The Chainlink

On my way home from work, pedaling north on Clark at Berteau I spotted a Red Fox! He (or she) trotted across Clark from Berteau and was, I'm assuming, about to head back into Graceland cemetery when I startled it by hollering "FOXY!" and it darted back across Clark, crossed to the north side of Berteau and peered 'round the corner of the building at me as I rode past.
If I read fox body language correctly it was saying "Gawd, what a dick. You scared the shit out of me." ;)

This was a full grown, healthy looking specimen. Looking well fed from foraging in the city. Neato.

This was around 12:45 - 1:00 am.

Views: 1121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw a pretty angry chihuahua in the passenger seat of an Acura today.  He really hated me.  

You are very fortunate to have seen that owl  - it was most likely a Snowy White Owl - they are known for hanging out at Northerly Island in the winter.  In fact it is one of the nations top sites for seeing them.  It is a magnificent bird.

S said:

I've seen coyotes at northerly island once or twice. There are quite a few bunnies all over hyde park and the lakefront. A few raccoons as well.

The coolest thing I've probably seen is was an all white owl of some sort on the lakefront a while back.

The owl was actually on the south side of promontory point.  It was during a run on the LFP at 7 or 8 at night during the middle of winter a couple of years back. I was pretty surprised since I hadn't seen any owls like that before or since.

chixieonfixie said:

You are very fortunate to have seen that owl  - it was most likely a Snowy White Owl - they are known for hanging out at Northerly Island in the winter.  In fact it is one of the nations top sites for seeing them.  It is a magnificent bird.

S said:

I've seen coyotes at northerly island once or twice. There are quite a few bunnies all over hyde park and the lakefront. A few raccoons as well.

The coolest thing I've probably seen is was an all white owl of some sort on the lakefront a while back.

Going south on Ravenswood at Roscoe this past summer, as I completed the intersection, a rustle in the woods from on the railroad embankment turned into a coyote running across in front of me. Obviously in a rush to go play with Buddy at Roscoe Village Bikes.

Very cool!  I've seen snowy egrets and great blue herons in some of the wetland areas on the southeast side close to the Indiana border.

S.Presley said:

The bridge just west of pulaski on foster...

I almost ran into a coyote just north of North Ave (north of North, funny) on that diagonal street along the river, parallel to Clybourn. Kingsbury?

Oddly, it slinked away towards Clybourn, instead of sticking to the quieter area by the river.

I ride from Bucktown to Downtown early mornings (230AM-ish) and have seen a herd of over 100 rabbits, a bob cat, a couple of foxes, a couple of coyote and 6 real drunk guys on Elston, mostly between North and Division.  The rats don't show up until around Halstead/Grand/Milwaukee.

BikeBoy5

I just read this on the Tribune's site explaining why we have a larger than usual number of Snowy Owls in the Chicago area this winter.  I'm going to have to take a few rides on the LFP as I really hope I get to see one this year.  

Love these stories. I have had a number of interesting birds land on the boat when we have been out on the lake. A Scarlet Tanager hung out when the fog got so thick 5 miles off shore you could not see more than 50 ft. When I was a kid a Mallard took up residence in our boat. She would take off when we would arrive, we would stuff a life jacket in the cubby and sail, remove when back at the harbour... fun to come down and see the fluff little guys when they hatched.

I love the wildlife in Chicago. It's more diverse than the rural corn and soybean monoculture I grew up in. Alleys are the best. I just started this blog: WildOnionBicycle.blogspot.com  I think I'll post another picture of bicycle/nature loving in Chicago.   : )

I write about this November tomato sprouting up between the concrete on WildOnionBicycle.blogspot.com.

Last summer I found some alley grapes...

http://www.satanpresley.com/2/post/2011/09/wrath-of-grapes.html

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service