The Chainlink

1986 fuji team america, columbus tubing, 54 cm, hand made hand painted, etc.

how would you build it up?
what components? why?

Views: 548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd start with a paint job, something highlighting the lugs. then build it up with something like SRAM Rival, or Shimano 105. That will be a comfortable ride, but since it'll never be light go with reliability over flash on the components. I can't tell by the pic if it has rack / fender mounts. but that would make a very nice commuter.
The first thing I'd do is stencil in "fuck yeah" next to Team America. I don't think I would give it a paint job. Looks like it would be a good candidate for a single speed or fixed, but if you plan to do some long rides, I would skip that and gear it up seeing that you have some bosses for downtube shifters. The 2009 Kona Honky Tonk has downtube shifters on it as well, and if you want some ideas for components, you and take a look at that one.
Danielle said:
The first thing I'd do is stencil in "fuck yeah" next to Team America.

ho lee chit. i am definitely gonna do that.

Danielle said:
The 2009 Kona Honky Tonk has downtube shifters on it as well, and if you want some ideas for components, you and take a look at that one.

i think i will, thanks a bunch!
Totally read my mind!

Danielle said:
The first thing I'd do is stencil in "fuck yeah" next to Team America. I don't think I would give it a paint job. Looks like it would be a good candidate for a single speed or fixed, but if you plan to do some long rides, I would skip that and gear it up seeing that you have some bosses for downtube shifters. The 2009 Kona Honky Tonk has downtube shifters on it as well, and if you want some ideas for components, you and take a look at that one.
This was Panasonic's top of the line road frame in 1986. Its sister frames were the Campagnolo-equipped Team Europe and Suntour Superbe Pro-equipped Team Japan. All shared the same Columbus SP/SL tubeset and SP fork with Lostwax lugs. The ride compares favorably with other Italian-inspired Japanese frames from the era by Miyata and Bridgestone. It would have come with Araya rims and very light Panasonic/Panaracer tubulars.

If you did want to restore it, you'd go with 6 speed Dura Ace SIS (down tube shifters of course). The Superbe Pro version had a 7 speed cluster. Everything else is easy enough to find: Nitto Pearl stem, Cinelli-bend Nitto drops, Dura Ace seatpost, Selle Italia Turbo saddle. And remember to use gum hoods on the brake levers! 126mm spaced rear wheels are plentiful and cheap.

This frame does not have braze ons for fenders or racks and in fact, the chainstays are very short -- so clearance for either will prove difficult. While not as aggressive or stiff as modern road racing bikes, this frame will corner and descend well for lighter riders. But I would make sure that it's aligned properly before you spend time and money on it.

Or you could just cobble it together with used and modern parts. But isn't that a little too easy? I've nothing against conversions, but this frame is almost too nice to live out its remaining years with such ignominy.
J beat me to the punch here, but I can add some pretty pictures.

Here's the original spec:

http://picasaweb.google.com/scarsgo/1986PanasonicBicyclesCatalog#52...

And a bunch of photos of an '86 Team America restoration:

http://picasaweb.google.com/scarsgo/1986PanasonicTeamAmerica

If you can't figure out what to do with it, it happens to be my size... ;)
Wow, I can't believe someone has the original catalog. That's amazing.
thanks j, ive had this thing a few years and i've looked all over the webs for this exact info. i never thought about checking the alignment, and the guy i got it from did say he was in a crash with it.

burden said:
J beat me to the punch here, but I can add some pretty pictures.

Here's the original spec:

http://picasaweb.google.com/scarsgo/1986PanasonicBicyclesCatalog#52...

And a bunch of photos of an '86 Team America restoration:

http://picasaweb.google.com/scarsgo/1986PanasonicTeamAmerica

If you can't figure out what to do with it, it happens to be my size... ;)

again, ive looked around but never saw that, either.
Hey, a racing frame with downtube shifters! Get it a powdercoat and build it up as a classic racing bike. Does it take 700c or 27" wheels?
J said:
Wow, I can't believe someone has the original catalog. That's amazing.

I found it here: http://panabike.s-cars.org/

He apparently tracked down a former Panasonic sales manager who had an almost-complete run of US catalogs.
Chucko said:
Hey, a racing frame with downtube shifters! Get it a powdercoat and build it up as a classic racing bike. Does it take 700c or 27" wheels?

i would imagine it came with 27"s.. ive read a little about brake calipers that will work with 700c rims on bikes designed for 27's but i dont know all that much..

i like the classic racing bike idea cept i wanna red rim on the back and a yelko or a white one on the front..
I say leave it as is and either build it up as J describes or a modern variation thereof. It would look really nice with some decent components on it and left unpainted (un-repainted?).

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service