The Chainlink

Share your pics, videos, streets, stories of what you find in the bike lane of the non-bike variety that has an impact on your ride and/or your safety. I've decided to keep it a little more open ended - cars, snow, buses, garbage, cabs, etc. If they shouldn't be in the bike lane, go ahead and add it to this thread. Please be safe if you are taking pics or video! :-) 

My hope is that we can collectively build some evidence of what we see when riding in the city with the overall hope of better enforcement of "bikes only" and improving maintenance. 

Update: More Hashtags to Capture Vehicles in the Bike Lane

With popular hashtags:
#BikeLaneShaming

#LaneSpreading (Chicago Bike Selling)

#ClearTheWay (ActiveTrans), there are many options to capture violations.

We think you should use ALL of them AND post your photos on The Chainlink. ;-)

Views: 80612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would you also like to add any unsolicited, generalized advice on dealing with road raging drivers? 

Sharing a few helpful links:

https://www.bicycling.com/rides/a20035592/3-smart-ways-cyclists-can...

https://www.bicyclelaw.com/road-rights-how-should-you-respond-to-ro...

There are others who are likely better at that than I am - including, obviously, you, who have those handy links.  I stick within my own lane (pun sort of intended) and do what I do.  Thank you for circulating those.

Good thinking ketoguy!  Congrats for finding a non-confrontational method to handle commercial drivers.  Quite an effort on your part...calling, emailing, following-up.  But definitely more effective in getting bad drivers off the streets and into the unemployment lines.

Unfortunately Ernesto's confrontation was with a non-commercial driver.  Which just shows (again) the futility of trying to observe bicycle lanes.  NO ONE IN CHICAGO OBSERVES BIKE LANES!

My interpretation of the video was that Ernesto had plenty of time to slow down or go around the SUV that was cutting him off.  But for some reason (maybe a false sense of security?), chose to bull his way through, hitting the mirror.  And then risked assault charges and imprisonment by biting the guy!  Ernesto, what were you thinking?   So as I've said many times before...

STOP THE INSANITY!   NO MORE BIKE LANES!

Ernesto, I have great respect for your biking abilities and dedication, as well as your stable of bikes.  But I've spent the night as a guest of the City at Belmont & Western.  And I can tell you that you don't want to risk overnight imprisonment, and a lot of time sitting in court, by physically touching ANYBODY.

Trying to ride in that stupid, narrow bike lane on the LEFT side of a busy Loop street is suicide...as your confrontation shows.  Forget about the bike lane; everyone else does.  So would you be trying to pass on the left if there were no bike lane?   Of course not!  Because it is suicide...you know that!  No driver would expect a bike to be coming up fast on his LEFT side.  He didn't see you; didn't expect you.  And the secret to staying safe on a bike is: NEVER GO WHERE DRIVERS DON'T EXPECT YOU.  That's why we should...

STOP THE INSANITY.  NO MORE BIKE LANES...especially stupidly-placed lanes like those.

Ernesto, I think that uber/lyft driver was ticked-off and in a hurry to dump his local fare and trying to get over to union station to pickup a $200 surge fare to Downers Grove with the Metra disaster. I guess you and everyone else was in his way of making big money.

'Time for Chicago's next mayor to crackdown on Lyft / Uber ride-share!'

See clp, no all caps shouting and your mascot won't appear.

Ha ha Tom!  I've become attached to that little Smurf mascot.  I LIKE to see him appear!  Where is he Yasmeen?

I capitalize words for EMPHASIS.  It's not shouting.  Some others use *this* for emphasis. Some others use this.   But that's weak.  Capitals break up long posts...and I tend to put up long posts.  And they attract the eye to my main points.

In my post above, there were two points I wanted to make.  The first was to Ernesto, that he's playing on dangerous ground by physically tackling some driver, rolling around on the street, and then biting him.  I've been there; done that.  My outcome was NOT good.  So I capitalized ANYBODY since he assumed a road rage incident would be resolved in his favor.  And my experience is that ANY physical (or verbal) contact is ASSAULT.  And he could have been locked up if the driver wanted to file charges.  And then gone to court, where judges and juries tend to side with DRIVERS, not cyclists. 

My second point was about those stupid bike lanes...did you check them out on the video?  Talk about unsafe!  Don't you agree that that Loop street would have been MUCH SAFER for cyclists, if those stupid 18" bike lanes had NOT been painted? 

Really?  Two bikes coming and going, and an SUV, are supposed to simultaneously crowd into that small space? 

Somehow we need to stop Ron Burke, ATA, and all the well-meaning politicians whose knee-jerk reaction to 'safe biking' is bike lanes.  It's not.  What us cyclists REALLY need is some ENFORCEMENT.

And I'll spare you my tag line.  :-)

Seems to me that someone who's so anti-bike lane should STFU in a thread made specifically for people venting about violating the lane. #JustSayin

If bike lanes aren't enforced what's the point in having them?

Bob, what's to enforce?   Those bike lanes are still SHARED ROAD SPACE.  Other vehicles ARE entitled to enter them!  They are NOT for exclusive use of cyclists. 

Imagine you're driving a car: if the car ahead of you has to slow or stop in your lane, you can either stop behind him, or drive around if safe.  You CANNOT just plow into him, express outrage, and physically tackle him as Ernesto did.  Sure, double-parking and blocking traffic IS illegal; but I've never seen it enforced.  Drivers just accept it...and stop and wait.  Why should cyclists be any different?

Same thing with concrete-curbed PBLs: you CANNOT hit pedestrians who step into them ahead of you...pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way over vehicles.  You must STOP for the pedestrian or risk being sued; there's no other alternative in that dangerously narrow, curbed lane. 

That's why bike lanes are worthless and even dangerous.  They convey the misunderstanding that they are for the EXCLUSIVE use of cyclists, as Ernesto, Argonne, and many other cyclists seem to mistakenly believe.  And that's why I say....

Unless the lane is marked as a shared bike lane, it is not shared space. Even then, there is no stopping or parking allowed in a shared bike lane.

RSS

Groups

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service