The Chainlink

There appears to be no poll functionality here, but I'm curious. Given probably limited resources to throw and bike issues, how do you think the Chicago Police Department should prioritize bike-related traffic "situations"? I'll throw out a few possibilities that come to mind.

• Cyclists who run red lights
  • Cyclists who fail to come to a complete stop at stop signs
  • Drivers who make turns without signaling
  • Drivers who double-park in bike lanes
  • Cyclists who speed on LFT
  • Drivers who speed a little bit (say, 32 in a 30 zone)
  • Drivers who fail to come to a complete stop at stop signs

This is front-and-center in my mind because there were all sorts of warnings during the North Shore Century yesterday that the police in Fort Sheridan and Highland Park were ticketing riders for failure to stop at stop signs and riding three or more abreast. I'm sure they were mostly responding to resident complaints, but I couldn't help but feel they were being a bit opportunistic. Fines were reported to be between $120 and $150 per infraction. That's $450 in the old coffers for riding three abreast!

Views: 1531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

anything that is law should be enforced, however, a number of these obviously need to be reviewed and revised.

+1

igz said:

anything that is law should be enforced, however, a number of these obviously need to be reviewed and revised.

Bingo.

I'm going to grab some popcorn and watch the unreasonableness grow here though...

igz said:

Before things get out of hand, note that I asked specifically what should CPD prioritize, given that they are probably never going to have the resources to completely enforce everything.

Another for the list, prompted by Serge's comment in the salmon fishing thread:

• Cyclists salmoning

Speeding on the lake path? is there a speed limit posted?

Maybe the Police have more important things to do as Chicago has become number one in murders.

U.S. cities with the most homicides according to new crime statistics released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation:

1. Chicago — 500

2. New York — 419

3. Detroit — 386

4. Philadelphia — 331

5. Los Angeles — 299

Detroit is still number one per capita but until Robo cop actually shows up they're screwed anyway.

http://rollingout.com/criminal-behavior/chicago-tops-new-york-as-mu...

CPD, just like a hospital, has to assess and triage constantly. If there are 50 squad cars patrolling a district; and 300 calls come in; certain things have to go to the top (and bottom) of the list; based on priority. so to answer you question - if there is ever a day when there are no really serious 'crimes' being committed; maybe they will get to your list. probably not. maybe the cubs will win the world series next year. probably not. please don't flame me - that was a joke.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Before things get out of hand, note that I asked specifically what should CPD prioritize, given that they are probably never going to have the resources to completely enforce everything.

I think a reasonable argument could be made that, given limited resources, the police could(/should?) focus on enforcing the laws that, when broken, will result in the worst outcome. That said, Skip's original list is tough to break down in such a manner.

Skip, I know that the police have been ramping up on the bike crack down up that way. Sometime last month they attempted to stop the Wednesday night Turin ride. I wasn't there, but I heard that it resulted in a wild west-esque scene complete with lycra clad cyclist fleeing on their iron steeds. I can't help but laugh when I picture it in my head. Apparently most of them did "get away."

A lot of these are " add on " type tickets. Me seat belt, on the phone or texting. This kind of ticket is usually give out when a more serious infraction has been witnessed
  • if you want an opinion on priority, i guess i see it as this:

• Drivers who make turns without signaling (and cyclists)
  • Cyclists who run red lights (could use revision)
  • Drivers who double-park in bike lanes (no different than double parking in non-bike lane)
  • Cyclists who speed on LFT (moreso, riding recklessly)(is there even a speed limit?)
  • Drivers who fail to come to a complete stop at stop signs (that this isnt viewed as worse than bikes is beyond me)
  • Cyclists who fail to come to a complete stop at stop signs (needs revision)
  • Drivers who speed a little bit (say, 32 in a 30 zone) (does traffic and poor traffic light management even warrant this as a concern?)

Don't forget the only decent idea the mighty quinn came up with is that bikes can ride through a red light if there's no traffic because we can't trip the magnetic detectors to draw a green light.

I also agree there's more important police work to be done like disarming some gangstas!

They should enforce the requirement to ride with lights at night.  Not sure if this is officially a law, but it's quite possibly the single thing that would increase rider safety if enforced.  Just some common sense...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service