The Chainlink

The fiancée of a Forest Park bicyclist, who was killed last summer in a hit-and-run crash while crossing Harlem Avenue, is fearful that the driver of the car that ran into her betrothed on the night of June 1, 2014 will not serve any jail time.

Bob Skolnik, Fiancee of Hit-and-Run Victim Fears Plea Deal, Forest Park Review, 3 March 2015

http://www.forestparkreview.com/News/Articles/3-3-2015/Fiancee-of-h...

Views: 1822

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

+1

How about all the lives that will be ruined by not setting the precedent that killing people while driving is taken seriously and will be punished? 

Send a message that if you kill someone while driving you will be punished and have your life ruined and you might save more future lives. But that kind of thinking requires being able to think more than 2 seconds into the future. 

Yeah, a statement like that is easier to swallow when someone stops and takes responsibility for their actions.  When they flee a strong punishment is appropriate I think.

Wow, just wow. Agree, I can't see a judge saying that in many, if any, other cases.

"Prosecutors have been preparing his fiancee for the possibility that Judge Paula Daleo might not give Mendoza any jail time. Judge Paula Daleo doesn't want to 'ruin' two lives in this tragedy".

Jeff's life didn't have value or mattered? Cyclists lives do matter ! Sad. Let's hope that that the outcome of this case before Judge Paula Daleo is "fair and even-handed".

"Judge Paula Daleo doesn't want to 'ruin' two lives in this tragedy".

Shouldn't she consider that the driver ruined a lot more than two lives by his actions?

Question - could it be possible because his fiance is in Florida, the victim may not be as visible/real to the judge because she doesn't have to look into the faces of his grieving loved ones? I would think that would be very hard to say if you saw the faces of the people whose lives have been impacted by the hit-and-run driver. 

Sure and I suppose a bunch of cyclists could stand in for her in the courtroom. I don't think it will make much of a difference knowing how these judges roll but we should show her we're watching.

Take away his driver's license and ban him from obtaining a drivers license in any of the 50 states. 

That wouldn't "ruin his life"; he doesn't need to go to jail, and it sends a clear message to offenders who commit crimes like this.

Yes.

It's over. He only got probation.

"Schultz's family, friends and fiancee took up an entire row in the courtroom's gallery. They'd attended every one of Mendoza's court hearings since Schultz died, and said Mendoza should be charged to the fullest extent of the law....Mendoza had watched the Blackhawks...at 12th Street Wings in Forest Park. While watching the game, he had two drinks and a shot of tequila....Schultz was launched 55 feet from the area of impact and was pronounced dead on the scene....The complete lack of any braking marks before or after the point of first contact cite there was no emergency braking on the part of the driver....Investigators estimated the Honda was traveling at speeds between 54 and 76 mph in a 35 mph zone when it hit Schultz."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/oak-park/news/ct-oak-schultz-...
Basically, the driver said he was sorry and went completely unpunished. Unbelievable.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service