The Chainlink

For my birthday, I got the Yakkay helmet I've been stalking for three months. It's adorable. 

It also doesn't feel very good on. There's just about no padding in it. Which might be understating it. So it doesn't really hurt to wear, but it's not at all comfortable. And I'm wondering how much impact it will absorb if I fall. It's just hard as a rock inside. 

Two questions: 
1. Did I by some chance get a defective helmet?
2. What kind of padding can I put in the helmet to make it more wearable?

The helmet seems amazingly cheaply made for such a pricey helmet - though obviously the covers are the thing. I'm going to write to the company and I'm going to see if the covers fit a Bell or something. 

Ideas? Thanks!

Views: 6415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never seen this before, but it is my experience that bike helmets vary significantly in fit from one brand/model to the next. 

I ordered a Giro Reverb because it looked kinda cool, was really light and had lots of vents, but I couldn't get the fit right.  I tried the small and medium and even after ordering and installing extra padding (which Giro sent out for free) it still felt big.  I just think it's tricky because people's head shapes are kind of unique.  

It actually fits fine. There's no padding in it. With the exception of four thin circles, there is literally no padding in it. So I'm looking for ideas to add padding so imy head isn't against the hard inner part of the shell. 

Brendan said:

Never seen this before, but it is my experience that bike helmets vary significantly in fit from one brand/model to the next. 

I ordered a Giro Reverb because it looked kinda cool, was really light and had lots of vents, but I couldn't get the fit right.  I tried the small and medium and even after ordering and installing extra padding (which Giro sent out for free) it still felt big.  I just think it's tricky because people's head shapes are kind of unique.  

"...it's not at all comfortable."

"It actually fits fine."

Ok...

Just return it and go with a different brand since you're not happy with the build quality and/or fit.  Or contact the seller and order extra padding from them or find some generic padding on Amazon, etc. 

That's what I'm asking about - what kind of padding specifically do I look for?

(it fits fine, but there's no padding so the inside is hard. they're not necessarily mutually exclusive.)

Brendan said:

"...it's not at all comfortable."

"It actually fits fine."

Ok...

Just return it and go with a different brand since you're not happy with the build quality and/or fit.  Or contact the seller and order extra padding from them or find some generic padding on Amazon, etc. 

From the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute web site, a treasure trove of helmet info:

"Yakkay:  

"This Danish company sells a skate-style helmet with covers that convert it into a fashion accessory that does not look like a helmet. It is well suited to places where wearing a helmet is considered over-the-top for normal riders. The looks include a tweed hat with a brim that can flip up or down, a military-style cap in tweed, orange or other colors and two others that conform to the helmet shape but have different  detailing and textures. No vents in the covers. 

"Meets the CEN standard but apparently not CPSC for the US market."

(edit) "...Europe now has a CEN standard that covers all member states. Helmets can meet it
with thinner foam and lighter weight than the US CPSC standard, and often do not
pass CPSC impact tests." (edit)

"Dealers are listed in a number of European countries. List price in Denmark is 299 Danish Kroner ($60 US), or 90 pounds in the UK ($135 US), but much higher for some  high-fashion covers. Lazer now has a similar cap-covered helmet. A great concept for those who would not be caught dead in a helmet.

"Yakkay has a new accessory called Safe One that is unique for locking a helmet to a bicycle when you
get to your destination and want to leave your helmet with the bicycle. It locks the straps to the bike, and has a case that includes a bag to cover your helmet with, keeping it clean and dry. It is well-designed for a helmet that has a fashion cover."

So the difference in material hardness and thickness seems to be that your helmet meets European safety standards, but not the United States Consumer Product Safety Standard that helmets sold in this country must pass.  Seems to me, if it works for French, Belgian, German, Italian, (Dutch don't wear helmets), riders, it should work pretty well, even if not quite up to American standards. Though whoever sold it to you is probably selling under the radar, as I think non-CPSC certified helmets aren't sold in this country.

The Yakkay web site talks about applying foam circles to the interior for fine adjustment.  Did you try to stick them at the forehead and back to try to pad the inside?

Yeah, they're in there. But they really make zero difference. I think if I cut up a tshirt, it would be more padding. 

It's good to know it's safe, for sure. I'm also definitely keeping it. I thought maybe someone on this forum would know what kind of padding I could use to put in there for more comfort. It's not that big a deal, I'll just keep searching on my own. 

Thunder Snow said:

From the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute web site, a treasure trove of helmet info:

"Yakkay:  

"This Danish company sells a skate-style helmet with covers that convert it into a fashion accessory that does not look like a helmet. It is well suited to places where wearing a helmet is considered over-the-top for normal riders. The looks include a tweed hat with a brim that can flip up or down, a military-style cap in tweed, orange or other colors and two others that conform to the helmet shape but have different  detailing and textures. No vents in the covers. 

"Meets the CEN standard but apparently not CPSC for the US market."

(edit) "...Europe now has a CEN standard that covers all member states. Helmets can meet it
with thinner foam and lighter weight than the US CPSC standard, and often do not
pass CPSC impact tests." (edit)

"Dealers are listed in a number of European countries. List price in Denmark is 299 Danish Kroner ($60 US), or 90 pounds in the UK ($135 US), but much higher for some  high-fashion covers. Lazer now has a similar cap-covered helmet. A great concept for those who would not be caught dead in a helmet.

"Yakkay has a new accessory called Safe One that is unique for locking a helmet to a bicycle when you
get to your destination and want to leave your helmet with the bicycle. It locks the straps to the bike, and has a case that includes a bag to cover your helmet with, keeping it clean and dry. It is well-designed for a helmet that has a fashion cover."

So the difference in material hardness and thickness seems to be that your helmet meets European safety standards, but not the United States Consumer Product Safety Standard that helmets sold in this country must pass.  Seems to me, if it works for French, Belgian, German, Italian, (Dutch don't wear helmets), riders, it should work pretty well, even if not quite up to American standards. Though whoever sold it to you is probably selling under the radar, as I think non-CPSC certified helmets aren't sold in this country.

The Yakkay web site talks about applying foam circles to the interior for fine adjustment.  Did you try to stick them at the forehead and back to try to pad the inside?

You might want to look at foam rubber pieces sold at a hobby or craft store.  Cut them to size and glue them inside the lid.

I will. Thanks! (I saw a suggestion on another site to use maxi pads - the feminine products kind - and I'm not really that desperate yet.)

Thunder Snow said:

You might want to look at foam rubber pieces sold at a hobby or craft store.  Cut them to size and glue them inside the lid.

Yeah, attaching hygiene products would sort of defeat the purpose of a fashion lid.  Or would it make it more punk?

There's also the issue of absorbing vs. wicking moisture.

Thunder Snow said:

Yeah, attaching hygiene products would sort of defeat the purpose of a fashion lid.  Or would it make it more punk?

I'm starting to feel a little queasy

I'm starting to regret I brought it up. Though my solution might not be much better - the cushiony shoe inserts. But, you know, new ones. 

Brendan said:

I'm starting to feel a little queasy

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service