The Chainlink

Any recommendations for a new crankset? What are you using?

Hey all, I'm in the market for a new crankset for a fixie. I've gone to quite a few bikeshops and heard a lot of different, sometimes contradictory opinions on what's good and what's junk. Right now, the frontrunner for my new cranks are ones made by Pade. I've heard Bulletproof is the cheapest and for good reason (they're junk), Origin8 is ok but not very stiff, and I've had one recommendation for Stronglight. I'm looking for something low-end, preferably under $100 for cranks and chainwheel, 46 or 48 tooth, 130 BCD, 68mm shell width, in case any of that matters for your suggestions. So what are you using/what do you recommend?

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Sugino RD is easy to find and super reliable. The Pake is basically a knock off of the RD but acceptable quality, though the stock chainring bolts are not the best. Both are available in anodized colors, if that matters. You really don't have that many choices in 130BCD that come stock with 46/48T.

There has been an explosion of rebranded cranks in recent years, and it's really hard to tell what's what unless you work on a lot of the same stuff. For this reason, especially when you're only talking $10-20 differences, I usually suggest that folks stick with established names. A broken crank is really no fun at all.

The suggestion to go used isn't a bad one. I too run old Campy road cranks with one ring on various bikes.

For what it's worth, I don't think 110BCD cranks are all that bad, especially if you have a quality ring and bolts and proper installation. I think these get a bad reputation because a lot of the low end fixies come with really crummy ones, improperly installed, and stronger/bigger riders will shred them in a matter of weeks. The Sugino XD is dirt cheap -- I have built over a hundred inexpensive fixies with these over the past couple of years with zero problems.

But you're right, a well made 130BCD (or larger) arm will generally be stiffer.
+1 Origin8 track cranks, not bad for the money. Bulletproof brand is apparently the same as these, but J&B is phasing out the Bulletproof brand name in favor of Origin8.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service