The Chainlink

I can't believe the amount of people I saw wearing headphones on their bikes this morning. It's really bugging me since I got bumped the other day by a guy who had his headphones on and didn't hear me yell "left" as I went around him.

You're not in a car. You have nothing protecting you if someone decides to run you over. You are putting other cyclists in danger as you listen to Vampire Weekend. Stop pretending you are the only thing on the road. Headphones really just makes you look like an inconsiderate ass.

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't believe headphones are the issue per se, it's the lack of paying attention that's at the root of the problem. Honestly, everyone should be riding defensively on a road, and expecting the rider ahead of you to do something unexpected. If you're riding faster than other people it's up to you to pass them responsibly.
I agree that people should be riding defensively on the road, but I also think that headphones are a major issue. Anyone who rides regularly knows how much information you get aurally - not even by actively listening, but passive listening like hearing a car coming up from behind, another rider, a far-off siren. It's the same thing on the lakefront path, with the ability to hear children who may dart out, or another biker (like llaves) "on your left" call. I know for some people they may treat it like running, and think it's more fun with headphones, but it's just dangerous. I really wish that riders would leave the headphones off until they get where they're going.
Right on sister- Leah you are much more eloquent then I.

Leah said:
I agree that people should be riding defensively on the road, but I also think that headphones are a major issue. Anyone who rides regularly knows how much information you get aurally - not even by actively listening, but passive listening like hearing a car coming up from behind, another rider, a far-off siren. It's the same thing on the lakefront path, with the ability to hear children who may dart out, or another biker (like llaves) "on your left" call. I know for some people they may treat it like running, and think it's more fun with headphones, but it's just dangerous. I really wish that riders would leave the headphones off until they get where they're going.
Seriously, every time I see someone riding with headphones I want to say, "you know, that's actually pretty dangerous." But I don't want to be that girl. Sigh.

llaves said:
Right on sister- Leah you are much more eloquent then I.

Leah said:
I agree that people should be riding defensively on the road, but I also think that headphones are a major issue. Anyone who rides regularly knows how much information you get aurally - not even by actively listening, but passive listening like hearing a car coming up from behind, another rider, a far-off siren. It's the same thing on the lakefront path, with the ability to hear children who may dart out, or another biker (like llaves) "on your left" call. I know for some people they may treat it like running, and think it's more fun with headphones, but it's just dangerous. I really wish that riders would leave the headphones off until they get where they're going.
I actually just told a guy that this morning at Desplaines and Washington. His first comment "What?" Then I repeated myself and then he stated "But I can still hear cars." My reply was "Well you obviously couldn't hear me since I had to repeat myself."

Mind you- we were stopped, I can only imagine how loud his headphones were.

I'll be that girl- if it might save my life and theirs someday- I'll be that girl.
Totally agree. I ride the lakefront path a lot, and I am constantly passing people with headphones just waiting for them to swerve to the left and nail me. I can understand wearing headphones on a long ride with very little traffic (cars and bikes), but on the lakefront path? Come on...so dangerous.
Hopefully you don't get behind someone who is hearing impaired or has limited hearing.

Here's an interesting article:
http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-1-283-13276-1,00.html
I do ride with headphones, but again I ride out in the deep suburbs with ZERO people walking anywhere near me. Sometimes I ride with only one phone in if traffic is high but out near RT 59 its just me on the road. ***I also ride with the volume at a "normal" level where I can still hear the traffic. In the city I would not condone the headphones/ipods/mp3 players....
Honestly I think this really has little to do with what you can hear. What it really has to do with, is the amount of experience you have riding in traffic, or heavily trafficked areas, and just general riding experience. You honestly have to chalk it up to the fact that the average person doesn't ride everyday under all conditions. I would say it's dangerous for inexperienced riders to wear headphones. Honestly, I think I am more alert without the sense of sound when I ride, just because I am depending on sight alone, so I am looking before I do anything.

That's just my experience though, I'm sure for everyone it's different :)
Some people decide to put the headphones on and crank lame bands... Some have them on at a low enough volume to hear what is going on around them.

There's a simple solution... I always keep them shits at a low level. I might miss the latest gossip as I ride swiftly through Wicker Park. I mean seriously, did you see Becky's shoes at Debonair the other night? What a travesty.

Sorry about the inconsiderate chump.

Cheers friends. All of you, with and without headphones.
thank you for the smiles. and yes- becky's shoes were atrocious.

J Mills said:
Some people decide to put the headphones on and crank lame bands... Some have them on at a low enough volume to hear what is going on around them.

There's a simple solution... I always keep them shits at a low level. I might miss the latest gossip as I ride swiftly through Wicker Park. I mean seriously, did you see Becky's shoes at Debonair the other night? What a travesty.

Sorry about the inconsiderate chump.

Cheers friends. All of you, with and without headphones.
That's really interesting - I've never thought about it like that. But I think you're right - for the average person or inexperienced riders, that's probably not the case.

von_ricke said:
Honestly, I think I am more alert without the sense of sound when I ride, just because I am depending on sight alone, so I am looking before I do anything.

That's just my experience though, I'm sure for everyone it's different :)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service