The Chainlink

Share your pics, videos, streets, stories of what you find in the bike lane of the non-bike variety that has an impact on your ride and/or your safety. I've decided to keep it a little more open ended - cars, snow, buses, garbage, cabs, etc. If they shouldn't be in the bike lane, go ahead and add it to this thread. Please be safe if you are taking pics or video! :-) 

My hope is that we can collectively build some evidence of what we see when riding in the city with the overall hope of better enforcement of "bikes only" and improving maintenance. 

Update: More Hashtags to Capture Vehicles in the Bike Lane

With popular hashtags:
#BikeLaneShaming

#LaneSpreading (Chicago Bike Selling)

#ClearTheWay (ActiveTrans), there are many options to capture violations.

We think you should use ALL of them AND post your photos on The Chainlink. ;-)

Views: 83384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

133 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

175 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

Right hooked by Taxi 2381 at Franklin and Monroe.

225 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

98 S Wells St. 311 report submitted.

151 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

225 N Franklin St. 311 report submitted.

I'm having a low moment here. Has anyone ever (*ever*) seen a bike lane obstruction handled by the police? Every goddamned day I see cars parked in my lane. I have photographed them, reported them to 311 and Bike Lane Uprising. I've reported violators parked along Polk Street to the UIC police. I've reported police parked in front of the training academy on Jackson to the police (TBF, I got a favorable response in January, but they've relapsed). I see no improvements.

OK... my beastly spasm is over. :-)

Nope, never. 

Nope. 

I've occasionally seen tickets on cars, yes. But I don't think the number of tickets is anywhere near a drop in the bucket compared the the level of the problem. 

I once spoke to a UIC police officer about a woman who had set up her food truck in the bike lane on Polk (at Marshfield) and claimed that they told her to do that. The office said that "of course" she wouldn't have been told to do it, and that he would go by there shortly to see if she was "still there."   (I had interrupted him in a personal cell-phone call when I approached his cruiser, on foot. I had been on a Divvy riding from the east side, and had left the Divvy at the Polk Street pink line station). 

I thanked him and went to my appointment. When I went back, about an hour later, he was gone and the woman was still there. That time I didn't stop to confront her.

By the police? Once. It was on Kinzie near LaSalle St. I stopped and applauded the officer. We had a nice chat for a few minutes.

I've seen a Finance Department worker writing a ticket *once*. They claim they've written over 2000 tickets this year, but given that they have over 90 workers supposedly writing tickets, I find that number shockingly low. I report an average of 1 violator for every 10 minutes of time spent in a bike lane. A single worker should be able to write 5 or 6 tickets an hour, or a minimum of 25 tickets per shift. Their numbers just don't add up.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service