Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Billy Goat West

40+ present

Julie Hochstadter - co-chair
Lowell Nelson - co-chair (not present)

*** Introductions

Several newbies - One new person from Minneapolis
Lots of veterans - John Greenfield has been riding in winter for 17 years
Everyone's favorite ride is the Dreidel Rampage.

*** Bike Winter History

Bike Winter emerged from Chicago Critical Mass.  People wanted fun during the whole year, and there was the Car Show Shutdown and Art Show.  Also to promote car-freedom and to show that people could live without a car year-round.  We've impacted policy, such as Kathy Schubert's bridge plates.  There was also a Bike Summer in other cities, and we turned it on its head.  Howard Kaplan has done a lot to keep the momentum going.  He was the chair for several years and kept it structured so that new people can get involved.  If you see a need, step up and become an important person.  Try to hold onto the grassroots feel.  Leadership is ad hoc, and anyone can get more involved.

Bike Winter is affiliated with Break the Gridlock, which is a 510(c)3, so donations are tax-deductible.

*** Event ideas

Hanukkah Ride - Kathy
Horrible sweater ride - Jamie
Thrift store ride - Oct. 3 - Lauren
North Side Critical Mass - every month
Ghost Stories ride - Jamie
Roll and Bowl (also the Polka Ride ends at a bowling alley)
Special Someone Ride - Sarah (we did the Bonnie Ride a few years ago to get Sarah's friend to start riding)
Shortest Ride Ever - Julie
Make it Reflective/Craft nights - Willow and Jane Healy
Marauders - Martin
Winter Solstice - Steven
Tiki Rides - John Greenfield
Frozen Snot Century - John Greenfield - this year to Madison!
Dreidel/Santa Rampage
Neighborhood rides - Lee Diamond
Fundraisers: Bike wash, phone drive

Post more ideas to the list or the calendar!

*** Swap Meet - Howard

Very successful last year.  A response to the commercial bike shows (CABDA), with a Bike Winter theme.  Co-sponsored by Active Trans.  Some money to Bike Winter.  The Park District doesn't want us to announce officially yet, but we're looking at Pulaski Park Fieldhouse, to have more room.  Active Trans is already working on it, they'll handle things like registration.  Still some planning to be done, but we'll keep it open to small organizations while getting a little more money from shops and other larger orgs.  A couple of roles for Bike Winter: Someone to organize the themes for different areas for activities and displays.  Someone else can be in charge of educational activities and presentations.  A third person for exhibits and demonstrations.  Contact Howard if you want to help.  Tentative date February 26th.  Working with Goose Island to supply libations.  A big urban focused Bike Winter event will be a great thing.

*** Film Festival

Bob Matter has done this in the past.  Last year Andrew and George Christensen worked with Howard to organize it.  Looking for someone new to take it over this year.  Looking at January 2nd, possibly at Facets again.

*** Art Show - Steven

We have a venue signed up, in Pilsen, the Chicago Urban Arts Society, on Halsted just south of Cermak.  They have a huge space.  It won't be concurrent with the Auto Show this year, but that's not really so important anymore, it's about the love of bikes, not cars.  March 11th to April 1st.  It's like a Bike Winter wrap-up.  Last year the Golden Derailleur was awarded to Willow at the art show.  It's a celebratory, social event.  But there will still be some winter after it.  WBEZ is doing a two-month series of events at the gallery, so we can get ad space on NPR.  This is the year to take it to the next level.  Steven is concerned about keeping it all-inclusive.  This is a real gallery and they'll bring another set of criteria to it.  Maybe have a kid's table?  We're exploring opportunities for partners.  We're getting a space which would normally be $4000 for $650, because they're new and want to raise awareness, and they see a great opportunity.  Not all signed yet, but close.  March 11th opening, party after March Critical Mass, and a party on April 1st or 2nd.  They're open to more events as well.  The gallery wants to bring in community organizations and put on events.  They have a space of 2000 square feet.  Bike Boulevards now and other small groups can do events.  They're open Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.  Rapid Transit did an event at the closing last year.  Looking for bands too.  The opening focuses more on the art, the closing is to "blow it out."  Last year we had bands and puppets.  Info will be posted to the BW list, the CCM list, the Chainlink, Facebook.  Look for multiple announcements.  

*** Balaclavas/Fleece - Gin - If you give people free stuff, they'll get involved.  People tend to stop riding because they don't have the right gear.  (A few balaclavas given out at the meeting.)  These things magically appear because people buy fleece and people make things.  Gin has patterns and tips about how to not waste fabric, etc.  The challenge to all of us is, even if you already have one, take an extra one and give it to someone.  When you talk to someone about winter riding, give them a gaitor or balaclava and tell them they can do it too.  It's simple and it works.

Who has a place for a fleece-cutting party?  Talk to Gin after the meeting.  The sewing is easy, it's the cutting that's difficult.  Also we take donations!  You can donate to Bike Winter via BTG by emailing donations@breakthegridlock.org.

*** Tips

Layers
Keep Toes and Fingers warm
Neck Gaitors
Wool
Clean your bike
Grow a beard
Goggles
Read the BW website
Take a class at West Town Bikes
Camping stores
Boots - one size too big
Cross-country ski gaitors
Live really close to work

*** Stickers!

There were a lot of amazing submissions.  The winning sticker got twice as many votes as any other.  Some cute notes were written as well.

And the winner is....  Marné!

The slogan is "I want to ride my icycle."

All of the images are on the Internet.  Past years' stickers are on the gallery on the BW site.  Gin and Michael will send stickers out in the mail; request info is on the BW site.

Submitted by Dan Korn
Bike Winter Secretary / Head Dreidel

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

So.... how does a newbie learn to ride in the winter?
Hi! I am having a small event at my house on 11/7 Winter Bike/Winter Home workshop--- it is winter home weatherization and winter bike prep workshop. How can I get some Bike Winter stickers, print material or other goods you may have?

Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing from you.

brittwilley@gmail.com
Will this be listed as a chainlink event? If so please remember to tag it "bike winter" so it can be pulled into the calendar on the new website BW is hoping to go live with next week.

Britt Willey said:
Hi! I am having a small event at my house on 11/7 Winter Bike/Winter Home workshop--- it is winter home weatherization and winter bike prep workshop. How can I get some Bike Winter stickers, print material or other goods you may have?

Thanks so much! I look forward to hearing from you.

brittwilley@gmail.com

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service