The Chainlink

The Craig's List Ad section revisited...classic...clever.....outlandish....Elgin guy....tiring and so forth.

This one caught my eye, and yes Howard, I think this merits re-discussing.

First the link:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1065285621.html

And since it will probably be flagged soon, here is the text:

RE: Re: Re: Re:::::: (Thunderdome)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-znkft-1065285621@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-03-07, 10:48PM CST

There is ONLY ONE way to SETTLE THIS!

All "RE" posts can now sign up for CRAIGSLIST DEATH MATCH. Each week I will be hosting a fight to the death, no holds barred, grudge match--- pitching bitching opponents against each other to settle their disputes the good old fashioned way-in public-in person.

Bring your spell check, bring your sense of hipster entitlement, bring your tight jeans and disapproving stare, bring your seat posts as weapons! Most of all, BRING IT ON!!!

No longer do you have to fight for clever ironic virtual dominance! If you don't like his price-BASH HIM ONE! If you think he's selling imperfect wheelsets-STEAMROLL HIM! It's down and dirty weasel vs. wussy!

Craigslisters submit your favourite annoying Re-posting whiners by Thursday of each week, and on Friday night we can ride our bikes to a selected location to cheer on your selected cheerless rivals.

Two will enter, one will leave.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1065285621

Views: 5755

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is an ad placed by Shining Bikes and Things (5600 N. Western), believed by many on the chainlink to be a somewhat sketchy operation. Here's an old thread.

James BlackHeron said:

What a Bargain!

Only $250.

Vintage Raleigh Gentleman Cruiser - $250 (Lincoln Square)

Date: 2012-06-18, 4:58PM CDT
Reply to: x6ccq-3081117811@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a very nice Raleigh for the Cool Gent 
Rides very smooth and has that classy feel 
If you are interested in this bike it is available at 5600 N. Western Ave. 

Seems they are going by the name "Chicago Bike Finders" these days.  I didn't connect the dots.  I've seen a lot of ads by CBF lately.   I suppose they already have enough bad publicity as Shining Bikes & Things that they had to assume another alias. 

This guy is almost as annoying as the one who puts  "-LIKE A SCHWINN" into the title of every darn ad they post on Craigslist 

Kevin C said:

This is an ad placed by Shining Bikes and Things (5600 N. Western), believed by many on the chainlink to be a somewhat sketchy operation. Here's an old thread.

James BlackHeron said:

What a Bargain!

Only $250.

Vintage Raleigh Gentleman Cruiser - $250 (Lincoln Square)

Date: 2012-06-18, 4:58PM CDT
Reply to: x6ccq-3081117811@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a very nice Raleigh for the Cool Gent 
Rides very smooth and has that classy feel 
If you are interested in this bike it is available at 5600 N. Western Ave. 

Anyone Missing a Masi?

Seems waaaay too cheap for a bike like this. Plus, if you just sunk "200" on a wheel set, why only recoup 70 for the rest of the bike?

"im selling a masi speciale fixied in great condition just spent over 200 on new wheels about 8 months ago selling for only 270, nothing wrong at all with the bike super smooth, bike retails over 800 new serious buyers call to 773-392-2952, 270 cash takes it call if you have the monwy and are serious about buying thanks"

This is the correct link:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bik/3086141883.html

Ian Dinsmor said:

Anyone Missing a Masi?

Seems waaaay too cheap for a bike like this. Plus, if you just sunk "200" on a wheel set, why only recoup 70 for the rest of the bike?

"im selling a masi speciale fixied in great condition just spent over 200 on new wheels about 8 months ago selling for only 270, nothing wrong at all with the bike super smooth, bike retails over 800 new serious buyers call to 773-392-2952, 270 cash takes it call if you have the monwy and are serious about buying thanks"

I don't know about that Masi being THAT cheap.   The market is kind of sucking this year for bikes -people have no money and lots of people are dumping nicer bikes and depressing the market.   

Plus that's a fixie and while the fixie craze might not be "over" it's cooling down in a hurry with many lower-end bikes making the higher-end ones less in demand -there is no lack of supply.  That is for sure.  If this guy is motivated to sell for needed money right now he's going to need to sell about where it is priced -or be waiting a long time until that right buyer happens by.  And it could be a long time the way things are going right now.

