The Chainlink

OK - so life got in the way and I missed getting on to the team I wanted (Half Acre) -

found out last night they are full and all kit orders are already in (WTF).

I've inquired to Iron Cycles (no reply yet) and maybe spider monkeys.

Anyone know if spider monkeys' '011 roster is full yet ?

DB

p.s. XXX is a team that is bigger than I prefer. anyone know if Project 5 racing

has any city riders (or is it all suburbs).

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure about Spidermonkeys and Iron cycle.  You might want to check about Tati, they're based out of hyde park and have regular rides and a smallish team.  I'm not sure about how many Cat 5s they'll have though.

Check  Chicagobikeracing.com   it has a link for local teams telling you which ones are open to the public, lists the yearly dues and will have the team or club's contact info on it

what about 2CC?

Most smaller teams take members in autumn and close membership by the new year. Otherwise, the logistics of team kits are too difficult and tight.

You'll want to verify this, but I believe most of the lower category racing men have left Spider Monkey for Rhythm Racing. 

Honestly, if you are a novice male racer living in the city, xXx is the best place to start out. You'll get your feet wet, make friends, and eventually probably leave for a smaller team of like minded riders. They do have the best resources for those just starting out.

thanks for the reply..but I am not a novice. I am only a  CAT V due to starting over.

I raced triathlon from '94-'08 and road raced with Apaches and West Suburban Wheelmen.

true, XXX is the best for developmental large team camaradirie; but I am seeking a team

much smaller.

DB

J said:

Most smaller teams take members in autumn and close membership by the new year. Otherwise, the logistics of team kits are too difficult and tight.

You'll want to verify this, but I believe most of the lower category racing men have left Spider Monkey for Rhythm Racing. 

Honestly, if you are a novice male racer living in the city, xXx is the best place to start out. You'll get your feet wet, make friends, and eventually probably leave for a smaller team of like minded riders. They do have the best resources for those just starting out.

For training purposes, you can always join the standing rides like Judson and xXx, without being a member of a specific team.

For racing purposes, it sounds like you could either do categories or race masters. If I were you, and wanted to quickly matriculate, I'd focus on Masters 4/5s races, of which there are many in the late spring and into the summer in the NW suburbs and southern Wisconsin. In this latter case, suburban teams like Tower and Village are worth looking into. Psimet, South Chicago Wheelmen and BBVP could also be good fits. And xXx is still an option. 

With the exception of xXx, the teams based in the city tend to not have lower category masters riders. But clearly it just depends on what you're looking to get out of a team. If it's not things like skills clinics and mentoring, then you can always race unattached. Lots of folks do until after upgrading.

Dan, race with the chainlink kit :)) Fred and I raced as team chainlink at some cyclocross races...

J said:

For training purposes, you can always join the standing rides like Judson and xXx, without being a member of a specific team.

For racing purposes, it sounds like you could either do categories or race masters. If I were you, and wanted to quickly matriculate, I'd focus on Masters 4/5s races, of which there are many in the late spring and into the summer in the NW suburbs and southern Wisconsin. In this latter case, suburban teams like Tower and Village are worth looking into. Psimet, South Chicago Wheelmen and BBVP could also be good fits. And xXx is still an option. 

With the exception of xXx, the teams based in the city tend to not have lower category masters riders. But clearly it just depends on what you're looking to get out of a team. If it's not things like skills clinics and mentoring, then you can always race unattached. Lots of folks do until after upgrading.

Just checked out the chainlink jersey; I like it a lot.  Is there any desire or effort to design/sell some matching bibs/vests, etc.? 

I, too, am seriously considering joining a team and targeting some cat 5 races this year, but I mostly just like the idea of doing regular group rides with familiar friendly faces whose presence at races would inspire confidence and camaraderie.  As a cycling fan, I really like the idea of riding around in matching kits -- it probably has something to do with the whole being stronger than the sum of it's parts thing.

Accordingly, I hope to ride with many of you this year!  :) (I joined the pick-up group rides group)  I'm doing a Vision Quest class now and hope to get in my easy base building miles in March/April, so that I can start training for some early season races.

Anyone ever done Vernon Hills in early May?  It looks to be a good beginner race with soft-ish corners.  Also, those regular South Chicago Wheelmen training races look like good practice.

Are there any other races that are particularly good for getting your feet wet as a newbie cat 5 and building confidence?

Julie Hochstadter said:

Dan, race with the chainlink kit :)) Fred and I raced as team chainlink at some cyclocross races...

J said:

Hello,

So Spidermonkey Cycling has already done the kit order for 2011. You are of course welcome to ride with us on the weekends and Wed. nights. If you would like more detailed info (racing and such) feel free to shoot me an e-mail.  Hope to see you out on the road this year.

K.

The Matteson crits are highly recommended.

Gaper's Block Crits: http://halfacrecycling.org/journal/mark-your-calendar-gapers-block-...

Some teams also hold practice races and clinics during the week.

The primary resource for the local racing scene is http://www.chicagobikeracing.com/

Christopher said:

Are there any other races that are particularly good for getting your feet wet as a newbie cat 5 and building confidence?

Thanks for the info., gentlemen, I appreciate it.  I was just reading about that Calumet race series; looks like a pretty straightforward course.

J said:

The Matteson crits are highly recommended.

Gaper's Block Crits: http://halfacrecycling.org/journal/mark-your-calendar-gapers-block-...

Some teams also hold practice races and clinics during the week.

The primary resource for the local racing scene is http://www.chicagobikeracing.com/

Christopher said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service