The Chainlink

I have a 1984 Schwinn Voyageur NON SP that I am attempting to convert to 700c. When I say attempt I mean Ive already had the Dyads laced up, frame powdercoated, and pretty much all the components installed (except cantilever brakes) in hopes that it would just work....I ditched the original Dia Compes cantilevers for FSA Engery's (which was probably an ignorant decision) and Im running into issues with the pads not hitting the rim solely.

Instead they hit half the rim and half the tire:
Ive read forum after forum of some lucky people having success with the conversions but they either use the orginial Dia Compe's OR have tried their luck with a couple of other brake sets (Tektro CR720's, Shimano BR-CX50s, Paul Component Touring Cantilevers).

I understand that these conversions on older touring frames are no walk in the park when cantilever brakes are involved. The post mounts on my frame/fork seem closer to the rim compared to modern frames with cantilever bosses. I want to say that my poor choice in brakes is the culprit so I ordered these Shimano BR-CX50s:

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath...

I decided to try these out due to their design and the fact that they come with brake pad spacers. Did I mention my rim width is 24mm... Ultimately these Shimanos might end up failing but I guess thats what I got myself into...

Basically, I need some advice from anyone who has attempted a similar prospect. If you know any older pros in bike shops who have perhaps owned a 80s touring rig OR if you are that pro PLEASE help a youngin' out!

Views: 2501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had the same issue with an older Santana tandem.  The Shimano CX-50's ended up being the ticket.  I tried older shimano's, paul touring, trp, nothing else would work..

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service