The Chainlink

There's only one indoor velodrome in the country – do you know where it is?

Has anyone been to an indoor velodrome before? There's only one indoor velodrome in the country and we are hoping to turn Chicago Velo Campus into the second!

Views: 1873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll pitch in the $10 to buy a new domain name. The 4 season marketing angle was ill-conceived.

I'd also be happy to see a covered velodrome in the city but the organizers need to recognize that a roof is not required to cycle in Chicago in the winter. To suggest otherwise is either ignorant or insulting.

edit: I'm not upset either. It does look like fun. I just think the 4 Seasons marketing angle is counterproductive to the promotion of year-round outdoor biking.

Sorry, Melanie. I certainly wasn't upset, and had no intention of making it seem like I was attacking your beliefs or opinion. I BELIEVE that riding on a 250 meter track with 45 degree banked walls would be a hoot (I used to ride in Northbrook 20 years ago), but is unlikely to result in broader adoption of year round cycling.

Melanie said:

I have no idea what people will or will not do- I am just stating my belief and an opinion. I personally don't think it discourages anything by the way they are marketing- I ride year round and I actually thought it might be something interesting to check this place out and I'm not even into track racing or indoor cycling.  I certainly didn't mean for anyone to get upset by my comment, either. I support winter cycling, in any form.

[snip]

Thanks guys for your comments and thoughts.  Our post was meant to create a FUN discussion about a new kind of cycling opportunity in the city of Chicago. For sure people in Chicago cycle all winter outside (we see it and do it ourselves), what we are creating is an indoor space where people can ride fast, race, train and have fun year round – it’s a different cycling experience.  Whether or not people choose to support us and our work is their individual choice, but we hope that those in the cycling community will try to understand our mission and efforts.

Absolutely no-one suggested they were not interested in supporting you in this work.

Simply asking that you think about how your messaging may be undermining the work of others in the Chicago bike advocacy community.

Chicago Velo Campus said:

Thanks guys for your comments and thoughts.  Our post was meant to create a FUN discussion about a new kind of cycling opportunity in the city of Chicago. For sure people in Chicago cycle all winter outside (we see it and do it ourselves), what we are creating is an indoor space where people can ride fast, race, train and have fun year round – it’s a different cycling experience.  Whether or not people choose to support us and our work is their individual choice, but we hope that those in the cycling community will try to understand our mission and efforts.

y'all need to lighten up!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service