The Chainlink

Why is there so much negativity in this space?  Am I just totally out of touch with reality, or are the forum rules totally disregarded with unpleasant attacks being the norm?  It seems like no-one can get involved, or ask a question without a gang of trolls jumping in and hijacking the thread.

I feel like I am partially responsible because I haven't been doing this enough but we should all be emailing the moderator more often: report@thechainlink.org

The forum rules are very clearly posted and I feel like there is a group of posters whom should clearly be warned or booted due to their disagreeable style of discourse.

I feel like our community deserves better.

jlj

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is because it is on the Internet.

I feel your pain.  I don't understand the disjointed discourse sometimes.  Even though I like tangents, some people get really heavy worded in really far-off tangents.  I usually duck under my desk after I reply to a post.  Like they teach in improv classes, maybe some need to learn the ability to say, "Yes, and..." instead of "Yes, but..." 

Look out.  Fire in the hole.

Very astute.

Mark Kenseth said:

I feel your pain.  I don't understand the disjointed discourse sometimes.  Even though I like tangents, some people get really heavy worded in really far-off tangents.  I usually duck under my desk after I reply to a post.  Like they teach in improv classes, maybe some need to learn the ability to say, "Yes, and..." instead of "Yes, but..." 

Look out.  Fire in the hole.

The universal internet forum problem. Probably won't be solved anytime soon, though many have tried.
The answer to what you're perceiving as negativity is not to go negative on negativity, but to bury it in positivity.  Putting it all on the mods is declaring that you don't have faith in your fellow users to do better, and/or not to feed a user who only tunes in every day to drag things down.

good question and good points all.

we could argue (debate ? discuss ?) this ad nauseum with no good result or conclusion.

I think we tend to quickly forget that we are all (most?) here because there is one thing that unites us : cycling (I am guilty of this too); and many (most ?) of our compartmentalized lives (work, family, SO's / spouses) in which we are involved in we are not encouraged (allowed) to disagree; so (being the opinionated lot that we are) we tend to lash out and jump on ideas here as kind of a virtual scapegoat.

I was on a forum years ago that had some guidelines that helped minimize this :

(1) the 10% nicer rule (try to be 10% nicer than the previous poster)

(2) use the "sit on your hands" rule : before hitting 'Send' , sit on your hands (i.e. do not send) and think

about whether you really want to send that to the target audience (seems we don't have time for this anymore ?)

The negativity you perceive is existing, but limited to a few threads. More contentious topics (vegetarianism, gasoline taxes, politics, to name a few) will sometimes devolve into fights.

I would argue that the vast majority of threads are useful to a large group of CL members.

You can limit your frustration by ignoring certain threads, or by ignoring certain posters.

This forum seems very well behaved compared to many. 

I'm not necessarily convinced that it's a problem. Seems like threads that flame up, have trolls and start hatin' get a lot of attention. The "lung butter" thread comes to mind. Seems like the hatin' started real quick with that conversation. Interesting observation, even though Travis caught a lot of criticism for being naive (or whatever) that discussion did generate a lot of ideas on cleaner air solutions (amongst other nonsense like Hitler Shark).

Something that I think keeps people in check is being able to connect an actual identity to a user name. I am quick to disregard the comments of those who are anonymous.

BTW, I'm Alex Wilson!

This forum is nothing compared to others I have used in the past. At least here you know there is a possibility you might meet other posters in real life Vs other forums where real world contact between its users will never ever happen. Trolls are everywhere though.

I think its just one or two trolls that seem to view everything negatively and then feel the need to prove that they have all the answers.

When I see that the Troll(s) have posted to a thread, I know its time to stop reading that one.

I am sure they will be explaining this all to us shortly with a 4 paragpraph post; and, maybe they will even insert some nazi pictures of the Wisconsin Gov that have nothing to do with this topic.

I don't know, since a lot of posters know each other in real life it's hard to take some of the back and forth too seriously. Also the goofiness seems mainly confined to stuff that doesn't actually have to do with the Chicago bike community. If someone is asking where to buy tires for cheap or if anyone wants to go on a ride to Kenosha, the responses will be on point, and if someone is asking how to stop global warming they won't be. That seems about right.
awesome...no objection or hate here !

Adriana said:

Why?

Rorschach's journal, October 13th 1985. 8:30pm.

...are so few of us left active, healthy, and without personality disorders?

In a world filled with radioactive isotopes, being a noble gas is difficult...  Oh my I sound like this...

Whoa feedback!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service