The Chainlink

I saw that there wasn't a thread dedicated to CM!

I'm sure this probably wont apply for most on this board, but just in case anyone is still not aware of critical mass: This is a really fun event to promote awareness of bicycle culture and the importance of sharing the roads. The ride happens the last Friday of every month. Here is a link to the Chicago ride site: http://chicagocriticalmass.org/.

I am interested in everyone's agenda in riding. I know some riders out there (like me) are in it for the fun and camaraderie of it all...anyone do it for another reason?

Views: 196

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Large turnout / goofy route made it annoyingly slow. I would say not typical. Still had fun though.
Ashley said:
That was my first mass, and I had fun, but was wondering if all the stopping/walking is typical or if this was worse than usual due to larger turn out?
they used to be more like it was last night; things started getting too fast in CM, and no one could keep up, it broke off into chunks, etc.

except the long stretches down chicago (at the end), western, and that side street before irving park, that's how a mass generally should be (i.e. turns every 4-6 blocks).
So Eric, you did go!?!

vxla said:
Ashley said:
That was my first mass, and I had fun, but was wondering if all the stopping/walking is typical or if this was worse than usual due to larger turn out?
they used to be more like it was last night; things started getting too fast in CM, and no one could keep up, it broke off into chunks, etc.

except the long stretches down chicago (at the end), western, and that side street before irving park, that's how a mass generally should be (i.e. turns every 4-6 blocks).
Unfortunately I did go.
Sure the ride was slow at times, but the vibe was great.

I found it very moving to see a thousand bikers stopped at the site of the ghost bike under the Western Kennedy overpass, all howling, laughing and enjoying being out in the bloodstream of the city.

Gabe - Great to meet you and thanks for encouraging me on my first intersection cork.

Ammo/Deadhex - Great to meet you as well.

Hasta,

Stewski
That was a great cork cause it started out potentially hostile but went great cause of the kids in the back seat of the SUV...The lil angry guy that started out honking in anger was smiling by the end...Good times!!! ;-)
this friday. anyone? anyone?
You are right !

M.A.R.K. said:
How can you share the roads, or promote awareness of sharing the roads when you hog them, blow lights, ride in oncoming traffic and in general, whatever tomfoolery you'd like?

Don't get me wrong, I love CM and taking over the streets like they are mine for a change, where I can actually feel safe within the group, I just think the post is a little misleading perhaps.?.?.

If and when I do ride critical mass, it's to celebrate bikes with other people, noting more.
No I gotta work =(

cutifly said:
You are right !

M.A.R.K. said:
How can you share the roads, or promote awareness of sharing the roads when you hog them, blow lights, ride in oncoming traffic and in general, whatever tomfoolery you'd like?

Don't get me wrong, I love CM and taking over the streets like they are mine for a change, where I can actually feel safe within the group, I just think the post is a little misleading perhaps.?.?.

If and when I do ride critical mass, it's to celebrate bikes with other people, noting more.
According to the site, http://chicagocriticalmass.org/ its on for this Friday...

M.A.R.K. said:
Q.. Has anyone else noticed on the bikewinter page that CCM isnt CCM anymore? Whats the scoop? Now its Buy Nothing Day Ride, Boxing Day Ride, etc. etc.. Also, there is no mention of WPCM, Evanston CM or any of the others on the calender this year vs. years past, what gives?
MARK,

perhaps active riders in CCM, WPCM, or ECM simply haven't been posting the events in the BikeWinter calendar? anyone can add an event to the BikeWinter calendar; please feel free to add them yourself!

see you on the Buy Nothing day ride!
lauren
co-chair, BikeWinter 2009

M.A.R.K. said:
Q.. Has anyone else noticed on the bikewinter page that CCM isnt CCM anymore? Whats the scoop? Now its Buy Nothing Day Ride, Boxing Day Ride, etc. etc.. Also, there is no mention of WPCM, Evanston CM or any of the others on the calender this year vs. years past, what gives?
I think that it's in lines with the whole "Xerocracy" idea in that it's whatever whoever decides what it can be if they are willing to do it. So, some merry prankster has decided to promote CCM as the Buy Nothing Day Ride. If you want, you can list it on this website, or the Bike Winter website or any number of other websites out there as whatever themed ride you'd like. You could list a Buy Everything Ride starting at the same time and place and be assured that quite a few would show up!

M.A.R.K. said:
If thats the case no worries, I was just curious.. Still curious to why CCM rides arent being promoted as so..

Hey Julie, I wasnt saying CCM isnt happening, just noticed the name change on bikewinter.. The link for the ride still directs you to the CCM.org page soooo...

lauren sailor said:
MARK,

perhaps active riders in CCM, WPCM, or ECM simply haven't been posting the events in the BikeWinter calendar? anyone can add an event to the BikeWinter calendar; please feel free to add them yourself!

see you on the Buy Nothing day ride!
lauren
co-chair, BikeWinter 2009

M.A.R.K. said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service