There are a lot of nice bikes (with gears no less) at this price point floating around this year and it seems to be a buyer's market.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3087600817.html

Has anyone ever dealt with this guy before?  The deal seems too good to be true.  Guy lives in Humboldt park, is only available during weird hours.  His number 312 5436500 has come up on other road bikes before.  

Looks really shady to me ;-)

TehDoak said:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3087600817.html

Has anyone ever dealt with this guy before?  The deal seems too good to be true.  Guy lives in Humboldt park, is only available during weird hours.  His number 312 5436500 has come up on other road bikes before.  

Then there  is this guy from Carol Stream who posts a list of keywords in his ads that have NOTHING to do with what he is selling so every time I'm searching for things HE IS NOT SELLING his stupid listings pop up.

Shimano Bike Parts - $10 (Carol Stream)

Date: 2012-06-14, 10:07AM CDT
Reply to: rpzpz-3060548769@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Profile Aerobars -- $15

Continental Super Sport $10
Continental GP Attack $10

Keywords: sram red force rival apex shimano 600 105 ultegra dura ace tiagra s...

I'd love to flag his ads but I suppose I'd be the only one doing flagging so it wouldn't help.  That BS really annoys me

Ah, the old backwards fork trick...

"Collected" bikes from all over the world huh?  Did you actually try and RIDE any of them?

CHEAP CHEAP TOP OF THE LINE BIKES (North Westside)

Date: 2012-07-20, 2:51PM CDT
Reply to: mjjm8-3152255411@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hello, Bikers
MY name is Paul Matthews. I'v collected bikes from ALL AROUND THE WORLD, FOR THE PAST 12 YEARS.
I have all sorts of Bicycles and Tricycles. I'v got to use the basement for storage. So therefor I have to get rid of them :-( . 
I'm making GREAT deals on them, I'v sold many. But Still have Many Great Bicycles. 
SUCH AS : 1. TREK 800 " Mountain Track Ultra Lite"
2. Pro IRONMAN "Made with Titanium Buron Steel"
3. Next " Power Climber" 18 speed SHIMANO SHIFTING
4. GIANT "ATTRACTION" FOR GIRLS
5. MONGOOSE " QUARTZ AL" Torque Driving System, 18 speed, Made of Aluminum Tubing " Lite".
ALL GREAT BIKES AT A " GREAT DEAL" 
Give me a Call
Paul Matthews 773 712 8855 

image 0
image 0

image 1

image 2

"Mr. Paul Matthews" is selling a GiANT "ATTRACTION" FOR GIRLS? That oughta be gold.

I saw a cruiser locked up last week that had the fork turned around backwards. A reflector was bolted to the "front" (back) of the fork - the poor bike was probably assembled that way by the clueless person at a big-box store and the poor owner probably has no idea.

David

James BlackHeron said:

Ah, the old backwards fork trick...

"Collected" bikes from all over the world huh?  Did you actually try and RIDE any of them?

CHEAP CHEAP TOP OF THE LINE BIKES (North Westside)

Date: 2012-07-20, 2:51PM CDT
Reply to: mjjm8-3152255411@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hello, Bikers
MY name is Paul Matthews. I'v collected bikes from ALL AROUND THE WORLD, FOR THE PAST 12 YEARS.
I have all sorts of Bicycles and Tricycles. I'v got to use the basement for storage. So therefor I have to get rid of them :-( . 
I'm making GREAT deals on them, I'v sold many. But Still have Many Great Bicycles. 
SUCH AS : 1. TREK 800 " Mountain Track Ultra Lite"
2. Pro IRONMAN "Made with Titanium Buron Steel"
3. Next " Power Climber" 18 speed SHIMANO SHIFTING
4. GIANT "ATTRACTION" FOR GIRLS
5. MONGOOSE " QUARTZ AL" Torque Driving System, 18 speed, Made of Aluminum Tubing " Lite".
ALL GREAT BIKES AT A " GREAT DEAL" 
Give me a Call
Paul Matthews 773 712 8855 

image 0
image 0

image 1

image 2

Hello, Bikers
MY name is Paul Matthews. I'v collected bikes from ALL AROUND THE WORLD TAIWAN, FOR THE PAST 12 YEARS.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3148682799.html

Has anyone dealt with "Ben" of "Ben's Basement"? He seems to have a lot of decent bikes for very cheap prices, too good to be true? 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service