc. to consider that the frustrating sounds of the world can be learning tools for our emotional, spiritual, conscious development. That's not to say that cruising at 25 through the city while blaring Pavarotti or Replica Republic or whatever's your jam can't also be used as a tool. But how 'bout we all just agree to spice it up sometimes and accept the noise (if we're not used to it) and grow from it in a new way, or overdub it (if we're not used to it) and grow from it in a new way.

As someone who commonly falls back on blocking out the ranting in my head with headphones delusionally intended to block out "the world," I've found it both challenging and refreshing to check the status quo. Variety is the spice of rice, right?

And ultimately, you really just don't want Satan to be talking to you through the purest of all his instruments of evil, the ipod...so...

Bruce Mitzit said:
Headphones, iPods, cell phones, texting etc.all are pretty offensive to me. And depressing. These all seem tools to me to shut out attention, contemplative thought, the world, life. If I were inclined to think so, I'd argue these are the Devil's devices designed to keep us away from any spirituality or self-examination or insight. The world is an astonishingly noisy place and others try to obscure it by overlaying more noise to drown it out. I can't say this is an improvement.
I had the same experience that you did last summer. It was early on a weekend morning and this dude was just rolling along with headphones in. I appreciate that he probably wasn't commuting and that was why he was taking his time. I rolled along behind him for a bit and when there was a break in the traffic, I yelled "Passing on your left" two times, just in case. As I went a few feet out to pass, he decided to drastically change his direction. He hit my rear wheel and spilled. When I went back to help him up and out of the road, he admitted that he didn't hear or notice me at all.

All in all, this dude was lucky a car didn't crush him and that all he had was few bruises. I'm personally of the camp that I wear a helmet, I use lights, and I don't wear headphones (I use a speaker system to enjoy my tunes). I do not want what occurred to the rollerblader in the other post to happen to me. Unfortunately, there are lot of people out there who do not appreciate bikes as a viable form of transportation. If someone gets hit and they are wearing headphones, I wouldn't be shocked if it went to trail and the jury blamed the cyclist. Hell, it would even be my first reaction to assume it was the cyclist who wasn't paying attention.

As someone else mentioned: I'm going to opt for safety on my part. While I don't particularly understand why someone would ride with headphones on, that's their thing.

As for good cyclists: I bet we all think we are the bee's knees when it comes self ratings for safe cycling, myself included :)

PJ said:

dav said:
>
I don't think cycling with headphones is a great idea. I frown upon my friends doing it. But I wear headphones whenever I ride (alone). And the reason is that it's a lot more enjoyable for me- not so much to be listening to music, but to be NOT listening to cars speed by me. The sound of traffic causes a lot of anxiety for me. I hear that engine-zoom sound and I think, "that will probably be the last thing I hear before I die." Seriously. I know it's morbid. But I think that feeling panicky and anxious is not a safe mental state for biking. So I prefer to listen to music, use my eyes, look behind and to the sides before I move from my path of travel, and try to be aware in non-audial ways as much as I can.
Its not a good habit, but I'll admit that In the past 6 months I've started riding with an ear bud in my right ear. I keep the volume low enough so that I can hear the traffic around me and other bicyclists. I also try to be as safe as I can-helmet, lights, gloves, bright yellow jacket, hand signals.

It is a distraction, but I believe that having a speaker system would likly be just as much of a distraction. It makes it happier to ride my bike, especially in the winter. The people who are dangerous are people who aren't experienced. It's important to give them lots of room anyway and they are still far, far less dangerous than a driver who isn't paying attention.
Likewise, I'll ride with a single earbud in my right ear (volume low) just as a distraction from the sound of traffic, especially when I'm out for a longer ride. But for daily commutes in the city - rarely. I try to anticipate everyone else's distractions.
OK, we were incorrect about this. If you haven't seen the RedEye today, it IS legal to bike with headphones. Sorry we posted incorrectly.

We at Active Trans still don't think it's a safe choice but it is not illegal to bike with headphones.

The reason is that the code specifically states "no driver of a motor vehicle shall wear a headset receiver."

Here is the full code:

(625 ILCS 5/12‑610) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑610)
Sec. 12‑610. Headset receivers.
(a) Except as provided under Section 11‑1403.3, no driver of a motor vehicle on the highways of this State shall wear headset receivers while driving.
(b) This Section does not prohibit the use of a headset type receiving equipment used exclusively for safety or traffic engineering studies, by law enforcement personnel on duty, or emergency medical services and fire service personnel.
(c) This Section does not prohibit the use of any single sided headset type receiving and transmitting equipment designed to be used in or on one ear which is used exclusively for providing two‑way radio vocal communications by an individual in possession of a current and valid novice class or higher amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission and an amateur radio operator special registration plate issued under Section 3‑607 of this Code.
(d) This Section does not prohibit the use of a single‑sided headset or earpiece with a cellular or other mobile telephone.
(Source: P.A. 92‑152, eff. 7‑25‑01

Wish we were right, but we were wrong here...apologies all.

Ethan Spotts, with Active Trans

Active Transportation Alliance said:
The truth is that biking with headphones is illegal. Bikes must follow the same code as cars so if it's illegal for cars, then it's illegal for bikes.
It's the same with biking and talking on a cell phone (in Chicago and select municipalities)...unless you have a hands-free headset. But we at Active Trans do not recommend even that. Be safe; don't distract yourself while biking!

Ethan, with Active Trans
I know you apologized and it's not my intention to rub your nose in it, but it is a little bit frightening to me when the RedEye is a more authoritative source of information regarding bicycling ordinances and/or statutes than the Active Transportation Alliance.

OK, we were incorrect about this. If you haven't seen the RedEye today, it IS legal to bike with headphones. Sorry we posted incorrectly.
We at Active Trans still don't think it's a safe choice but it is not illegal to bike with headphones.
Kevin,

RedEye got their info from Brian Steele, the spokesperson at CDOT. And we confirmed it today rom the Training & Enforcement Coordinator at CDOT who is an Active Trans employee consulted to work at CDOT.

I was personally a bit shocked that the city makes this distinction but what we found out is that their legal affairs says it's not so for bikes specifically because of the word "motor" vehicle in this section of code.

Lawyers could probably argue it either way, of course. We've used the "riding with headphones" is illegal in our ride guides for years but we will definitely change it to a strong safety warning.

Again, we're trying to be here as a resource and we are sorry that we were misinformed.

Ethan with Active Trans

PS: Now you can look for me on the Clark with headphones enjoying the Beastie Boys
Brian,

I'm assuming you meant: Nobody should need the RedEye, the ATA, or a law to know that riding with headphones is less safe than riding without headphones.

As for the RedEye, when they give it out for free, it does make excellent stuffing for wet shoes.

BK said:
Nobody should need the RedEye, the ATA, or a law to know that riding with headphones is less safe than riding with headphones. Thank you ATA for handling your response professionally. I forgive you for making a mistake.

Kevin Conway said:
I know you apologized and it's not my intention to rub your nose in it, but it is a little bit frightening to me when the RedEye is a more authoritative source of information regarding bicycling ordinances and/or statutes than the Active Transportation Alliance.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service