The Chainlink

What Are Your Favorite Chicago-Area Bike Lanes, Paths & Routes?

Ok, now that we've been exploring the routes we avoid in the "Dreaded Bike-Unfriendly Streets", what are routes you prefer to take? Whether you are commuting, going for a weekend bike ride, or just heading to the grocery store, do you have some favorite bike routes?

The Mellow Chicago Bike Map Updated 6/20/18 - Collaboration of The Chainlink & Streetsblog

John gives a great recap of everything we've recommended in his article. Definitely worth a read!

Views: 6925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love Ravenswood as well. It can be such a nice quick way to go to Mariano's on Lawrence. With Damen and Clark under construction, this is my new go-to.

The mighty Loom (Loomis St.) from Archer (Bridgeport Bakery, yeah!) north to Jackson.  Damen north, as long as I take Blue Island and bypass the freeway exchange north of Archer.  Pershing Rd. is a workable route to the lake.  And let's not forget a few laps around McKinley Park, one of the best!  And Glenwood Ave., the most lovely way to reach my beloved former homeland, Rogers Park. 

+1!

I find there's a lot of pretty great infrastructure on the south and southwest sides (if we're managing expectations) and a lot of cool stuff to find. 

I was thinking about trying Loomis out, going through Bridgeport there and back. I probably will, eventually. 

Drexel

GREAT pick. Agree.

Alderman King is contemplating allowing parking on both sides of Drexel. I don't know where that leaves the bike lane that was just moved from the right to the left side of Drexel. There will supposedly be an alderman-sponsored community meeting about Drexel in the future so keep your eye open for that. 

Alderman King just announced that the meeting about allowing parking on both sides of Drexel will be this Wednesday October 16 at 6 pm at the Sutherland ballroom, 47th and Drexel. If you care about the Drexel bike lanes, please attend. 

Though this is obvious to a lot of folks here, but Elston is a wonderful alternative to Milwaukee heading northwest from downtown. They have fixed a lot of the crap intersections like Ashland/Armitage and Damen/Fullerton and it is a nice ride all the way up to Niles. Milwaukee is a disaster in so many ways and actually dont mind riding the extra few mile to Elston to avoid MIlwaukee.

I completely agree that Elston is a much better ride than Milwaukee, but there is something really great about biking through Wicker Park during rush hour amongst a huge pack of cyclists :)

I agree with Milwaukee on that basis.  I frequently ride to or from downtown on Milwaukee because it's more colorful and alive.  Ride slower, ride more carefully, take the time to enjoy the ride.

Tend to agree.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service