The Chainlink

Hello  everyone, 

Looking to continue biking through the winter here and had a few questions for you vets. I snowboard avidly and I think Ill be able to handle the cold, but I was wondering if you avoid the lsp during the winter and opt for the streets. I have seen a few post about the black ice out there and want to know if that's something that could be avoided by riding down halsted and wells. 

Also feel free to throw any other tips or suggestions my way. Ill be riding a single speed with one brake, so I think I'm going to do this to my back tire to get a bit of a snowmobile effect going. 

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Views: 963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bike Winter link.

Icebike link.

You'll rarely ride on ice and snow if you stick to main streets that get plowed first. Biking through the winter is more a matter of dressing properly than modifying your bike. If you'll pardon the expression, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Unless you're riding fixed, I suggest you have a brake for each wheel, especially during winter.

This will be my 3rd Winter.  I use Halsted/Lincoln/Wells year round.  No problems yet.  Use the same tires year round.  Street are almost always more clear than the sidewalks.

Let common sense rule.  You'll know if you shouldn't be out there...

Yep. The Bike Winter site has all the info you'll ever need.

Remember; Snow's not the problem- it's the wind that blows.

-f

Yes I'll be riding fixed, and growing up riding trials motorcycles has me confident enough to give it a try. 

Fran- for sure I find myself already opting for the streets during high wind days. 

Thanks for those links. 

This will be my first winter commuting.  So, I am very interested in effective clothing and lights recommendations as well.

Kevin C said:

Bike Winter link.

Icebike link.

You'll rarely ride on ice and snow if you stick to main streets that get plowed first. Biking through the winter is more a matter of dressing properly than modifying your bike. If you'll pardon the expression, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Even fixed brakes are always a good idea, if you are not fixed I hope you would have brakes regardless of season. 

Kelvin Mulcky said:

Unless you're riding fixed, I suggest you have a brake for each wheel, especially during winter.
The forum search feature is kind of frustrating, but there were a few "lakefront trail condition" discussions last winter that gave a pretty good picture (probably the best you might find on the webs) of the condition the LFP was maintained in last year-- worth looking for (or maybe one of our crack archivists can help.) I don't use it but I had the impression that it was plowed on almost as high a priority as the streets.

H-awesome!

and yes people I will be riding with a brake. Always with a brake , and a helmet. 

LFP Oak Street curve is not maintained throughout the Winter.  There are days you cannot pass through.

h' said:

The forum search feature is kind of frustrating, but there were a few "lakefront trail condition" discussions last winter that gave a pretty good picture (probably the best you might find on the webs) of the condition the LFP was maintained in last year-- worth looking for (or maybe one of our crack archivists can help.) I don't use it but I had the impression that it was plowed on almost as high a priority as the streets.

I use the LFP almost exclusively in my year-round commute.  Generally, the park district is very good about plowing the LFP pretty quickly.  Not surprisingly, when things get crazy (e.g., with last winter's blizzard), the LFP does not get as prompt attention. 

Ice can be more of an issue on the LFP.  As I commute from the south side, ice on the LFP is not as big an issue for me as it might be for those that ride LFP from Fullerton to Navy Pier.  Still, I typcially have enough ice related issues by January that I decide to break out the studded tires.  The ice related issues I have occur much more often on the LFP than on roads.

Of course, given the predictions of this coming winter being the worst winter in all of recorded history, who knows what will actually happen.  Active Trans' LFP twitter feed (see: here) can be a great source of information about current LFP conditions.  That feed seems to be much more active in the winter months, when the conditions are much more likely to be worthy of comment.

h' said:

This will be my first winter riding also. I appreciate the links. :)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service